What's new

Murphy & McNeil

I recently got some samples from Maggard's and now I ordered two full sets of Claddagh and Naid. I really think M&M is on to something and could be one of the best soaps out there currently

I have been using my samples for a while now and have exchanged some emails with Bill, the owner, and the company as a whole seems really positive and they are making a great product. Im awaiting my EDP and AS to see how they work, but I have a feeling they will preform great.
Are there some soap companies that are more in the spotlight right now? Yes, but I think give M&M some more time and they will be right up there with the other "premium" soap companies considering they started in Dec of last year.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've been shaving with my M&M samples (Mandate of Heaven, Kells, Triskele) all week. I'm finding that the scent strength of my three are pretty good, I'd say 5-6/10. I'm not too hung up on strong scents though. As far as the scents go I like them all.

Initial thoughts are that this is an excellent soap base! I get close, irritation free shaves, with excellent post shave feel. No issues at all so far.

I’ve got a tub of the Claddagh inbound but I’m curious if anyone who has tried it has also used a Grooming dept duck fat soap? How does it compare?

I’ve got a tub of the Claddagh inbound but I’m curious if anyone who has tried it has also used a Grooming dept duck fat soap? How does it compare?

Rud’s Did a video review where he said the performance/post shave was elite and compares favorably to GD products

A majority of my den’s soap is GD. I’ve tried all of them and IMHO M&M stands above all brands I have right now. I believe the difference is the ingredient ratios. Also, M&M uses both potassium and sodium chloride while GD uses only potassium. From what I’ve been reading lately this combination is preferred among soap makers to get the benefits of both hard and soft soaps. Plus, I believe M&M has a higher ratio of fatty acids to lye based on comparing their lists of ingredients. This is called superfatting which renders a soap with higher amounts of unincorporated oils producing more moisture and emollient qualities. M&M is just slicker, provides more cushion and moistness, the later is extremely stable without sacrificing slickness and how they have cracked the nut on their scent profiles is seriously an achievement. I pick up the scent vs smelling soap or feeling like it’s too much scent leaning toward an artificial or mass production line. Definitely both have their uniqueness and likes I like or prefer over the other but if I’m stuck on an island and got to choose on... M&M without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rud’s Did a video review where he said the performance/post shave was elite and compares favorably to GD products
I totally agree. I tried a couple of GD but could not get past the scent. Performance was tops. M&M supersedes it or at least equals it.

Right now, I am in a happy place with my shave soaps.

A majority of my den’s soap is GD. I’ve tried all of them and IMHO M&M stands above all brands I have right now. I believe the difference is the ingredient ratios. Also, M&M uses both potassium and sodium chloride while GD uses only potassium. From what I’ve been reading lately this combination is preferred among soap makers to get the benefits of both hard and soft soaps. Plus, I believe M&M has a higher ratio of fatty acids to lye based on comparing their lists of ingredients. This is called superfatting which renders a soap with higher amounts of unincorporated oils producing more moisture and emollient qualities. M&M is just slicker, provides more cushion and moistness, the later is extremely stable without sacrificing slickness and how they have cracked the nut on their scent profiles is seriously an achievement. I pick up the scent vs smelling soap or feeling like it’s too much scent leaning toward an artificial or mass production line. Definitely both have their uniqueness and likes I like or prefer over the other but if I’m stuck on an island and got to choose on... M&M without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hydroxide not chloride... ‍♂️

I totally agree. I tried a couple of GD but could not get past the scent. Performance was tops. M&M supersedes it or at least equals it.

Right now, I am in a happy place with my shave soaps.

I think we are at a really good place with soap offerings in general. Even soaps that are not top tier can and do provide an amazing shave!

I think we are at a really good place with soap offerings in general. Even soaps that are not top tier can and do provide an amazing shave!
That's true, but I am finding I dont use those if I have better. I definitely feel a difference post shave, now that I have been at it for a while.

Those are my two favorite soaps right now, and I'm hard pressed to name a favorite. M&M might be a little better in-shave, GD might be a little better post- shave, but it's just too close to call for me. Both are terrific.

Thanks all of you for the comparative feedback between the two quackkers!
I’m very excited to get this soap, as well as Trinity. I don’t think many tubs of M&M have made it to Australia yet

I am a huge fan of Murphy and McNeil and have made several posts praising Claddagh in another forum. That said, I would not limit myself to comparing M&M to GD’s duck fat base. One reason is that Claddagh has both duck fat and beef tallow. IIRC GD also has duck fat and Beef tallow soaps, or at least it has had them. This brings me to a second point, namely that GD is such a moving target - something which frustrates even some GD fans. (It frustrates me sometimes).

Personally, if I were comparing at all, I would compare the best of M&M (for me) with the best of GD (for me). In any case, if I had to shave with M&M for the rest of my life, I would feel like a very lucky shaver.

Top Bottom