What's new

My 2 band badger black handle collection (4 brushes)

First time posting
IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

3rd is a Shavemac do1 2 band 26mm - 52mm loft, 4th is a Shavemac silvertip 2 band 26mm - 54mm loft
I have one more brush I am waiting on. I think at 5 I am good - hopefully -
-K

That’s a classy set, sir!

How would you describe the differences between the CH2 Silvertip and Manchurian?
Manchurian is significantly more dense with much more backbone and less splay. There is some scritch but I usually like it, I think anymore scritch and it would be somewhat unpleasant. Silvertip has pretty much zero scritch. Manchurian also seems to load quicker on hard soaps and blooms less.

Outstanding!! Those Shavemacs look dense, are they D01’s?
One on the left is do1, the right is a silvertip. They are pretty dense, but I would say the Simpson Manchurian is the most dense brush I currently own.

Manchurian is significantly more dense with much more backbone and less splay. There is some scritch but I usually like it, I think anymore scritch and it would be somewhat unpleasant. Silvertip has pretty much zero scritch. Manchurian also seems to load quicker on hard soaps and blooms less.
Thank you! I might need to procure myself a CH2 Silvertip... I love my CH1 and CH3 Manchurian, but the CH2's backbone is overkill for my tastes. It took >70 shaves to become pleasant, and now it is fine, but there's still almost no flex in the knot.

Thank you! I might need to procure myself a CH2 Silvertip... I love my CH1 and CH3 Manchurian, but the CH2's backbone is overkill for my tastes. It took >70 shaves to become pleasant, and now it is fine, but there's still almost no flex in the knot.
That’s interesting. I only have experience with ch2. I wonder what’s different about the 1 and 3 Manchurian that differentiates them to have less backbone. Maybe the ratio of knot diameter to loft?

That’s interesting. I only have experience with ch2. I wonder what’s different about the 1 and 3 Manchurian that differentiates them to have less backbone. Maybe the ratio of knot diameter to loft?
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if the CH3 had the same amount of hair in grams of the CH2. Put that into a 2mm larger hole and 5-6mm longer loft, and you get a much more enjoyable experience in my view.

The CH1 is different. It is short-lofted and dense, but the knot diameter is small enough that it doesn't become a problem.

Top Bottom