What's new

My best shaving razors out of 200+ tried

Since I stopped my fierce razor collecting some months ago I have been focused on simply enjoying daily wonderful shaves. And with my preference being mild razors on Feather blades, and having shaved with literally hundreds of razors over the last five years, I feel competent to judge for myself that the following 6 razors are as good as it gets shavewise for me:
  • 1950 Gillette French market Tech (standard post-war head on rare hollow fat handle) - simple, modest & wonderful, no nonsense, my desert island razor and most used of all!
  • 1947 Gillette Hybrid Tech - the smoothest shaver of all I ever tried, with more heft and luxurious rhodium feel.
  • 1940s Reyna - all silver through and through, 125 grams of mini Mexican-made beast. Stunning glow and perfect hand fit once you get used to the short handle. And the most efficient of the six, I need to take a wee bit more care due to the weight, so a slower and immensely wonderful, almost meditative, shave experience. Love it!
  • 2022 Timeless Titanium .68 on Alpha Shaving Techtanium handle - 44 grams of fast & nimble shave heaven.
  • 1958 Gillette Aristocrat 4th gen razor - nickel plated from a #70 set - 2nd smoothest razor I ever tried and a cool TTO experience.
  • 1930s Gillette Goodwill - smoothest OC by far, a magnificent mild shave.
These 6 razors together cover 99% of all my shaves, all being just superb shavers with each their own unique feel to them. I interchange them every couple of shaves, just for the joyful variation, and on top throw in the odd shave here and there with one of my rarer razors, and I appreciate each of them immensely :001_wub:

8DF1B734-E97E-4FBC-B40A-A3A9FE470C9E.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since I stopped my fierce razor collecting some months ago I have been focused on simply enjoying daily wonderful shaves. And with my preference being mild razors on Feather blades, and having shaved with literally hundreds of razors over the last five years, I feel competent to judge for myself that the following 6 razors are as good as it gets shavewise for me:
  • 1950 Gillette French market Tech (standard post-war head on rare hollow fat handle) - simple, modest & wonderful, no nonsense, my desert island razor and most used of all!
  • 1947 Gillette Hybrid Tech - the smoothest shaver of all I ever tried, with more heft and luxurious rhodium feel.
  • 1940s Reyna - all silver through and through, 125 grams of mini Mexican-made beast. Stunning glow and perfect hand fit once you get used to the short handle. And the most efficient of the six, I need to take a wee bit more care due to the weight, so a slower and immensely wonderful, almost meditative, shave experience. Love it!
  • 2022 Timeless Titanium .68 on Alpha Shaving Techtanium handle - 44 grams of fast & nimble shave heaven.
  • 1958 Gillette Aristocrat 4th gen razor - nickel plated from a #70 set - 2nd smoothest razor I ever tried and a cool TTO experience.
These 6 razors together cover 99% of all my shaves, all being just superb shavers with each their own unique feel to them. I interchange them every couple of shaves, just for the joyful variation, and on top throw in the odd shave here and there with one of my rarer razors, and I appreciate each of them immensely :001_wub:

View attachment 1591361
Beautiful collection. I had one of your French Market NEW Raised Flat Bottoms you rated number one with case: #44 replated in the original silver by Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold. I'll probably regret selling it one of these days. What a lovely razor.

I have about 75 DE, SE, and Injector razors in my collection, and I have tough "old man" whiskers on an 86-year-old face.

My smoothest razors seem to be (random order, within type): Gillette Good Will #160, Gillette Sheraton, 1948 Gillette Super Speed, Muhle R-89, Gillette Super Adjustable (Short Handle), Gem 1912 "Damaskeene", Schick Injector Type I, Gillette Trac II, and the Gillette Sensor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
These are my favorites that never stop performing well, some vintage + modern razors. In no order but this list can change.

-Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72, DE , Mfg 2021>, mid range.Razorock Lupo .72, 2021 #2 Gen.jpg

-Star star bar #4 model Lather catcher, SE , Mfg 1929-30, Tame mid range.Star lather catcher Model #4 MFG 1919-20(2).jpg
-Gem 1912 Damaskeene open comb(with new blade:thumbup:), Mfg 1012-17, tame mid range.GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg
-Yaqi Excalibur AC SE, Mfg 2021>, tame mid range. Yaqi1 V2 Excalibur 2021 + Milano polished handle..jpg
-Yaqi TFC adjustable, DE, Mfg 2021>, all ranges.Yaqi V3 TFC adjustable razor, chrome & gun metal color,MFG 2021 2.jpg
-Gillette Fatboy E4, DE, Mfg 1959 4th qtr, all ranges.My 1959 E4 fatboy (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

View attachment 1591361

Is that a British Goodwill? Or a replated US/Canadian model?

View attachment 1591361
I don't know Peter...With the greatest respect, after trying 200+ razors, of the six best of them all, four are Gillettes?? Are you sure you're still being objective? I find that simply hard to believe. In my shaving journey I've also been lucky enough to try lots of different razors from lots of different places. My conclusion: There's many, many razors that are able to give a superb shave, basically a shave that simply cannot be improved upon. For example, in my opinion, a Wuttig from Germany or perhaps a V.I.R. Rotor from Italy. Also, of course, there's lots of razors with limited potential, they'll likely never end up being on very many people's list of favourites, at least as far as "shave quality" goes. Some of these razors are loved just for their build quality and history, and I'll really go out on a limb here and suggest that the Eclipse Red Ring and the Darwin are in such a category! Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, and all meant in good fun, and as always: YMMV!

I don't know Peter...With the greatest respect, after trying 200+ razors, of the six best of them all, four are Gillettes?? Are you sure you're still being objective? I find that simply hard to believe. In my shaving journey I've also been lucky enough to try lots of different razors from lots of different places. My conclusion: There's many, many razors that are able to give a superb shave, basically a shave that simply cannot be improved upon. For example, in my opinion, a Wuttig from Germany or perhaps a V.I.R. Rotor from Italy. Also, of course, there's lots of razors with limited potential, they'll likely never end up being on very many people's list of favourites, at least as far as "shave quality" goes. Some of these razors are loved just for their build quality and history, and I'll really go out on a limb here and suggest that the Eclipse Red Ring and the Darwin are in such a category! Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, and all meant in good fun, and as always: YMMV!

You are right, my friend. Definitely YMMV. I have tried A LOT (but not all, obviously), the Eclipse is on my top 10 too, love that the thing. Rotbart Mond-Extras are great too. Darwins are fun but not the best shavers for me (none of the 3 models I had). But actually, the only one I regretted omitting here is actually the 1st gen Aristocrat (another Gillette!). After posting this I went back to the 1st gen and am enjoying the shaves immensely!

You are right, my friend. Definitely YMMV. I have tried A LOT (but not all, obviously), the Eclipse is on my top 10 too, love that the thing. Rotbart Mond-Extras are great too. Darwins are fun but not the best shavers for me (none of the 3 models I had). But actually, the only one I regretted omitting here is actually the 1st gen Aristocrat (another Gillette!). After posting this I went back to the 1st gen and am enjoying the shaves immensely!
Good to hear from you Peter. Don't be a stranger around here!

Top Bottom