What's new

Multi-tool?

I keep a Leatherman micra packed in my first aid kit and a Leatherman Wave as the go to tool.
I am sure other brands have the same to offer as the Wave but I have found three features I need when I camp.

1. Needle nose pliers.

2. Regular and phillips drivers that have the ability to fit and hold a screw.

3. Blades that will lock in position preventing injury and adding stability.

Thanks all for your input. I decided to go with the Leatherman based on all the glowing endorsments here, but a different model because of the almighty dollars that I lack. So I got the "Fuse". Has a locking blade, and the standard fixings. Super sharp too!

Well it looks like you found something to fill your need, hope it works well for you.

I was just about to recommend a Victorinox Swisstool, which I have recently discovered to be really quite amazing. All the tools lock and are easy to access, the grip is comfortable and the fit and finish are up to Victorinox's usual high quality. I keep one in my bag for daily carry and use, the thing is a real tank of a multi-tool.

I've got a multi-tool branded as Winchester. I bought it at Dick's Sporting goods for $20. I have nicer tools but bought this specifically as a beat up tool. I carry it hunting, camping, on the bass boat and the door pocket of my truck. I bought it for crappy work so I wouldn't ruin a good one doing stupid stuff.

It's over 4 years old now, looks brand new and pretty easy to get a good edge on the blade. Keeps a good edge for a while too. You wouldn't believe what I've put that thing thru.

I don't know who actually makes them for Winchester, I kinda doubt Winchester actually makes it.

Brad

I have a Skeletool that I carry every day,I love it,it has just enough to get me ou of most jams,it's light,thin enough with a pocket clip and it carries easy.I've also got a Wave that I keep pretty handy,it's a little more uncomfortable to carry all the time,they're best in a belt sheath and I very seldom wear a belt but either of those are excellent choices.

I've had a Leatherman Super for a long time. Still working great. I also like the Swiss Multi tool.

i've worn the same SOG Powerlock on my belt for over five years now. for me the real selling point is the gear-powered pliers. i can cut 1/8" wire with ease. another thing i really like is that you can take the thing completely apart for maintenance, no special bits needed; you can even use the empty socket of a multi-head screwdriver.
second choice would be the Swisstool X, for the closed-accessible tools. if the SOG tools were closed-accessible i'd say there's no other.

I've nearly destroyed several leathermen in the past few years. I love 'em for the size & weight, but the blades are a tad brittle. Moral of the story? Use the blades for cutting only!

After some time getting said multi- tool, I carefully reasoned that I needed to replace more camping gear. So I bought a Grohmann #3 (Carbon.... obviously :D) Awesome knife.

Top Bottom