What's new

Minimalist Multitool?

More on market research for this class of tool: Most of the youtube videos demonstrating a given device are basically commercials with electronically produced "rock" or other "cool" sounding music with a beat. :001_rolle Which is really irritating when all you really want to see is a real guy who actually uses the product doing an informative review. (Any youtubers reading, here's a niche that is largely unoccupied compared to more traditional multitool reviews)

I ordered the Lever Gear Toolcard Pro. I'll let you guys know how it does when it arrives, but I don't expect to be disappointed given that it has nothing but 4-5 star reviews on amazon. Like I said in my opening, combined with my pocket knife, I expect it to be able to meet most of my day-to-day needs.

Something that I didn't mention is that I'm rarely without access to at least a more standard-sized multi-tool; I keep a Winchester WinFrame Multitool/bit set in my car.

Come on Amazon. I placed my order (along with some other items) in stock and fulfilled by Amazon last Wednesday. The original arrival date was between Monday and today. I've been watching and watching. The status is still "preparing for shipment." And the arrival date is updated until Friday.

Meanwhile, a Case knife I picked up on Ebay the same day will be here tomorrow, and the one item in my Amazon order fulfilled by an independent seller is coming from Europe and already has a USPS tracking number. n

I want to get my new tool so I can try it out.

I have a Gerber MP600 that I picked up for a couple of bucks at a pawn shop. Needed some repair. I think I'm going to mod it with tools I like better and carry it around.

My Toolcard Pro arrived. Finally. I would have gotten it last Friday, but the post office wasn't being cooperative.

I haven't tested all of the functions, but so far, I like it. I like it a lot. It is just as advertised. One feature I was worried about was the flat, three-bladed (well, really 2.5 bladed) phillips head because several reviewers don't like anything less than a full phillips and were less charitable in their assessment of its functionality. I spent the afternoon tightening screws around my house, and both the flathead and the phillips drivers do what they're supposed to do. And so far, this card seems resistant to scratching, which was another worry I had. The prybar works for prying; not so good for pulling nails, but it does better than a flat headed screwdriver. I'll probably mainly use it for prying staples.

I'll tell you what, with these functions alone (plus the bottle opener), I'm extremely happy to have this in my wallet.

I had a credit card size multi tool you keep in your wallet, but got rid of it as it made my wallet too heavy. I had a key ring one from leatherman I believe, but it wrecked my work pants over a short time. I very rarely used the screwdriver on either of them, but none of the other functions. I was never really impressed with either as far as usefulness. I think one is still hanging on my big backpack. I just keep my Gerber 600 in the glovebox of my pickup and call it good.

I did see leatherman now sells a watch band that is a multi tool. It looks cool, not sure about functionality though.

I had a credit card size multi tool you keep in your wallet, but got rid of it as it made my wallet too heavy.

I carry, by choice, an extremely heavy briefcase (at least so it was described by a burly deputy who lifted it to hand to me--I don't consider it to be that heavy though it is five or six pounds empty), so I'm not overly concerned with weight. As long as my wallet is slim, it can be as heavy as it likes (within reason). The thing I like about keeping it in my wallet is the tool's not knocking about in my pocket wearing the fabric.

I had a key ring one from leatherman I believe, but it wrecked my work pants over a short time.

Exactly one of my worries--I traditionally carry a lot of keys and a heavy pocket knife... which did wear through one of my pockets. I've lessened my load considerably since those days.

I very rarely used the screwdriver on either of them...

My feeling is that I will most often use the screwdriver, and to me, just having that functionality (and the bottle opener) is worth the extra ounce in my wallet.

I just keep my Gerber 600 in the glovebox of my pickup and call it good.

I do that too (Winchester Winframe), but I've been traveling by plane more, and I'm tired of being tool-less when I go out of state.

I did see leatherman now sells a watch band that is a multi tool. It looks cool, not sure about functionality though.

Yeah. It's called the Tread. Here's a review from the Late Boy Scout; it has its good and not-so-good points.

How about a decent inexpensive single blade, locking pocket knife. Byrd? You get a knife, screwdriver, bottle opener, box cutter, fingernail clipper, toothpick(!!), scalpel, sliver getter outter, pencil sharpener, fish and game cleaner, awl, etc...

Come on admit it. How many have used their pocket knife to open a bottle? Pick the jerky from your teeth? Do minor surgery?

Surprised no one has mentioned the P-38 Can Opener. Small, it can attach to your key ring, and, in addition to opening cans, can cut twine and small cords and serve as a flat screwdriver.

Over the years I've found I've needed a can opener much more than a bottle opener. We used to put the edge of the bottle cap on a strong projection and open bottles that way. But opening a can is more difficult. I don't remember the last time I used the bottle opener on my Leatherman (the original Supertool), but have used the can opener to open large cans.

I carry a P-38 can opener on my key ring. I also carry a Gerber Shard, the latter for when I have to go through security of some sort. I tried to go minimalist carry with a tiny LED penlight; a Victorinox Pioneer, and the Shard, but immediately found myself in situations where I needed pliers. That's the tool I use most on my Leatherman.

Have no idea what security would say over the P-38. If they didn't like that collapsible blade, it could be problematic, especially attached to a key ring.

There are cheap mini multitools similar to the Leatherman that work surprisingly well. Those might be worth looking into.

Top Bottom