What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

Ordered me one and I'm curious how it will shave. It is still in the mail. After shaving with the Merkur slant for years I converted to straight razors, maybe this one will convert me back to DE shaving. I was always hoping that Merkur would sell a 3-piece slant made from stainless steel but sadly they didn't until today. Because the standard Muhle R41 gave me close shaves too I couldn't resist to order me one in stainless steel then.
About 5% more aggressive then the Reg 41 ( I have both) just the handle didn't work for me so I changed it. At this point I will not part from my razor, and yes I use every day.

It has Arrived.

Attachments

• 067A9515-F6F0-43FF-AE1C-50C2FCECEFDE.jpeg
    067A9515-F6F0-43FF-AE1C-50C2FCECEFDE.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 4EDD9E1A-5339-42D3-9753-BAC2FED1F8E2.jpeg
    4EDD9E1A-5339-42D3-9753-BAC2FED1F8E2.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 74

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes it is a worthy addition Brad thats for sure. If I can say this razor is as good as CG lvl3 or Wolfman 1.45 wr2 or Blackbird Ti, Thats saying Alot. I was lucky enough to have a good friend over in the United Kingdom. Im still in the honeymoon period with the r41 ti (r41 Grande Titanium aka GT). It was beautifully explained by @JAHE

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes it is a worthy addition Brad thats for sure. If I can say this razor is as good as CG lvl3 or Wolfman 1.45 wr2 or Blackbird Ti, Thats saying Alot. I was lucky enough to have a good friend over in the United Kingdom. Im still in the honeymoon period with the r41 ti (r41 Grande Titanium aka GT). It was beautifully explained by @JAHE

View attachment 1348033Not stainless But I’m totally in love with how the R41 GT shaves… Elite Razor that’s for sure. Pic or it didn’t happen, lol:

I've not yet used my SS R41, but I've lucked on a way to acquire the titanium version, so I'll be joining the hat trick club.

That's assuming everything goes according to plan of course. The eggs haven't hatched.

This has been a very interesting thread for me to read and read again.

I gave one of my original zamac heads to a young shaver, just 16 years old. He may be young but he's got a thick and heavy beard. Anyway, he seems to like the R41 a lot. He's found it to be very effective. He alternates it with the other razor I gave him which is the wonderful SLOC. Don't worry. I have a spare SLOC, too.

Exactly why I've not yet used the R41 GS is a mystery, but I've enjoyed admiring it. I must be saving it for a special shave or something.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've not yet used my SS R41, but I've lucked on a way to acquire the titanium version, so I'll be joining the hat trick club.

That's assuming everything goes according to plan of course. The eggs haven't hatched.

This has been a very interesting thread for me to read and read again.

I gave one of my original zamac heads to a young shaver, just 16 years old. He may be young but he's got a thick and heavy beard. Anyway, he seems to like the R41 a lot. He's found it to be very effective. He alternates it with the other razor I gave him which is the wonderful SLOC. Don't worry. I have a spare SLOC, too.

Exactly why I've not yet used the R41 GS is a mystery, but I've enjoyed admiring it. I must be saving it for a special shave or something.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I had the opportunity to buy a R41 Ti a couple of weeks ago, but decided to pass. I do enjoy the significant gain of weight the GS comes with, so there was no reason for me to add the rather light weight Ti (66g).
The SS constantly gives me top notch shaves I couldn't be happier with, so it felt easy to pass. And I'm not a collector.

I hope your deal will work out as intended. However, you just should give the SS a ride soon. The R41GS doesn't need a special day, but might provide a special day 😉

Happy shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had the opportunity to buy a R41 Ti a couple of weeks ago, but decided to pass. I do enjoy the significant gain of weight the GS comes with, so there was no reason for me to add the rather light weight Ti (66g).
The SS constantly gives me top notch shaves I couldn't be happier with, so it felt easy to pass. And I'm not a collector.

I hope your deal will work out as intended. However, you just should give the SS a ride soon. The R41GS doesn't need a special day, but might provide a special day 😉

Happy shaves!

Good plan.

