What's new

Muhle 89 vs EJ 89 Handle

Based on pictures, it looks like the Muhle 89 has a more textured handle than the EJ 89L (which just has texture "lines"). Which one has better grip? I don't particularly want to pay 2 times the price for the same razor head, but the EJ 89L chrome handle doesn't look like it has much grip.

Was also considering a Merkur HD, partly because of the textured handle, but I think threads on here have convinced me the Muhle/EJ heads provide better shaves.

I currently have a Progress Long Handle. One thing I really don't like about it is the grip, which gets annoyingly slick when any soap or lather gets on it.

Thanks for the input.

Leonard

EDIT: for the EJ 89, I meant the EJ89L - which is the chrome version with the lines in the handle, not the smooth chrome. Updated above for that nuance.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have the Edwin Jagger DE 89 with smooth Chrome finish and have never had issues. The handle offers an excellent and safe grip even with wet hands.

I've had both. I sold my EJ because of this issue. I know others here disagree, but I found the handle to be very slick on the EJ when it got the least bit wet. I find that the R89 has better balance and definitely has a better grip. They are both beautiful razors. As far as handling and ease of use, the Muhle R89 gets my vote. I love it. As you said, the heads are the same and therefore shave the same. I strictly have an "ease of use" issue with the EJ. When I had mine, I hardly used it and kept going back to one of my many Gillettes. I use my R89 much more. It simply is easier to control. But as most things here, YMMV.

Last edited:
Let's throw a 3rd option in there - the Edwin Jagger with the Chatsworth handle.

Any thoughts how this handle compares for grip to the EJ 89L or Muhle R89?

I have the Chatsworth in faux ivory, EJ89L and the Muhle R41. The Chatsworth was my starter razor and never had issues with grip. The same can be said of the 89L. Never had any slippage. The Muhle handle is definitely more textured, but I do not find any difference in grip to the EJ's. All 3 are fine with me.

David

Based on pictures, it looks like the Muhle 89 has a more textured handle than the EJ 89L (which just has texture "lines"). Which one has better grip? I don't particularly want to pay 2 times the price for the same razor head, but the EJ 89L chrome handle doesn't look like it has much grip.

Was also considering a Merkur HD, partly because of the textured handle, but I think threads on here have convinced me the Muhle/EJ heads provide better shaves.

I currently have a Progress Long Handle. One thing I really don't like about it is the grip, which gets annoyingly slick when any soap or lather gets on it.

Thanks for the input.

Leonard

EDIT: for the EJ 89, I meant the EJ89L - which is the chrome version with the lines in the handle, not the smooth chrome. Updated above for that nuance.

I also have the EJ 89L and R41. I find both are excellent to use and have not found either to have a slippage issue. Quality is top notch on both and if I was buying again would still opt for the EJ 89L over a Muhle.

I also have a Merkur Progress and the grip on the EJ is much better. The handle seems slightly thicker and the razor is better balanced creating a much better (safer?) feel.

Thanks everyone.

I decided to order the Muhle R89. Will see how it goes once it has arrived.

Again, thanks for the time to respond to my question.

Leonard

I know the R89 is a little pricey, but I truly believe you will love it. Full Disclosure: In my previous post I forgot to mention that the EJ I had was the one with the lined handle ( the one with the supposed better grip, but as I said, that was not my experience) The Muhle is the superior razor, IMHO, and as always, you get what you're willing to pay for. Good luck and happy shaving!

I have the EJ89, and the Merkur progress converted to the mergress. The handle on both of these is wet most of the time when I am shaving and neither razor slips or twist while shaving. The key is to keep the lather residue off the handle. Wet is fine lather is a disaster. I have a number of older razors that are far tougher to maintain when wet than either of the two mentioned, and most have a tectured handle.

Mike

P.S. Enjoy what ever you purchases and use it in good health.

Top Bottom