What's new

Mullen88: A Shave Odyssey

@Mullen88, I just read through your whole journal here. Wow, some amazing gear and very good reads/reviews!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my journal. I really appreciate it, and the kind words. I’ll be back to posting regularly after this weekend. Stop in again soon. Cheers.

E525AA7A-52DD-44A4-9BA6-B956EA2FFA33.jpeg

A gorgeous handle from LoveYourShave headed for a new head of hair from Declaration Brushworks.

B44594EA-6DE2-4C29-A64A-F5267D3F2482.jpeg
78AEB898-C026-4F86-87E3-F04ADA74A7CD.jpeg

A stunning brush from Grizzly Bay. “Black Widow” with a silver fox knot. Pictures don’t do this thing justice. Just amazing.

I almost bought that handle 3 times!!! It is quite unique, and no doubt a thing of beauty! But in the end I remain satisfied with this guy I had Vlad put an Elite manchurian white fan into...

proxy.php

I have a Hucklaration B3 on the way....

That is a thing of beauty. I’ve had my eyes on those styles for a bit now. Superb work and that knot looks amazing.

C347B0B5-A824-4F78-80F5-CEF206DD5CA0.jpeg

The Karve CB was so good I ordered a second. This time with a 3” handle. Got the D plate again... it’s that good.

And finally I have the set of Y/R/P. One of my all time favourite scents. Just intoxicating. Cheers.

Awesome! Love the Y/R/P (not to mention this whole thread Mullen) and just got my soap in the mail.
Now have the soap and the CL Salve and giving serious thought to an add of the Splash and/or Toner, too.
Enjoy 'em

Awesome! Love the Y/R/P (not to mention this whole thread Mullen) and just got my soap in the mail.
Now have the soap and the CL Salve and giving serious thought to an add of the Splash and/or Toner, too.
Enjoy 'em

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Y/R/P is amazing, you have great taste. I've had the splash and salve for a bit and eagerly awaiting this package. These collaborations are truly amazing.

Cheers,
Sean

Shave Of The Day - May 6, 2018

IMG_0129.JPG

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lavender Pre-Shave Butter
Shave Soap: Eufros Fougère
Aftershave: Top Secret Fougère
Brush: Wild West Brushworks "P. Parker" 24mm Tuxedo
Stand: Wild West Brushworks "P. Parker"
Razor: Karve CB, D Plate, 3,5" Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)

Finally able to lather up some Eufros thanks to a great trade with @discerningbev. It's been a long time coming and I have to say, the hype is real.

The scent is a nice fresh fougère that is very enjoyable and also quite versatile; it would pair nicely with a lot of fougère aftershaves.

I bloomed this soap for my first go and the lather exploded within seconds of swirling my brush. In no time I was looking at a beautiful lather that reminded me of Grooming Dept. The protection and glide was excellent and allowed the amazing Karve to do what it does best.... tear my growth down with ease, and the scent really perked up while on the first pass. The post-shave is what separates a great soap from an amazing soap for me and this one impressed. It was smooth and soothing but it felt different from others, in a good way. This is only my first use but I can tell this base is superior to a lot of soaps out there, I can't say it's in my top five yet but we'll see after more uses. I'm very happy with this soap and can see myself grabbing a couple more tubs, maybe a balm or two. Great stuff.

"P. Parker" gave a stellar performance and looked wonderful doing it. This brush and stand are absolute works of art, the pictures just don't do it justice. The 24mm Tuxedo is a workhorse for me and, seemingly, can do no wrong.

The Karve D Plate gave me an amazing shave, like usual, and is now my favourite razor in the den. There may be a razor exodus soon thanks to this Canadian made phenom. Truly unbelievable.

Cheers,
Sean.

Shave Of The Day - May 7, 2018

IMG_0130.JPG

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lime Butter
Shave Soap: Barrister and Mann Fougère Gothique
Aftershave Splash: Barrister and Mann Fougère Gothique
Brush: Grizzly Bay "Black Widow" with a Silver Fox Synth
Razor: Karve CB, D Plate, 3.5" Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
EdP: Barrister and Mann Fougère Gothique

Scent notes: lavender, oakmoss, tonka, balsam fir, bergamot, vetiver, geranium, cedar, earth, sandalwood, musk, leather, and tuberose are darkened by the touch of Hell, kissed with the essence of ashes and the smoldering flame.

This soap is absolutely amazing in every way. The scent is so unique and grabbing I think I could use it every day.... not if the wife has any say though. The earth note really opens and then a sweetness takes over leaving the geranium, leather, and vetiver to finish things off. Truly an achievement in fragrance composition. It's the reserve base which has an amazing lather, protection and glide, and post-shave feel. Love it, and it looks great in the coffret.

