What's new

What was your ONE purchase in 2022 that impressed you most and why?

$45 and you can get it straight from the one man shop that makes it: SimpleCleanShave - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/simplecleanshave/?etsrc=sdt

You can also get it from TheRazorCompany and get some other goodies at the same time. TRC - Double Edge Safety Razor - Black Aluminum - https://www.therazorcompany.com/products/trc-double-edge-safety-razor-black-aluminum?_pos=1&_sid=e559d8043&_ss=r

It's in the same design ballpark as the Henson and Winning razors. It has negative exposure, so it's not an aggressive razor at all. The negative expousre and smaller gap cut much better than you'd expect. It's very comfortable. Several of us bought it. I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/i-just-ordered-a-made-in-the-usa-scs-model-a-razor.625446/
You know, I was thinking about this question for a bit and you're right. The SCS was probably the best razor I got this year. A Rockwell 6c that I got from @SwamperWI is pretty darn close, though. Hard for me to decide. They're both great razors.

I'd have to say the Charcoal Goods everyday with maze handle. It exceeded all expectations. It's a very smooth forgiving razor with efficiency. Plus, I was able to customize the look to exactly what I wanted it to look like.

View attachment 1595304

Sad to say this really became even more of a special purchase as it was announced today Brian of Charcoal Goods is liquidating the rest of his stock and no longer making razors. :sad: I wish him the best and hope all is well.

It does make a slight difference, I have tried with a half turn and a quarter turn. I could tell a difference with the half turn, it was more efficient, but I could also feel the blade alot more and did not like it. The quarter turn was hardly a difference from all the way tightened. I just use it fully tight because it is still very efficient and I can buff after each pass if needed without having to brush more soap on. The only downside I have found with the razor is shaping. It is not the easiest to shape with because of the DOC design, more hair will fit between the teeth than I would like and I end up with uneven lines. So I use a different razor when I need to shape. Other than that it is a phenomenal razor that I hope to have for many many years.
Wonderful! I was hoping it actually made a difference. I like that it would maker it more efficient. Very clever. I can see how it wouldn't be good for shaping. Thanks for the info!

Sad to say this really became even more of a special purchase as it was announced today Brian of Charcoal Goods is liquidating the rest of his stock and no longer making razors. :sad: I wish him the best and hope all is well.
That really sucks. Brian seems like a good dude. I wish him well.

Budget items from Daiso, a Japanese dollar store with far better things than you’ll find anywhere for $1 each. An organization/storage container and soup/shave bowl. I know the title said one, but for $2, I chose two.

Attachments

• 1718CC3F-BF9D-4B3E-B0EC-A227ADB0DEEF.jpeg
    1718CC3F-BF9D-4B3E-B0EC-A227ADB0DEEF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 874D9607-57B8-49F2-BE6D-DB94EDE965D4.jpeg
    874D9607-57B8-49F2-BE6D-DB94EDE965D4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 27D03CC9-44BE-4B97-92BB-D13766E6C0EC.jpeg
    27D03CC9-44BE-4B97-92BB-D13766E6C0EC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Technically, there were several shaving items that impressed me in 2022. Having said that however, the one shaving item that impressed me the most?

PAA Ice Menthol Pre-Shave Cube 2.0!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Why?

I tried Proraso's Pre-Shave cream, its performance was just OK.

I tried Stirling's Executive Man Pre-Shave Oil, I don't like the oils, they are messy, and didn't do the job to my satisfaction. Worse then Proraso's cream.

Once I tried PAA's Pre-Shave cube block, I instantly fell in love. This is because the performance is the best out of everything I have tried. The slickness performance of the Pre-Shave cube block is so good, that I could literally shave with the Pre-Shave alone!

Combine the slickness performance, with the delicious menthol, and I have sweet sweet perfection baby woohoo! :thumbup:
Looks like I need to get one now too lol

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, since some of us are going for seconds, I have two double open comb razors, a Yaqi Mellon Head, and a PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable.
1674927295184.png

Wonderful! I was hoping it actually made a difference. I like that it would maker it more efficient. Very clever. I can see how it wouldn't be good for shaping. Thanks for the info!

Out of those two, the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable is my favorite.
proxy.php
IMG_4277.JPG

This is because I feel, IMO, that its far more robust, and uses higher quality materials. The one I have is CNC'd out of tellurium copper with a Rose Gold electroplating applied. Its also got a solid heft to it, around 4 ounces, and I do appreciate a solid hefty razor. Its got a super grip handle, where having soapy fingers is not an issue, it won't ever give you the slip, with quality good grip.

The razor uses a very arched double open comb head, this applies force on the blade to act as a spring tension force. This is what really allows you to adjust it, as a simple 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 turn, allows me to make the razor more aggressive, while still keeping proper force on the blade. So I too can confirm, the adjustment does indeed work on this razor.

The double open comb design keeps more lather on my face per pass. This design also allows this razor to be incredibly smooth, for its my smoothest shaving razor that I own. It literally became my best razor, and received top marks from me in my review. PAA has a few other versions of this razor too, they have a stainless steel one, an aluminum one, and a nickel coated zamack one.

proxy.php

Looks like I need to get one now too lol

Yes, indeed you do, I can 100% guarantee it. 🍻

Georgetown Pottery scuttle for sure. Warmly abundant and perfect lather from start to finish, I just love it. It rekindled my love for boar brushes. I stopped using my favorite boar (Semogue 1800) because it never held enough lather when face-lathering with a puck load or shave stick film applied to the face. Now it doesn’t matter, I have more than enough lather using less product too. How can you beat that?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I never do well on these threads. Reducing a group of thing down to one.... It isn't easy for me.

When it comes to wet shaving. I didn't start until Feb. 15th of last year, so everything... all of it... is new.

There is, however, or has been, one consistent product. Though I have and use other soaps, croaps and creams, I've used Canada Shaving Soap for hmmmmm I'm guessing here.... probably 80% of my shaves since I got my first tub. It could be even higher. I don't want to exaggerate. When it shows up on Amazon, I have even bought extras to save on the shipping costs and because it comes and goes... in stock.... 5 left.... out of stock for a few months in a row.

Top Bottom