1640104140767.png

That's not true of course. Not yarn. Not a collector.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm getting around to trying out the R41 GT after all...

On Christmas, I chatted with an old work colleague on the phone (also a wet shaving enthusiast, but not active on B&B), whom I had not spoken for some time. Turns out my colleague had bought an R41GT at Mühle's flagstore in Berlin when the Berlin LE was released in fall 2021. He finds the shaving results with the R41 GT absolutely convincing and excellent, but he told me the razor feels just too light for his liking (go figure :laugh:). I therefore advised him to check out the R41 GS as an potential alternative. Ok ok, in fact I enabled him... lol.

A couple of hours later he called me again and asked if maybe I might want to buy his Titanium, since otherwise he would sell it on the 'bay soon. He would give it away for a really attractive price to me and get himself a stainless steel R41 instead.

Now, as you can imagine, I debated myself back and forth. But the next day, I decided to accept. The offer was too tempting not to accept. If I end up not liking the GT, I will certainly be able to sell it again without relevant financial loss - unlike the other Ti a few weeks ago which I could have bought but didn't.

The package is on its way now and should arrive this weekend or early next week. Then I will see how the R41 GT feels in reality. Since it is my first Ti razor ever, it will be a new experience in any case...

BTW, how's your UK-import going? 😉

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim,

I'm getting around to trying out the R41 GT after all...

On Christmas, I chatted with an old work colleague on the phone (also a wet shaving enthusiast, but not active on B&B), whom I had not spoken for some time. Turns out my colleague had bought an R41GT at Mühle's flagstore in Berlin when the Berlin LE was released in fall 2021. He finds the shaving results with the R41 GT absolutely convincing and excellent, but he told me the razor feels just too light for his liking (go figure :laugh:). I therefore advised him to check out the R41 GS as an potential alternative. Ok ok, in fact I enabled him... lol.

A couple of hours later he called me again and asked if maybe I might want to buy his Titanium, since otherwise he would sell it on the 'bay soon. He would give it away for a really attractive price to me and get himself a stainless steel R41 instead.

Now, as you can imagine, I debated myself back and forth. But the next day, I decided to accept. The offer was too tempting not to accept. If I end up not liking the GT, I will certainly be able to sell it again without relevant financial loss - unlike the other Ti a few weeks ago which I could have bought but didn't.

The package is on its way now and should arrive this weekend or early next week. Then I will see how the R41 GT feels in reality. Since it is my first Ti razor ever, it will be a new experience in any case...

BTW, how's your UK-import going? 😉

Boy, howdy, that was a score. I would have hesitated like a millionth of a second.

The package which I think contains my titanium R41 has arrived. It's at my office. I've not been to the office since it arrived on Wednesday. I may go to the office on Friday or Monday.

Working virtually has advantages and disadvantages.

Congratulations on the Berliner.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Boy, howdy, that was a score. I would have hesitated like a millionth of a second.

The package which I think contains my titanium R41 has arrived. It's at my office. I've not been to the office since it arrived on Wednesday. I may go to the office on Friday or Monday.

Working virtually has advantages and disadvantages.

Congratulations on the Berliner.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Awesome, Jim!
That's some great news regarding your Londoner! 😀

Happy shaves!

Berlin's calling!

20220108_170751-01.jpeg

My parcel arrived today safe and sound.

When I grapped the razor for the very first time I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I'm used to the weight of the GS and since the GT has the same dimensions/shape I was surprised how lightweighted the GT is (though it is not a lightweighted razor, with a blade loaded she 😉 weighs 67 g). We'll see if I will get used to the weight...

My overall first impression is satisfying. I really like the sand blasted matte finish, it looks cool and feels great. Though this razor is not brand new, it represents like being unused. My colleague confirmed he shaved with it just a hand full of times. It looks and feels as new.

The fit and finish is impeccable, the threading is maybe a little tad "scratchy" for such an top tier quality razor (the GS feels smoother). But maybe this characteristic comes due to the Titanium, idk. Don't get me wrong, the feel of the threading is definitely not too bad, but not "Karve smooth" (imo, the smoothness of the threading of the brass Karve CB resembles the gold standard, at least in my den...) maybe the threading will even smooth out in course of time with further uses.