I decided to try the aftershave out again but alas, bad idea. It burned me again. Oh well. If you can see the little gold mark on the left of the bottle that's Will's signature, we met at a recent meetup and my fanboy tendencies took over and I asked for a signature, I couldn't help myself.

This is my first Grizzly Bay brush and I have to say, it is unbelievable. Not only does it look terrific but the ergonomics are near perfection. I can see why these brushes sell out so quickly. Kudos Mr. Williams, you make an amazing brush. The knot was quite nice as well, not that far off from a tuxedo with great backbone and splay. Can't wait to pick another one of these up.

The Karve is just amazing. Best razor in my den by a mile. A RAD killer to be sure.

Cheers,
Sean.

Shave Of The Day - May 6, 2018

View attachment 882131

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lavender Pre-Shave Butter
Shave Soap: Eufros Fougère
Aftershave: Top Secret Fougère
Brush: Wild West Brushworks "P. Parker" 24mm Tuxedo
Razor: Karve CB, D Plate, 3,5" Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)

Finally able to lather up some Eufros thanks to a great trade with @discerningbev. It's been a long time coming and I have to say, the hype is real.

The scent is a nice fresh fougère that is very enjoyable and also quite versatile; it would pair nicely with a lot of fougère aftershaves.

I bloomed this soap for my first go and the lather exploded within seconds of swirling my brush. In no time I was looking at a beautiful lather that reminded me of Grooming Dept. The protection and glide was excellent and allowed the amazing Karve to do what it does best.... tear my growth down with ease, and the scent really perked up while on the first pass. The post-shave is what separates a great soap from an amazing soap for me and this one impressed. It was smooth and soothing but it felt different from others, in a good way. This is only my first use but I can tell this base is superior to a lot of soaps out there, I can't say it's in my top five yet but we'll see after more uses. I'm very happy with this soap and can see myself grabbing a couple more tubs, maybe a balm or two. Great stuff.

"P. Parker" gave a stellar performance and looked wonderful doing it. This brush and stand are absolute works of art, the pictures just don't do it justice. The 24mm Tuxedo is a workhorse for me and, seemingly, can do no wrong.

The Karve D Plate gave me an amazing shave, like usual, and is now my favourite razor in the den. There may be a razor exodus soon thanks to this Canadian made phenom. Truly unbelievable.

Cheers,
Sean.
Great review! Thanks!

Wow, Sean, these are some beautiful shaves. I am really smitten by that Grizzly Bay brush. What a gorgeous object. And I’ve just discovered the joy of synths myself. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Karve razor.

If you have used a Slim razor, what plate would correspond to setting from 3 to 6? Any guess?

Wow, Sean, these are some beautiful shaves. I am really smitten by that Grizzly Bay brush. What a gorgeous object. And I’ve just discovered the joy of synths myself. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much.

Yes, I’m totally obsessed with Grizzly Bay as well. His brushes are not only stunning but very comfortable and ergonomic. Just amazing stuff.

More Brushes Mail Call

I wish these artisans would stop making these gorgeous works of art.

FA3072EA-A494-4F8F-A235-61403A3782E3.jpeg

TurnNShave “Alpha” 26mm Tuxedo

5DF7ECBF-4245-4EDF-B5EC-5CC5829392BF.jpeg

TurnNShave “Loui” 24mm Tuxedo

A6A3C151-1982-4272-A16A-54013133A0C4.jpeg

Just gorgeous. Kudos to Milton at TurnNShave. Cheers.

Shave Of The Day - May 9, 2018

IMG_0132.JPG

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lavender Butter
Shave Soap: Barrister and Mann 42
Aftershave Splash: Top Secret Lime
Brush: TurnNShave "Alpha" 26mm Tuxedo
Razor: Karve CB, D Plate, 3.5" Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
EdT: Barrister and Mann 42

Scent notes: Petunias, Ambergris, Tea, Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

This soap smells devine, like many Barrister and Mann soaps. Will truly is a fragrance phenom and is pushing the limits of scent creation with almost every release. This is a nice balanced accord that has hints of florals, citrus, and smooth tea that come together to form a beautiful olfactory experience that deserves to be in any den. The performance of this base is quite good. It creates a wonderful lather, the protection and glide is substantial, and the post-shave feel is great, but not amazing. The Reserve base post-shave feel is much better but this soap still has its place in my cabinet.

I didn't use the splash because it gives me a reaction that is very undesirable but I thought I'd throw it in the picture anyway.

The new brush, "Alpha", whipped up a wonderful lather and performed its face-lathering duties superbly. This is a stunning brush and was a joy to use.

The Karve CB gave me an amazing shave and has firmly cemented itself as my best, and favourite razor. This is my first shave with a Polsilver and it provided me with a great shave but didn't impress me enough yet that I'd buy a 100 pack.... we'll see after more uses.

The EdT smells just as delicious as the soap and has great longevity. This set is a must-have in my eyes.

Cheers,
Sean.

Top Bottom