What's new

Muhl/EJ Brass Thread Replacement Top Cap

Well, I thought it was funny.

Well, I thought it was obvious that I was making fun of myself in the post.

I was the jacka$! because I forgot both the e on the end of Mühle in the Thread and the umlaut to make it sound like mule. “Don’t be a jacka$!, shave with Mühle”.

Sorry if I offended any German brothers out there.

I got this message from Mühle this morning. Appears it was true, they now put brass threads in the top caps.

Hello Anthony,

You are correct. The head is made of zinc die casting and the screw is made of brass.

This version has been in preparation for several years.

You can purchase the top plate here: R89 Safety Razor Replacement Part – 1 Piece Closed Comb

GAB - German American Beauty
3100 NW 2nd Avenue, Suite 223
Boca Raton, FL 33431
561-750-7289
www.muehleusa.com

Awesome. Will be purchasing a back up top cap for my DE89.

Awesome. Will be purchasing a back up top cap for my DE89.

I spoke again with Maggards and they told me they order the same part number. Brad added that they buy that same part number all the time from Mühle and none of their current caps are more than 4 months old. He hasn’t experimented to see if his current stock has brass threads.

I keep mentioning Maggards because they cost less overall. Will probably buy from Maggards when I eventually get a replacement.

You can tell if you got the brass threaded cap if there is a small "4" engraved under the cap. Don't ask me why that is, we just noticed that on one of the German shaving forums.

I got this message from Mühle this morning. Appears it was true, they now put brass threads in the top caps.

Hello Anthony,

You are correct. The head is made of zinc die casting and the screw is made of brass.

This version has been in preparation for several years.

You can purchase the top plate here: R89 Safety Razor Replacement Part – 1 Piece Closed Comb

GAB - German American Beauty
3100 NW 2nd Avenue, Suite 223
Boca Raton, FL 33431
561-750-7289
www.muehleusa.com

Great information!! Thanks for sharing. :a14::a14:

I spoke again with Maggards and they told me they order the same part number. Brad added that they buy that same part number all the time from Mühle and none of their current caps are more than 4 months old. He hasn’t experimented to see if his current stock has brass threads.

I keep mentioning Maggards because they cost less overall. Will probably buy from Maggards when I eventually get a replacement.

I'd prefer to buy from Maggards too. So thank you for that tidbit.

You can tell if you got the brass threaded cap if there is a small "4" engraved under the cap. Don't ask me why that is, we just noticed that on one of the German shaving forums.

Great piece of info to know. Thank you.

When it comes to zamak razors and threaded posts, two pictures come to mind.

Zamak post:
broken-jagger-jpg.563053

Brass post:

proxy.php

Choose your poison.

Or no poison at all = stainless.

I would prefer that they are solid brass as well but it isn’t. I’ll settle for the threaded brass for now. Dropping in a real bad way will knock out a threaded post. Easy fix though with JB Weld if that happens.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I have that on my Merkur head, but don't have a Muhle head to check.

But Merkur told me directly that all their 2-piece razors have zamak threads, only the 3-piece are brass threads.

I suggest buying a whole new Muhle. It's not that more expensive than only the head, but what Muhle also changed in the meantime that the top of the handle (where you screw the top plate in) is also brass. On EJ it's zamak.

Well looks like I'm going to need this sooner rather than later. Only 4 months old and chrome loss on some of the threads.

But Merkur told me directly that all their 2-piece razors have zamak threads, only the 3-piece are brass threads.

I suggest buying a whole new Muhle. It's not that more expensive than only the head, but what Muhle also changed in the meantime that the top of the handle (where you screw the top plate in) is also brass. On EJ it's zamak.

If I go through my EJ handle threads, I’ll put a helicoil in that handle. Like the razor but not going to buy a whole new razor. I like it because it was my first DE (Except cutting myself with my father’s Super Speed at age 4). I can fix as I go and when it goes, it’s gone, good razor but it is toward the very end of the pack with my rotation.

If I go through my EJ handle threads, I’ll put a helicoil in that handle. Like the razor but not going to buy a whole new razor. I like it because it was my first DE (Except cutting myself with my father’s Super Speed at age 4). I can fix as I go and when it goes, it’s gone, good razor but it is toward the very end of the pack with my rotation.

Wouldn't it be a better option (cheaper) to buy one of the many stainless steel handles on the market? Or is there a problem threading in a brass thread to a stainless steel handle?

Wouldn't it be a better option (cheaper) to buy one of the many stainless steel handles on the market? Or is there a problem threading in a brass thread to a stainless steel handle?

I would be concerned about both stripping my brass threads and adverse metallurgical reactions between the metals. Also, would like to just keep the EJ handle as long as possible. Loctite and a helicoil in a Zamac Handle would work just fine if I stripped those handle threads.

For the life of me I just don't understand why they don't use solid brass or some other metal for the entire razor and charge a tad more!! Bad business decision IMO.

Top Bottom