The handle's knurling feels rather soft - however I do like how this GT handle feels in my hand. Now I get the statement "Ti feels different". I do hope the handle doesn't get slippery once wet, though.

The debut shave will take place on Sunday!

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Berlin's calling!

View attachment 1390717
My parcel arrived today safe and sound.

When I grapped the razor for the very first time I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I'm used to the weight of the GS and since the GT has the same dimensions/shape I was surprised how lightweighted the GT is (though it is not a lightweighted razor, with a blade loaded she 😉 weighs 67 g). We'll see if I will get used to the weight...

My overall first impression is satisfying. I really like the sand blasted matte finish, it looks cool and feels great. Though this razor is not brand new, it represents like being unused. My colleague confirmed he shaved with it just a hand full of times. It looks and feels as new.

The fit and finish is impeccable, the threading is maybe a little tad "scratchy" for such an top tier quality razor (the GS feels smoother). But maybe this characteristic comes due to the Titanium, idk. Don't get me wrong, the feel of the threading is definitely not too bad, but not "Karve smooth" (imo, the smoothness of the threading of the brass Karve CB resembles the gold standard, at least in my den...) maybe the threading will even smooth out in course of time with further uses.

The handle's knurling feels rather soft - however I do like how this GT handle feels in my hand. Now I get the statement "Ti feels different". I do hope the handle doesn't get slippery once wet, though.

The debut shave will take place on Sunday!

I bit of oil on the threads? That's what I'll do with mine. (My titanium London R41 is at my office, but I've not yet been there to open the package. Working virtually.)

I'm looking forward to your shave report.

Karve threads are quite impressive, the gold standard in my view too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The fit and finish is impeccable, the threading is maybe a little tad "scratchy" for such an top tier quality razor (the GS feels smoother). But maybe this characteristic comes due to the Titanium
Correct. Take it from a machinist. Titanium has a tendency to gall.
smoothness of the threading of the brass Karve CB resembles the gold standard
There is a reason that bearings are made from brass and bronze.

I hate titanium threads, that is why I put bronze nosepieces on my titanium handles!
20210918_202609[1].jpg

doug

Correct. Take it from a machinist. Titanium has a tendency to gall.

There is a reason that bearings are made from brass and bronze.

I hate titanium threads, that is why I put bronze nosepieces on my titanium handles!
View attachment 1390778
doug
Thanks for your input, Doug, your experience is very appreciated!

I've already admired your stunning work in the Lupo brotherhood tread. Honestly, your handles with these bronze nosepieces look nothing but amazing. If you ever decide to part with one of these stunning pieces of craftmanship, please feel free to think of me...

Have a great day.

I’m a long time (zamak) R41 user, and just picked up an R41 GS. I love the SS head, but the handle is quite heavy and changes the balance of the razor. It also seems even *more* slippery when wet than the original.

How are people finding the new handle? Are a lot of people switching to another knurled handle?

I’m a long time (zamak) R41 user, and just picked up an R41 GS. I love the SS head, but the handle is quite heavy and changes the balance of the razor. It also seems even *more* slippery when wet than the original.

How are people finding the new handle? Are a lot of people switching to another knurled handle?
Being an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy)... I immediately replaced the slippery, heavyweight (78g), vaulting pole handle with my magical grippy, lightweight (14g), GT handle (made for me by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)).

Maneuverability is now excellent and the handle passes the ultimate test — I don't notice it when I'm shaving.

The complete loaded razor now weighs 51g. Here it is beside the ridiculous (IMO) Mühle handle:
R41GT+Stupid-Handle_2022-01-08.jpg

I don't mind the handle. I haven't had any issues with it slipping. It wouldn't hurt if they deepened the knurling some. I have a couple of other handles I'm going to try to see if I might like one better, but so far so good.

20211202_201453.jpg

First thing I did, the original handle is horrible the head is great.

Top Bottom