What's new

What was your ONE purchase in 2022 that impressed you most and why?

213C16B1-61A8-4477-A107-399AFE8CB365.jpeg

Man, between soaps, brushes and aftershaves, this is a TOUGH choice, but for me, my purchase of Rockwell’s adjustable T2 razor proved a real game changer in my 2022.

At first, it was more of a “novelty” purchase more than anything (it reminded me of the adjustables my dad used back in the day), but it’s proved so efficient and versatile, that it’s become my daily, go-to razor, completely obliterating any need for any other razor. ☺️

Easy choice for me - the Blackland Era. I initially bought it with the 2 sb and 3 oc plates and probably could’ve just stopped there and never needed anything else. Since the announcement that it’s discontinued I picked up the 2 oc and 4 sb plates. Eventually I’ll pick up a second one with a a 3 sb plate. I started DE shaving in 2022 and seem to have picked just the right time to get the razor all others will be judged by for me.

Context, I've been wet shaving for about 10 years but until 2022 was using basically the first razor, blade, soap, and brush I bought. For some reason I woke up in 2022 and decided to start looking for improvements to all my gear. I experimented with several razors, several blades, several soaps, and several brushes over the span of 6 months.

My favorite purchase was the Karve Christopher Bradley (with plate SB-C). Shaves great, looks great, plate adjustable to find your ideal level of aggressiveness, not crazy expensive, & will last a lifetime. Once I got this I lost all desire to look at new razors and haven't revisited the subject since.

Well, since some of us are going for seconds, I have two double open comb razors, a Yaqi Mellon Head, and a PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable.
View attachment 1595973

Out of those two, the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable is my favorite.
proxy.php
View attachment 1595980

This is because I feel, IMO, that its far more robust, and uses higher quality materials. The one I have is CNC'd out of tellurium copper with a Rose Gold electroplating applied. Its also got a solid heft to it, around 4 ounces, and I do appreciate a solid hefty razor. Its got a super grip handle, where having soapy fingers is not an issue, it won't ever give you the slip, with quality good grip.

The razor uses a very arched double open comb head, this applies force on the blade to act as a spring tension force. This is what really allows you to adjust it, as a simple 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 turn, allows me to make the razor more aggressive, while still keeping proper force on the blade. So I too can confirm, the adjustment does indeed work on this razor.

The double open comb design keeps more lather on my face per pass. This design also allows this razor to be incredibly smooth, for its my smoothest shaving razor that I own. It literally became my best razor, and received top marks from me in my review. PAA has a few other versions of this razor too, they have a stainless steel one, an aluminum one, and a nickel coated zamack one.

proxy.php

Yes, indeed you do, I can 100% guarantee it. 🍻
Fantastic write-up, thanks! The copper one is beautiful and sounds like the dual head and twist feature work very well. I know the copper one is almost always out of stock so I'll keep my eyes open for a used one. Thanks again.

Top Bottom