What's new

Musgo Real shaving cream in 5 new scents coming soon :-)

I think they may still be tinkering with the formula on the soap. I read that the makers are very eager to get feedback from the users. I noticed from the pics in the link no lanolin. Bummer.

I'll be trying all the creams and the soap to form my own opinion.

If the lime basil smells like the Claus Porto soap of the same name, it is a funky scent. I've used that bath soap before. I liked it but it smelled like "burning rope".

Couldn't resist! Ordered a tube of the oakmoss and the orange amber :drool: Will probably have them by monday.

Couldn't resist! Ordered a tube of the oakmoss and the orange amber :drool: Will probably have them by monday.

Mycket bra! It's unfortunate that I'll be on vacation in the mountains for a week. I get back August 2nd, so I'll have to put my order in for a tube of each then. I can't wait to see the reviews for these start pouring in. My hope is that I find even one that I like just as much as the original Musgo Real. Maybe I'll find several.

Guys, would you say that the scent is straightforward patchouli and vetiver or is there a lot of nuance to it? I'd be happiest if those ingredients were used with a heavy hand, but I also don't mind too much if it is a lighter product blended with other elements.

Guys, would you say that the scent is straightforward patchouli and vetiver or is there a lot of nuance to it? I'd be happiest if those ingredients were used with a heavy hand, but I also don't mind too much if it is a lighter product blended with other elements.

But this thread is about all the new Musgo Real shaving creams, not the old classic one :001_smile

But the old classic smells like vetiver & patchouli - quite strongly.
An almost grassy smell - but strong grassy fresh smell.

Vetiver = some sort of Indian grass with a clean cut scent
Patchouli = very potent strong herb

With these two notes, you get a very strong characterful scent in Musgo Real Classic

Sorry, I am also interested in the new versions, but I still haven't tried the classic yet.

It is most appealing to me because I love those components like you wouldn't believe and I'm happy to hear they deliver with a strong aroma. Thanks CHSeifert.

Getting back on track regarding the new Musgo Real creams, Oak Moss and Spiced Citrus sound pretty good to me. I hope that Fendrihan eventually carries them all so I don't have to search widely for them when the time comes.

Okay so today two new tubes of Musgo arrived to Sweden from Gifts & Care in Spain!
The tubes I got were the new Oak Moss and Orange Amber shaving creams.

I haven't shaved with em yet, just made test lathers so I will give a mini-review and tell you about my experience so far with both creams and then shave with one of them when I get back from my run!

So here we go!

Packaging: 8/10. Comes in a cleanly designed very simple little box containing a similarly designed metal tube. The tube has a nice size and it is easy to squirt out exactly how much cream you want. Nothing super special but nothing to complain about either. It works the way it is intended and looks nice and clean.

Latherability: 10/10. I haven't had anything lather quite like this before as both creams pretty much exploded with lather! First test lather I made I made the mistake of having a too wet brush and it was just ridiculous how much lather I got then. The lather got too airy but the quantity was insane. Next lather I had less water in the brush to start with and I really got what I would call a perfect lather. It was just the right thickness and it had the slightly mirrored finish you get when the lather is really slick and I could feel very good glide between my fingers when I rubbed the lather.

Slickness: As stated above, the slickness was very good for the test lather at least! 9/10 (Only because there MUST be something slicker out there!)

Scents: Here is where I get a bit divided. Both the Oak Moss and Orange Amber smell good but I have to give the edge to the Oak Moss as it smells absolutely AMAZING. I can't describe the scent and if I do I will sound like a schizophreniac as the scent I get from it is both earthy, fresh and lightly woodsy. It smells like a fantastic day in Sweden to be honest :thumbup: The Orange Amber has a nice scent but as I lathered it up I started getting some thoughts like "Hey.. I really recognize this scent from somewhere!" I later realized it smells exactly like some car cleaning product! I am not exactly sure what it is but I think it smells like Turtle Wax. Whatever car cleaning product it was, the scent is dead on so while it smells nice to my nose it might put some people off.

When I get back from my run I will shower and then shave with the Oak Moss as it was my favourite out of the two. I hope the Oak Moss cologne smells as good as the shaving cream :drool: If someone has both or will get both I would love a comparison of the scents!

Conclusion: Really really good creams! Try to find which scent fits you best and go with it! The old regular Musgo is fantastic but the scent wasn't so appealing to everyone so now there's a wide selection of Musgo creams I believe there's one for every nose. There's a lot of talk about the other Portuguese creams like Lavanda and Veleiro being the same but I never got the same quality of lather from those but it might just be improved technique or some form of placebo.

I hope my short little review was tolerable as this is the first time I have ever bothered reviewing a product like this :001_cool:

Last edited:
Okay so today two new tubes of Musgo arrived to Sweden from Gifts & Care in Spain!
The tubes I got were the new Oak Moss and Orange Amber shaving creams.

I haven't shaved with em yet, just made test lathers so I will give a mini-review and tell you about my experience so far with both creams and then shave with one of them when I get back from my run!

So here we go!

Packaging: 8/10. Comes in a cleanly designed very simple little box containing a similarly designed metal tube. The tube has a nice size and it is easy to squirt out exactly how much cream you want. Nothing super special but nothing to complain about either. It works the way it is intended and looks nice and clean.

