What's new

Most Purchased Blade?

Are there published statistics documenting the most purchased DE razor blade make and model? Either worldwide or by country?

I realize that the most purchased or most popular blade may certainly not be the "best" blade (whatever constitutes the best), but I would be quite curious to see the actual numbers behind what blades are most often purchased and in what quantities as compared to other blades.

Take for example, cars here in the USA. Statistically, it is published that for the 2018 calendar year, the Toyota Camry was the most purchased car in America (* there were different stats for SUVs, trucks, etc.). Is it better than a Chevy? Do more people actually prefer them over a Mercedes Benz or some Infinity model? Or does the Camry just, apparently, somehow best meet the most common selection criteria for quality, price point, reliability, serviceability, mileage rating, depreciation, etc. such that it attracts more purchasing customers than other contender cars?

So back to blades, ...the question remains: For whatever reasons, what are the most purchased DE razor blades?

Last edited:
I have no idea but it is going to be by country. I would not be surprised if it was some obscure brand in China just based on population/demographics and the demand still for d/e shaving in Asia. India could also be in that category.

Might very well be a Chinese made one in China..... BUT
For westerners I’ll bet it’s the Astras.
So many of us use them, Petersburg Products sells A LOT of blades!
BTW: I think we need to just guess on this one, I doubt that they keep records on it.

Difficult question, even for my own buying habbits! I tend to make fewer purchases of my favorites (which I buy in bulk) compared to blades that I just want to try (which I buy by the tuck).

It is no surprise that Amazon lists the cartridge blades from Gillette as the most frequently purchased blades. For DE blades, the Astra SP blades are the most popular.

West Coast Shaving and Maggards Razors both list Astra SP as their best seller with Feather as second most popular. Comments from forum members also confirm the popularity of Astra SP.

However, since there are billions of shavers worldwide, what may the be the most popular blades in the USA or on B&B might not be the most popular overall.

Just because blades are popular does not mean they will work for you. Personally, Astra SP blades are not quite sharp enough to for my coarse beard. I much prefer the sharper Astra SS. Feather blades are not smooth enough for my sensitive skin, at least not after the second shave. Obviously, my preferences in blades differ from that of the masses. Everyone should try both of these blades to see if they work for you; but if they do not, there are plenty of other blades to try.

Are there published statistics documenting the most purchased DE razor blade make and model? Either worldwide or by country?

I realize that the most purchased or most popular blade may certainly not be the "best" blade (whatever constitutes the best), but I would be quite curious to see the actual numbers behind what blades are most often purchased and in what quantities as compared to other blades.

Take for example, cars here in the USA. Statistically, it is published that for the 2018 calendar year, the Toyota Camry was the most purchased car in America (* there were different stats for SUVs, trucks, etc.). Is it better than a Chevy? Do more people actually prefer them over a Mercedes Benz or some Infinity model? Or does the Camry just, apparently, somehow best meet the most common selection criteria for quality, price point, reliability, serviceability, mileage rating, depreciation, etc. such that it attracts more purchasing customers than other contender cars?

So back to blades, ...the question remains: For whatever reasons, what are the most purchased DE razor blades?
The Camry is like the GSB's of cars IMHO.

Top Bottom