What's new

Muhl/EJ Brass Thread Replacement Top Cap

Even though my rotation increased since the purchase of my first DE, the Edwin Jagger, I have missed shaving with it since my threads corroded. Not my best razor, but it is smooth and always enjoyed the shave.

I have read quite a bit about the new Muhl caps having brass threads, but don’t know where I could pick up a replacement cap. I tried my favorite vendor, Maggards this morning and was informed that they weren’t aware of any changes with replacements.

Anybody successfully find a cap with brass threads without buying a new razor?

The Modern Man UK has the top cap and base plate for $19.50 and the whole razor starting at $32.50. You can google to find web address

Just sent a message to Muhl asking about new threads. I will update when I get a response.

In my e-mail to Muhl, I asked how to obtain one specifically with brass threads. Hopefully I can do that without a new razor. Not that a new razor will break the bank, but the baseplate and handle are perfect.

In my e-mail to Muhl, I asked how to obtain one specifically with brass threads. Hopefully I can do that without a new razor. Not that a new razor will break the bank, but the baseplate and handle are perfect.
Germans are kind of fussy, I hope you spelled “Muhle” correctly in your email to them. :001_rolle

Germans are kind of fussy, I hope you spelled “Muhle” correctly in your email to them. :001_rolle

I always forget that e for some reason. Ha ha. We both forgot something else too but I can never figure out where it is on the IPhone

When they get back to me, I’ll suggest that they use a mule in their logo. “Don’t be a jacka$!, shave with Mühle”. Should’ve gone into advertising.

I got this message from Mühle this morning. Appears it was true, they now put brass threads in the top caps.

Hello Anthony,

You are correct. The head is made of zinc die casting and the screw is made of brass.

This version has been in preparation for several years.

You can purchase the top plate here: R89 Safety Razor Replacement Part – 1 Piece Closed Comb

GAB - German American Beauty
3100 NW 2nd Avenue, Suite 223
Boca Raton, FL 33431
561-750-7289
www.muehleusa.com

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I got this message from Mühle this morning. Appears it was true, they now put brass threads in the top caps now.

Hello Anthony,

You are correct. The head is made of zinc die casting and the screw is made of brass.

This version has been in preparation for several years.

You can purchase the top plate here: R89 Safety Razor Replacement Part – 1 Piece Closed Comb

GAB - German American Beauty
3100 NW 2nd Avenue, Suite 223
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

I updated Maggards also, Brad there was curious. I hope Maggards orders some more. Mühle’s shipping is 9 bucks, uggh. Well I guess with a Zamac cap, even with a brass thread, you have to box the thing but still uggh

I edited the contact info, it got cut off in the message above if anyone wants to call them also. I’m pretty happy, I don’t have any wear on the baseplate or handle so I’m thinking this should last a good while. I think the corrosion issues really center on the threads.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I edited the contact info, it got cut off in the message above if anyone wants to call them also. I’m pretty happy, I don’t have any wear on the baseplate or handle so I’m thinking this should last a good while. I think the corrosion issues really center on the threads.

This very thing came up in another thread not long ago and no one was sure if they had Brass studs or not. Now we know.

The threads take the most wear.

qybjwn.jpg

I have seen a picture of an EJ cap where the plating cracked and was peeling away from the Zamak rotting under it. The plating is thick for a reason. I highly doubt thats an issue on many but could happen from being dropped, especially on a corner.

When they get back to me, I’ll suggest that they use a mule in their logo. “Don’t be a jacka$!, shave with Mühle”. Should’ve gone into advertising.

Muhle has nothing to do with mules and isn't pronounced that way. If you look at their logo it's a windmill. Muhle means "Mill" and is there is no easy way to pronounce it without knowing how to shape the sound created by the umlaut. It is somewhat like saying "Mew-la". Best to Google the word and listen to someone who speaks Geman say it in a soundclip.

Muhle has nothing to do with mules and isn't pronounced that way. If you look at their logo it's a windmill. Muhle means "Mill" and is there is no easy way to pronounce it without knowing how to shape the sound created by the umlaut. It is somewhat like saying "Mew-la". Best to Google the word and listen to someone who speaks Geman say it in a soundclip.

That was meant as a joke

Top Bottom