Latherability: 10/10. I haven't had anything lather quite like this before as both creams pretty much exploded with lather! First test lather I made I made the mistake of having a too wet brush and it was just ridiculous how much lather I got then. The lather got too airy but the quantity was insane. Next lather I had less water in the brush to start with and I really got what I would call a perfect lather. It was just the right thickness and it had the slightly mirrored finish you get when the lather is really slick and I could feel very good glide between my fingers when I rubbed the lather.

Slickness: As stated above, the slickness was very good for the test lather at least! 9/10 (Only because there MUST be something slicker out there!)

Scents: Here is where I get a bit divided. Both the Oak Moss and Orange Amber smell good but I have to give the edge to the Oak Moss as it smells absolutely AMAZING. I can't describe the scent and if I do I will sound like a schizophreniac as the scent I get from it is both earthy, fresh and lightly woodsy. It smells like a fantastic day in Sweden to be honest :thumbup: The Orange Amber has a nice scent but as I lathered it up I started getting some thoughts like "Hey.. I really recognize this scent from somewhere!" I later realized it smells exactly like some car cleaning product! I am not exactly sure what it is but I think it smells like Turtle Wax. Whatever car cleaning product it was, the scent is dead on so while it smells nice to my nice it might put some people off.

When I get back from my run I will shower and then shave with the Oak Moss as it was my favourite out of the two. I hope the Oak Moss cologne smells as good as the shaving cream :drool: If someone has both or will get both I would love a comparison of the scents!

Conclusion: Really really good creams! Try to find which scent fits you best and go with it! The old regular Musgo is fantastic but the scent wasn't so appealing to everyone so now there's a wide selection of Musgo creams I believe there's one for every nose. There's a lot of talk about the other Portuguese creams like Lavanda and Veleiro being the same but I never got the same quality of lather from those but it might just be improved technique or some form of placebo.

I hope my short little review was tolerable as this is the first time I have ever bothered reviewing a product like this :001_cool:

Thank you for that - very informative :thumbup:
I have all 5 MR creams coming my way from a vendor in Portugal a long with both new and old Lavanda versions, Veleiro, Top Secret, O Melhor, Spanish La Toya in 2 versions and 2 versions of an unknown Brazilian made Brut cream........exciting....

I have all 5 MR creams coming my way from a vendor in Portugal a long with both new and old Lavanda versions, Veleiro, Top Secret, O Melhor, Spanish La Toya in 2 versions and 2 versions of an unknown Brazilian made Brut cream........exciting....
I am curious to hear yours and others opinions on the scent of the Orange Amber. I hope I am not the only one that associates the scent with cleaning cars :blink:
I am also curious to hear what you have to say about the Musgo Lavender compared to the new Lavanda. I really like the scent of the Lavanda cologne but the cream isn't as nice as I like a more perfumey lavender which I hope the Musgo is but I didn't order it in case it smells like new Lavanda.

Great review. I am definitely going to get the Oak Moss and the original.

I can really really recommend the Oak Moss. It smells super good!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Musgo classic scent which, sadly, irritated my face. Fortunately the bath bar has the same scent so I can enjoy it that way. I ordered samples of all the new creams and the shaving soap from Garry and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

A little update from me:

I shaved with the Oak Moss and this time I facelathered as I am used to and got a great lather that was super slick!
Loaded up the first DE I ever used, my Mühle R106 with a Personna blade I had gotten when I bought a Super Speed from the BST.
The Personna blade did wonders in the R106 and it had a very nice and crisp cut that left me with a DFS in two passes.
The scent of Oak Moss is absolutely amazing so I skipped using aftershave today so I could hang on to the scent a little longer but I didn't even need to use AS today since the cream left me with a really moisturized face.

I tried lathering the Orange Amber again and I stand by my opinion that it smells like some kind of car cleaner :biggrin1: I actually kind of like it since it reminds me of being with my father cleaning up the cars after working on them and it really isn't a bad scent, I just get this strange association from it.
I definitely will stock up on more Musgo when I run out but I will go through the entire sortiment of new ones and if no one beats Oak Moss I will stick with it.

Shaved with the Orange Amber this morning. It performed well just like the Oak Moss and I can feel the scent evolves the longer you lather it. In the beginning it smells dead on car cleaning product but after a while it matures to a nice orangey scent! My face is just like yesterday super moisturized and I really hope they make AS balms out of the new scents!

I am sure you will also admire the Brut creams,Brazil cranks out some wonderful creams,Bozzano and Bic are also nice.

After being on vacation with only Proraso, I returned home to my Musgo Real (original scent). Fantastic, fantastic shave. I'm sure my prep had something to do with it, but I'm convinced Musgo Real is the one for me. I'm very anxious to try out these new scents, and I hope even one of them matches how well the original works for me. Has anyone tried anything other than the Oak Moss or the Orange Amber? I'm very interested in the Lavender and the Spiced Citrus.

My Musgo Lavender arrived today. I will shave with it tomorrow and report back. I only smelled the tube and the scent is a sweet lavender that I think is going to be amazing once lathered. It has a hint of that pure Musgo scent to it underneath which I like.

My Musgo Lavender arrived today. I will shave with it tomorrow and report back. I only smelled the tube and the scent is a sweet lavender that I think is going to be amazing once lathered. It has a hint of that pure Musgo scent to it underneath which I like.

Did you have a chance to try the lavender? Among the new scents, it's the one I'm the most interested in.

Top Bottom