What's new

Muhl/EJ Brass Thread Replacement Top Cap

The handles are plated brass, as far as I know.

That was my understanding also.

Has this always been the case, did they used to be Zamak?

Maybe my comprehension is off but I am reading on the second page that people are worried about Zamak handles on the DE89.

Germans LOVE Zamak; and there are a LOT of varieties (mixtures) of Zamak, some harder than others, also varies in price.
They use it because it is a lot cheaper to use Zamak MIM parts than to mill parts of solid metal (aluminium, bronce or SS).
It's a matter of $$$

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That was my understanding also.

Has this always been the case, did they used to be Zamak?

Maybe my comprehension is off but I am reading on the second page that people are worried about Zamak handles on the DE89.

I understand your confusion.

It's not that more expensive than only the head, but what Muhle also changed in the meantime that the top of the handle (where you screw the top plate in) is also brass. On EJ it's zamak.

From that, I assume he's saying the neck on EJ handles is Zamak. I have no idea myself but I wouldnt be surprised if the neck was its own piece, whatever the material, and press fit into the barrel of the handle then plated as a single piece.

I did find this however, for what its worth.

Screenshot_2019-10-30 Why Zamak is Not a Four Letter Word .png

There is also this thread to deepen the confusion, however, its specifically about the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth range of razors.

Are Edwin Jagger high-end razor heads made from brass? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/are-edwin-jagger-high-end-razor-heads-made-from-brass.389847/

In post #10 of that thread you'll find email correspondence from Neil Jagger via WCS stating:

"Yes all parts on the Chatsworth razor, apart from the razor blade system fittings are machined from solid brass, hand polished, then copper electroplated followed by nickel plating and finally a top coating of chrome."

I would assume the threaded portion of the neck to be included in "razor blade system fittings" but doesnt the entire head qualify for the same?

Confusing, at best. I'm with Doug!

Buy one, drill a hole in it and see.

Thank you for your email.

The handle of the DE89 razor is made from brass. The heads of the range are made from a cast metal, which is the industry standard.

The material of these has not changed.

If you would prefer a more hardwearing head, you may wish to consider the new 3ONE6 range, which has a stainless steel head.

The knurled version is fully stainless steel, and the others have an anodised aluminium handle and stainless steel head.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlotte

Top Bottom