What's new

My First "Big Boy" Brush... 28mm Shavemac 220... wow!

Man, what a brush. I have to say I thought I was a "small brush" guy before today. My only experience with "big brushes" had been a T&H Regency, which as I see now, wasn't very big at all. I got my Rooney 3/1 combo last week, and I am more than pleased with the pair of them. The pure scrubs like a champ, the silvertip brushes me soft and gentle. I thought "this is it, small brushes are what I've been looking for. I love small brushes!"

Then it happened...

Strolling through the Vintage Blades website, I came across the Shavemac section. Everyone always speaks so highly of them, but they're mostly out of my price range. Out of morbid curiosity, I let my mouse guide me deeper through the hyper links. "50% off?!" I thought. Yes, Jim was blowing out the Shavemac stock in preparation for a new line of brushes we now know was the incoming Plisson selection. While I was excited for the then unknown new items, I couldn't stop thinking about the deeply discounted Shavemacs. I'd tried the best England could give, and I wanted to know what Germany was made of.

After much consideration, Erin (Vintage Blades VP of Operations and undisputed champion of all things AD-enabling) convinced me I needed--rather, helped justify my brushlust for--a Shavemac. When the question of model came around, the old adage "go big or go home" rung true in my choice of the Shavemac 220. 66mm loft? 28mm knot? Yes please! The order was placed, a stand was purchased to accommodate the new king in my den, and thus began the waiting game.

Then it arrived...

Emotions surged, eyes stretched wide, heart raced, hands shook as I took--what else--the previous shave's Crystal IP to the tape constraining the thing it held most gingerly inside. My Shavemac had arrived! Out of the peanuts, out of the plastic, out of the box and onto the counter. This brush is just plain pretty, and I ran off to find my camera. Admittedly, I may have embellished that first part just a bit. Nevertheless, it was certainly exciting.

As I'm sure no one wants to hear of the gentle stroking and fondling that followed the unboxing, I'll just post the pictures to aid those of you still on the fence about grabbing one of these puppies before they're gone. At this price, I couldn't say no, and if you're one of the aforementioned fence-walkers, consider this a solid push off and over to the other side.

What's this? A box from Vintage Blades?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Grand opening.

Upon on it's feet

Standing (rather) tall

Top down

Not sure how I should hang it. I think the right looks better... suggestions?

Big ol' brush

Quite the handful

Comparatively, my lil' ol' brush

Somewhat smaller, but still a handful ;)

One-shave bloom. Still looks to have room for improvement

Top down one-shave bloom

Still not sure how to hang it, still thinking I like the right version better, just worried about scuffing the handle :sad:

Lastly, I would like to say that all wordplay aside, one shave down and I'm damned near in love with the brush already. There are probably bigger brushes out there that I've yet to experience, but this thing nearly swallows my face when lathering up. A few dozen turns in the bowl and I had enough lather to last my three passes (just a quick shave today :wink:) and then some should I have chosen to continue. The biggest difference for me was not the size or softness of the loft or bristles as compared to my other brushes, but the warmth it held between passes. First pass was warm as can be. Second pass gave up the warmth from the heart of the knot with just a little coaxing. Third pass took a hair more pressure to feel the heat from inside, and I'm confident I could've found more if I'd continued on. Hands down, this is a regal brush. It will absolutely make it's way into my rotation.

The LEFT side really displays the brush to it's best!

I share your brush enthusiasm and these three are VERY nice...
Well done!
Nice write up and PICS :)
Tom

That is huge! And it looks really dense. Kong Badger!

What a name! That's what I'll call it!

Man, please don't hold the brushes like that with your thumb and index finger anymore:lol:

I was trying to isolate the handle size by itself :redface:

The LEFT side really displays the brush to it's best!
Tom

The more I look at it, I think prebloom right looked best, postbloom left looks better :thumbup1:

Heh, I've got a 25mm Shavemac coming in tomorrow from Vintage Blades, and I was concerned that it might be too big!

Loved this post!

As an aside, I have the same 3 brushes, though my Shavemac is the more conservative 177. I really like how they complement each other. Great brushes, all of 'em!

Top Bottom