What's new

Out Of The Loop - La Toja Has Been Discontinued?

I'm mostly a soap guy, but do love my creams as well. I have to shave daily for work and sometimes I just feel like using the ease of a cream. My go-to has been The Big Red tube of La Toja for quite some time. Loved the scent, the slickness, protection, and it always left me with zero irritation. I was just browsing through a thread a few months ago and saw that La Toja has indeed discontinued their line of creams.

Does anyone here have a solid replacement option? My face is very sensitive to scents and fragrance oils, I try to stick with unscented or as little scent as possible with both my soaps and creams. I do know that La Toja was scented, but there was something about it that didn't seem to bother me at all. Plus, I LOVED the scent - so fresh and so clean. The salts in it really added a little something to it, that I can't quite put my finger on, but it always gave me the best shaves.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm mostly a soap guy, but do love my creams as well. I have to shave daily for work and sometimes I just feel like using the ease of a cream. My go-to has been The Big Red tube of La Toja for quite some time. Loved the scent, the slickness, protection, and it always left me with zero irritation. I was just browsing through a thread a few months ago and saw that La Toja has indeed discontinued their line of creams.

Does anyone here have a solid replacement option? My face is very sensitive to scents and fragrance oils, I try to stick with unscented or as little scent as possible with both my soaps and creams. I do know that La Toja was scented, but there was something about it that didn't seem to bother me at all. Plus, I LOVED the scent - so fresh and so clean. The salts in it really added a little something to it, that I can't quite put my finger on, but it always gave me the best shaves.
For now, it is officially gone, however, Gifts and Care in Spain has a notification email option for when it will be available again. So, hopefully. LEA is a solid replacement for now, without going for the more expensive option of Musgo. Musgo is superb.

Want to second the motion regarding LEA shaving cream. I use both the LEA Professional (large 250 gram tube) and Mentolada (may not work for you due to menthol).

Note that the LEA Professional tube has no menthol (FYI also to @dave1269 who may be referring to the LEA classic cream). It has a very mild scent and works well. You can get it from Connaught Shaving in the U.K. for 3.25 British pounds (10 pounds with shipping for just a single tube to the U.S.).

Thank you for the quick replies! I can actually handle a bit of menthol, I can't do the Glacial stuff, but a small amount doesn't harm me too much. I'm leaning towards LEA after reading some reviews.

Also, Proraso Blue looked pretty interesting as well. I haven't purchased any new soaps/creams in about 2 years as I had quite the stockpile. I'm mostly finished with everything I had in my Shave Den and might be time to restock.

There's a shaving cream made in India called Godrej. They have a Sensitive version that doesn't have a strong scent and doesn't contain lanolin that some people are sensitive to. I think it has some beeswax, though. Godrej also has other varieties like lime and menthol. You can find this cream sometimes in Indian markets if there are any close by.

Speick makes a good shaving cream.

Ach. Brito Lavanda is a lot like Musgo Real but more reasonably priced.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
a few years back i participated in a cheap cream comparison thread, where I compared a bunch of highly-praised low-to-mid priced creams in a tube. Speick won. It was, IIRC, a solid level or two above la toja.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
a few years back i participated in a cheap cream comparison thread, where I compared a bunch of highly-praised low-to-mid priced creams in a tube. Speick won. It was, IIRC, a solid level or two above la toja.
here it is if you want to go on a deep dive

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I grabbed some extra tubes of La Toja when the discontinued notice came out.

Musgo, Claus Porto, Speick and, yes, Proraso all work really well.

The Cyril R Salter Tub Creams are exceptional.

I recently found a really excellent cream made in Syria, called HAMOL ...
I find it in middle eastern grocery stores, doesn't cost much, but can be a challenge to find it.
Scent is very mild, virtually scent-less. It is vaguely mentholated, and contains witch-hazel (hamamelis), I suppose hence its name.
I find it simply excellent, super-super slick.

YUMA.jpg

Fordfather

Staff member
There's a shaving cream made in India called Godrej. They have a Sensitive version that doesn't have a strong scent and doesn't contain lanolin that some people are sensitive to. I think it has some beeswax, though. Godrej also has other varieties like lime and menthol. You can find this cream sometimes in Indian markets if there are any close by.

Speick makes a good shaving cream.

Ach. Brito Lavanda is a lot like Musgo Real but more reasonably priced.
Godrej Lime, is pretty darn good, IMO.

La Toja was one on my want to try sometime list so I guess I can remove it. I don't know how it would compare to other creams since I haven't used it but Proraso is quite good, maybe try the white tube for sensitive skin, I have only tried the Red(Sandalwood) or Cypress and Vetyver Single Blade. Palmolive in the green tube is decent. Pre de Provence #63 I have tried the soap and they do make a cream, I like the scent but not sure how you would get along with that one.

I do want to try Lea at some point. Also, Ach Brito, C.O. Bigelow and even Musgo Real. I just need to use up some that I have already.

...Proraso is quite good, maybe try the white tube for sensitive skin...Palmolive in the green tube is decent. Pre de Provence #63 I have tried the soap and they do make a cream...

The PdP #63 shaving cream doesn't lather with a brush, you just apply it by hand. Their soap is really good, though.

Proraso Blue performs somewhat better than the White, IMHO. Not unscented, but I think it's fairly mild.

The PdP #63 shaving cream doesn't lather with a brush, you just apply it by hand. Their soap is really good, though.

Proraso Blue performs somewhat better than the White, IMHO. Not unscented, but I think it's fairly mild.

I didn't know that about PdP #63 cream. I had thought about buying some to try but will stick to my soap. The soap is awesome, really slick and easy to get a lather off the puck, aftershave balm is great to and I absolutely love the scent. One of those soaps I should grab another before it disappears also.

I never tried the Proraso blue, I remember trying the white tub of Proraso soap but that was so long ago I don't recall using it up and think I got rid of it in a lot I sold here when I first joined. I'm wondering if the scent was too mild. I have the Proraso Red in the tin container with the pre-shave and the aftershave. Love the cream but the pre-shave to me doesn't really do anything for me and the aftershave leaves my face a little tacky, I probably use too much.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes, there are other exceptional creams that we can still buy and enjoy. But the sad reality is that none of them is equal or comparable to La Toja. With its truly original fresh scent of salt minerals La Toja was unquestionably unique and nothing else will ever fully replace it.

Top Bottom