What's new

Most under rated cream?

Disclamer; I have not been wet shaving for lots of time nor have I tried out too many creams, however I have one I almost never see talked about that is cheap and wonderful in my opinion. Recently I've been shaving with an expensive english lavender cream which I like a lot. I went back to the red poraso tube... nobody ever talks about the red one! I think the ingredient in this one is wheat grass. It doesn't have much of a scent but not the strong menthol one like the green tube and makes the most luxurious lather. A little bit and the lather was foaming like the ocean. Anyone else tried this one?

-Brandon

HeadandFaceShaver said:
Disclamer; I have not been wet shaving for lots of time nor have I tried out too many creams, however I have one I almost never see talked about that is cheap and wonderful in my opinion. Recently I've been shaving with an expensive english lavender cream which I like a lot. I went back to the red poraso tube... nobody ever talks about the red one! I think the ingredient in this one is wheat grass. It doesn't have much of a scent but not the strong menthol one like the green tube and makes the most luxurious lather. A little bit and the lather was foaming like the ocean. Anyone else tried this one?

-Brandon

Brandon,
Red Proraso is good stuff... but there isn't much soul to it.... I mean it doesn't really get your senses going. Provides a wonderful shave? Of course! - but most of us are too snooty to just require a good shave... we want gorgeous tubs (preferrably glass) :smile: with brightly colored, lush, and boldly fragarant creams that shout LOVE ME! - USE ME! SMELL ME! :biggrin: Ok -Ok..... Proraso Red is good stuff, but the scent doesn't do anything for me.

Under-rated? I think e-shave creams, Men-U shaving cream, Col. Conk shaving soap, Sue's shaving soap, and QED shaving soap are some of the most under-rated creams/soaps out there. I think the aformentioned brands are EVERY bit as good as the 3 t's.... a few I personally like more!

Concurr.
Especially concerning the eShave and Men-U creams. Both are absolutely fantastic creams.
John P.

JohnP said:
Concurr.
Especially concerning the eShave and Men-U creams. Both are absolutely fantastic creams.
John P.

John,
To get a little past the "men-u" cream and actually bring up the whole Men-U line.... the shaving cream, shaving brush, after shaving facial wash, and after shaving balm/moisture cream are all OUTSTANDING products. Truly... I think Men-U is some of the best stuff out there. If I had to pick ONE shaving cream in terms of the MOST lubricic/efficacious, it would be the men-u hands down. It also doesn't hurt that the pump top dispenser allows consistent results, as 1.5 pumps seems to work perfect for brushes large and small... and 125 shaves outta one small pump bottle of shaving cream? Good lordy!

Going back to the e-shave creams for a second; has anyone experienced an intense burning when using the White Tea? It was my first cream, and once I sorted out the hard water problems in my home it lathered beautifully and I really like the scent, but I can't use it too often because of the burn (and it's not razor burn) anyone else have problems with this cream?
Warm regards,
Alex

I don't think there is a closer shave on the planet than with QED soap, assuming your face can tolerate it. Also underrated - Vulfix creams.

But is QED truly underrated? It's certainly not as popular as the major creams, but the vast majority of people who use the stuff rate it as incredible.

S

Sam

What about the Charles Thyrwitt cream, especially that a tub is on sale for $4?

Sam

I think the C&E creams are underrated, yes the Almond is one of the best but the other scents work very well too.

AJS said:
Going back to the e-shave creams for a second; has anyone experienced an intense burning when using the White Tea? It was my first cream, and once I sorted out the hard water problems in my home it lathered beautifully and I really like the scent, but I can't use it too often because of the burn (and it's not razor burn) anyone else have problems with this cream?
Warm regards,
Alex
Hello Alex,
I purchased a set of travel-sized mini samples from êShave, one of which was the White Tea Shaving Cream. I really enjoyed it immensely. You could be one of those unfortunate fellows that has an allergy to one of the components in the White Tea shaving cream. While I would not willingly commit this to testimony, I believe that the formulation of the White Tea cream is different than the Floral, Citrus, et al in elements other than just the fragrance.

Williams Menthol Shaving Cream - better than Proraso & cheaper.

I buy it when in France, Germany etc. Available in several northern european countries and I think in the U.S. & Canada as well but not so widely.

Can't get it here in the UK unfortunately.

Regards
John

Scotto said:
I don't think there is a closer shave on the planet than with QED soap, assuming your face can tolerate it. Also underrated - Vulfix creams.

Scotto,

I just received my QED order last week: Bay Rum, Anise/Lavender, Pine/Cedarwood and Patchouli/Tea Tree/Peppermint. Thus far I have tried the Anise/Lavender and the Pine/Cedarwood; both have left my face burning like wildfire, so I am still undecided if and when I will try the other two fragrances. I have found I do have a sensitivity to some creams, e.g. Body Shop, Taylor New Formula Rose, Proraso and probably a few others.

Could you please elaborate on your "assuming your face can tolerate it" comment. Perhaps you can recommend a QED soap that might be better suited for "the more sensitive." I had read so many good things about the quality of a QED shave, I was really hoping this stuff would work out.

John, I never saw that Williams cream in Canada, but I bought it quite a few times when I would go to Israel to visit family there.

Jeff

PottyDoctor said:
Scotto,

I just received my QED order last week: Bay Rum, Anise/Lavender, Pine/Cedarwood and Patchouli/Tea Tree/Peppermint. Thus far I have tried the Anise/Lavender and the Pine/Cedarwood; both have left my face burning like wildfire, so I am still undecided if and when I will try the other two fragrances. I have found I do have a sensitivity to some creams, e.g. Body Shop, Taylor New Formula Rose, Proraso and probably a few others.

Could you please elaborate on your "assuming your face can tolerate it" comment. Perhaps you can recommend a QED soap that might be better suited for "the more sensitive." I had read so many good things about the quality of a QED shave, I was really hoping this stuff would work out.
Hi Ron.

I think you are finding out what I mean. There is something about Charles' soaps that can leave you burning. I am not sure if it is the content of the soap or the fact that it shaves close, but some of them can be painful. I notice this with the pine/cedar and B&B soaps, but not with the anise/lavender, grapefruit, etc. You might try rubbing some on a wet face without shaving to see if it is a skin sensitivity for you. Regardless, for me, the shave and scent are so good I still use them.

If you really can't use them, give Charles a call. I am sure he will make it right by you.

Top Bottom