What's new

Mug or bowl or scuttle?

I'm having a heck of a time finding something that I like using. I'm thinking of going for a scuttle but I can't seem to find any good ones. I like the idea of the grooves in the scuttle as it looks like it would help with the lathering process. The plus of the warm lather would be nice too. Right now, I'm using a bowl but...meh.

I'm a big fan of the bowl, but it can't be tiny. I've been using a small dog dish to great success. The idea of warm lather, however, seems very nice. Shavemac's scuttle looks pretty nice.

When I bowl lathered, I used a melamine "rice" bowl. No much in the pizazz department, but practical. I only face lather now. More bowl latherers will be checking in, I trust.

-jim

I'm having a heck of a time finding something that I like using. I'm thinking of going for a scuttle but I can't seem to find any good ones. I like the idea of the grooves in the scuttle as it looks like it would help with the lathering process. The plus of the warm lather would be nice too. Right now, I'm using a bowl but...meh.
You are on the right track there. When it is very cold a scuttle is a delight. Dirty bird scuttles look good but not sure of shipping costs.
Sara Bonnyman is nearer to you.

I prefer to bowl lather, I have been using an Edwin Jagger, but find it's a little shallow (I think it's more for a puck and not as a lathering bowl) Muehle make a nice couple of porcelain bowls that look nice and deep and have three ridges in the bottom to assist lathering.

I've got one from Sara on the way (ordered before I read this thread). I bowl lather and have been partially immersing my bowl in hot water to keep the lather warm between passes but a scuttle seems like a simpler way of accomplishing the same thing.

Looking forward to getting it!

And for all you bowl latherers out there that don't use scuttles, what exactly do you use? I'd like to find something with the grooves that a scuttle has while at the same time find something that holds the heat from the hot water I soak my brush in

I just got a Blanda Matt bowl from ikea, 12cm diameter and 6cm deep. It's perfect for the moment :) $blanda matt.jpg

In general I have a small bowl that I soak my brush in and while I take a shower I leave the larger lathering bowl in the sink immersed in hot water, when I'm ready to shave I give the lathering bowl a shake and a quick dry on the outside, but leave the residual water on the inside, seems that amount of water plus what's in the brush give a good lather most days, and the porcelain bowl holds the heat long enough for my two passes. I may look at a scuttle in the future.

I bowl lather most of the time, I use a clear glass ramekin-like dish that I stole from the kitchen about 4 years ago. I wanted a scuttle, but have since found that cold water works best for me. I do face lather if I shave in the shower, but that happens at most once a week.

A little of everything except a scuttle :)

Although, I would like to try a scuttle.

that said, If I am using a puck of soap it sits in the bottom of my favorite shaving mug. I load my brush in the mug then lather in a bowl.

If I am using a tub of soap, I load the brush in the tub, then lather in a bowl.

If I am using a cream I put the cream directly into the bowl and lather.

If I am using a stick I face lather.

The bowl I use is a VERY high tech thing...

Its a small stainless steel mixing bowl from Ikea that fits my hand perfectly LOL.
proxy.php

I like my Woodhead scuttle for straight razor shaving. A bowl or scuttle is needed for mixing uberlather. Uberlathering extends my lather facetime before drying, and the scuttle keeps the lather warm during the longer time needed by me for a straight razor shave with DE touch-up. I need less time for a rushed DE only shave and may skip the uberlather and use a bowl or even just a mug rather than a scuttle.

The mug is most convenient because it takes up less counter/shelf space and can be comfortably held in the hand. The bowl takes up more space than the mug and is more awkward and easier to drop, especially if it has no handle. The scuttle is too heavy to hold and is best left on the counter top while not being filled. Lather in a scuttle dries faster because of the heat and may need to be rehydrated by remixing after dipping the brush tip in water.

I use anything from used thrift shop items, low end shaving items, to artisan pottery. My Woodhead scuttle/soap dish set and artisan ceramic ramkins are on the high end while my VDH shaving bowl and thrift shop mugs are the low end. All get used. What is important is that they are shaped properly for convienient use and work well.

You can go to " A thread for bowl latherers and scuttle lovers ". There is a lot of info and pictures of various bowls and scuttles. I posted my bowl pics in there but here's my setup;
In the second pic you can see that the latte mug has some texture to it

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used a giant coffee mug but I kept clanging the handle of the brush on the sides and my third pass was always too close to room temperature.

I now use a Robert Becker scuttle and it solved both problems. It was not expensive and there is quite a variety of sizes and colors. I have the largest one and use it every day I'm home. Fourth pass is still delightfully warm.

I use a cereal bowl from target with standard dimensions when I bowl lather, which isn't very often now. The expensive scuttles look great, but I don't think they're necessary to make good lather. Also, if you drop it and it breaks, you're going to be kicking yourself. If the cereal bowl breaks, it's no big deal.

Top Bottom