What's new

Multi-tool?

Hey Guys,

I'm in the middle of replacing some old camping gear. I'm picking up a Grohmann #3 boat knife, but I'm perpetually stumped by the multi-tool, as evidenced by my previous crappy swiss army knife. Can someone recommend a good bare-bones multitool? One tool I keep seeing but I'm not sure about is the Skeletool by Leatherman. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

I don't do well with multitools. I tear them up and they do a little of everything ok but nothing well.

Managing a tow yard/junk yard/auto shop for a little while, I had plenty of chance to wring out various tools, multitools etc... and I found what WORKS and works well (for me, under hard use)

Here it is-

A Klein 5 in 1 Screwdriver http://www.acetoolonline.com/Klein-32476-12CS-5-in-1-Screwdriver-Nut-Driver-p/kle-32476-12cs.htm

4" Vice Grips (hard to find, but I found them for you) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YRL1K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

And a decent plain ol' pocket knife (which I believe one should have on them if they have clothes on)

Gerber Diesel or Compact Sport...the compact sport is the standard version and the Diesel is slightly beefier. I carry a Black Diesel on my military kit every day and it gets a lot of use. I have had it for almost 4 years and it's still going strong. I have had a leatherman in the past and I think the gerber is of much more functionality due to how it opens and the durability.

Legion

Staff member
I have a Leatherman Charge with titanium scales which I keep in my bag for emergencies. It is far from a bare-bones model, but it has taken care of everything I have thrown at it so far.

+ The fact that you can open both knife blades one handed and they lock, very handy.

Leatherman Juice - it"s smaller but works well for me. I'm usually doing smaller work with it. Anything larger, I use tools designed for that purpose (automotive, etc).

I have a 10 year-old Leatherman. I use it for camping and fishing. It's been through the wringer and still provides excellent service. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Leatherman.

I use multitools daily for my job, I've tried gerber, leatherman and swisstool. The one I like most is the Victorinox SwissTool X.

SOG B66-N is a model you may want to investigate. I've had one for over 10 years and it handles any task put to it.

I have a 10 year-old Leatherman. I use it for camping and fishing. It's been through the wringer and still provides excellent service. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Leatherman.

+1. My Leatherman has been used and abused but still is ready for action. Used to be an everyday wear for me but the last decade or so it has been relegated to the camping box.

My Leatherman is at least ten years old, and still going strong. There are several good brands. Look hard at the features of each and relate them to what happens, or what you think might happen, in your life that will need a tool. As an example, many SA knives have a corkscrew, essential perhaps in Europe, but wanted only by some in this country. I like a second cutting blade that I can keep razor sharp and unused, in case I have to cut on myself or another human.

Sog & Leatherman are great
I have a Leatherman skeletool cx and a Sog Paratool.
Build quality on the leathermans make it worth the premium though.

I don't do well with multitools. I tear them up and they do a little of everything ok but nothing well.

Managing a tow yard/junk yard/auto shop for a little while, I had plenty of chance to wring out various tools, multitools etc... and I found what WORKS and works well (for me, under hard use)

Here it is-

A Klein 5 in 1 Screwdriver http://www.acetoolonline.com/Klein-32476-12CS-5-in-1-Screwdriver-Nut-Driver-p/kle-32476-12cs.htm

4" Vice Grips (hard to find, but I found them for you) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YRL1K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

And a decent plain ol' pocket knife (which I believe one should have on them if they have clothes on)

I agree with Ace, except I used a 6" slipjoint pliers myself.

I have owned, used, abused, and sold all the major brands and types of multi tools. I have dealt with Leatherman, Gerber, Buck (yes they made a couple), Schrade, Victorinox, several no name ones and SOG. All the major brands offer a lifetime or 25 year warranty on them and I have dealt with Leatherman, Gerber, Buck and Sog with warranty issues and they are all pretty good.

The only one that I carry with me on my belt is the SOG Power Lock. They are pricey but the way they are made and designed are second to none. They also have a top notch warranty and customer service. I managed to break the pliers on mine so I sent it in for repair. They fixed my multi tool with out any questions and they also rehabbed the rest of the tool. Not only that they put a couple of upgraded bits in it.

I have sold several Multi tools on Ebay In fact that is a good place to get a used one. Since the above brands are warrantied, if you have problem with what you bought just send it in and the company will either repair or upgrade to a new one.

What features and you looking for?

Attachments

• $DSCF2389_edited.jpg
    $DSCF2389_edited.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 173
  • $DSCF2390_edited.jpg
    $DSCF2390_edited.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 174
I've still got my original Leatherman that must be 20 years old now. It still gets a lot of use. I carry a small Gerber Clutch in my pocket every day. Those little pliers come in very handy...

Top Bottom