What's new

Mustache Area ATG

I have certainly watched my share of shaving videos on The Tube including one posted today by Chris Bailey "The Shaving Evangelist", and one thing I have noticed is that when shaving ATG in the mustache area, some shavers go right at it and others will continue XTG or WTG.

Personally whenever I try to go ATG (up) in the mustache area my toes curl and strange hissing sounds emanate from me that I can not duplicate at any other time. Watching Mr. Bailey today, he shaved ATG on his stache and did not blink, cry or hiss.

I'm wondering, can you/do you shave ATG in the mustache area, or do you get similar results as I do?

I've had a 'stache for several decades, so I don't have a current recommendation. However, IIRC, I just did a straight WTG, N-to-S pass (of course that's way back before I knew what WTG/XTG/ATG meant, but I digress...) I can't envision thrusting a blade with an upside-down grip, toward my nose...:blink:

I do just fine with my DE going any direction under the nose. I just pull it out of the way and suck my lip down as far as it goes. With my shavette I usually only go NW-SE and I get BBS.

yes I do. my stache grows down and toward the corners of my mouth, so for me ATG in that area is kind of a hybrid motion up and toward the nose. but yes, I do every time and get great results. come to think of it, due to the short distance, its more of a blade buffing motion more than a thrusting action lol

I actually have an easier time going ATG in the 'stache area than in other areas, YMMV. For me the benefit seems to be the increasing slope, so I can sort of scoop into it. In contrast, when I shave against the grain on my neck I have to be careful fighting the decreasing slope, otherwise I get too steep toward the end of my stroke.

I go with, across and against. If I ever get a weeper its normally around my top lip. I tend to curl my lip around my teeth and go against the grain, starting at the corner of my mouth. Slow and steady with no pressure. It does get easier and you go faster.

No, WTG, then XTG works there. I may be getting some ATG, but certainly not going S-N.

I think a S-N pass under the nose is referred to as the fool's pass.

I will occasionally go ATG on the top lip as a 3rd pass but only with my OC Damaskeene, my Blue Tip or an adjustable on 1 or 2. The OC Damaskeene is IMO the very best for ATG in those most sensitive areas.

I will go wtg then atg with my Gillette new lc but with my merkur progress it is much easier. I just dial it down to 1 to 1.5 with the same
wtg and atg pass

No, WTG, then XTG works there. I may be getting some ATG, but certainly not going S-N.

I think a S-N pass under the nose is referred to as the fool's pass.

I have never heard it referred to as the fool's pass, but that is certainly what it is for me! But,,,,YMMV.

At the start it was a bit scary and always had to finish it off mach 3. I could never get a a clean shave above the lip without going atg. I inched my way to the nose, it was incremental increase.

I have no problems going S-N on my upper lip.

Cartridge, DE, Straight, doesn't matter...

Actually, especially with a straight, I find it a lot easier going S-N than any of the other directions

Remember, light touch...

I've never had good luck going ATG on the moustache. I follow the technique of going XTG from side to side that I first saw Mantic do in one of his earlier tutorials.

Top Bottom