What's new

My dog got skunked

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Not bad. Washed him last night and locked him in the utility room but this morning the house stinks. Dropped him off at the groomer this morning for a professional cleaning but how do I get rid of the house odor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke a lot of nasty shag.

Open a few sticks of Arko.

Best skunk removal wash I've used is baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Make a runny paste, rub it in, set a few minutes, wash out with shampoo. Dogs smell like dogs again. We've tried the store bought skunk shampoos, none work as well.

As to the house, probably just airing it our, and mopping the floor where the dog slept.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Sorry for your smell ..............That is no fun .
I remember one of my dogs getting skunked and of course it was after midnight .
I washed him 5 times that night and 3 more times the next morning .
The house did not suffer as much because of the 5 baths before I let him in.
Like Bill said ,wash the floors and air it out .And the BS and HP really worked good for Me also.

Hydrogen Peroxide + Baking soda + a little Dish Washing Soap. For the next time it occurs. We've got tons of skunks in the neighborhood and dogs are getting sprayed all the time. This recipe works.

Hydrogen Peroxide + Baking soda + a little Dish Washing Soap. For the next time it occurs. We've got tons of skunks in the neighborhood and dogs are getting sprayed all the time. This recipe works.

An excellent remedy. The formula I used was 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of detergent. Put this in a bucket and be aware that it will foam. To be effective this should be made immediately before use.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The Veg.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
More seriously, Febreze often does work if you don't really know what surfaces to hit in your house. Spray that stuff all over the dadgum place (and they have an unscented one so you don't trade one nasty smell for another.)

+1 to that. If you would rather deal with something storebought, Oxyclean takes out about anything.

Recall Sinatra, I think, playing a detective. Dead body odor, closed apt. He put a pan on the stove, added ground coffee. Masked the smell.

An excellent remedy. The formula I used was 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of detergent. Put this in a bucket and be aware that it will foam. To be effective this should be made immediately before use.

This was what worked best on skunk spray on an episode of Mythbusters.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I washed the dog 3 times then in the morning took him to the groomer. Rented an ozone generator and let it run in each room for about an hour. Worked pretty well. Will wash him again tomorrow but I think we came out no worse for the wear.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A couple years ago ago 4 days before Christmas, I had a skunk with distemper climb into the coal shoot under the house let off his full payload while in the process of dying. We woke up and 2 am and EVERYTHING in the house smelled like sunk. The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish soap combo did help with everything that got sprayed, and the ozone generator knocked out the rest after running while were were away for a few days for Christmas kicked the rest. We can almost laugh about it now, almost.

A couple years ago ago 4 days before Christmas, I had a skunk with distemper climb into the coal shoot under the house let off his full payload while in the process of dying. We woke up and 2 am and EVERYTHING in the house smelled like sunk. The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish soap combo did help with everything that got sprayed, and the ozone generator knocked out the rest after running while were were away for a few days for Christmas kicked the rest. We can almost laugh about it now, almost.

Oh god that sounds like a nightmare.

Besides that mixture, as far as ready made products go I recommend the brand Nature's Miracle.

The recipes above are the best. I put charcol on bowls around the house that help speed up the smell removal process.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The recipes above are the best. I put charcol on bowls around the house that help speed up the smell removal process.
Yes, we've done that too. I also strategically place fox urine around the perimeter of my property as a skunk deterrent. Just waiting for the foxes now.

Top Bottom