What's new

Most Over-rated Cream/Soap

SUMMARY OF THREAD: (up to post #145)
[Key= "-1"=Over-rated; "+1"=Not overrated/Great Product; [B]BOLD[/B]=most discussed]

Tom's of Main Peppermint -1-1
Tom's of Main Cream +1-1-1+1 = 0
Arko -1+1-1-1+1-1 =-2
Erasmic +1
GF Tumper Violet -1+1-1+1-1-1+1+1-1-1-1-1 = -4
GF Trumper Coconut Oil -1-1
Castle Forbes -1-1-1-1-1+1-1 = -5
Castle Forbes lime +1
Castle Forbes lavander -1
Burt's Bees -1
Burt's Bees Bay Rum -1
Taylor's (all cream & soaps) -1-1+1-1-1 = -3
Taylor's Lemon/lime -1-1
Taylor's Almond +1
Taylor's Avocado -1+1-1-1-1-1-1 = -5
Taylor's Sandalwood Cream -1
Taylor's Shaving Shop -1
Truefitt & Hill Grafton -1
DR Harris (all creams) -1-1-1
DR Harris Lavander -1
DR Harris Arlington -1-1
Tabac Soap -1-1+1+1+1+1 = +2
Proraso Soap -1
Proraso Cream -1-1+1+1-1+1-1-1+1+1 = 0
C&E Almond Cream -1-1+1+1 = 0
C&E Sandalwood -1-1+1-1+1-1 = -2
C&E Nomad Soap -1
Nancy Boy -1-1-1-1-1-1-1+1+1-1+1+1-1+1-1+1-1-1 = -12
Locitaine Soap -1-1-1+1+1+1+1 = +1
Herban Cowboy Cream -1-1
Gentleman's Refinery -1
Kiss My Face cream -1
Florena -1
King of Shaves Gel -1-1
Classic Shaving Soap -1-1-1
Mama Bear's Soaps -1-1-1+1+1 = -1
Mama Bear's Myesore Sandalwood -1
Cyril Salter Wild Rose -1-1-1-1
Caswell-Massey -1-1+1
Honey Bee Spa +1+1
QED Soaps -1
AOS Lavander -1
AOS Sandalwood -1+1
Ingrams (Cream and Soap) -1
Musgo Real -1
Floris -1+1
Men-U shave Cream -1
Body Shop Cream +1-1+1
American Crew -1
Butter -1

Hope this helps as a quick overview of the thread. Not trying to influence future voting, but wanted to help those looking at this long thread.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
[Key= "-1"=Over-rated; "+1"=Not overrated/Great Product; [B]BOLD[/B]=most discussed]

Arko -1+1-1-1+1-1 =-2
Erasmic +1
Castle Forbes lime +1
Burt's Bees -1
Burt's Bees Bay Rum -1
Taylor's Lemon/lime -1-1
Taylor's Almond +1
Taylor's Shaving Shop -1
DR Harris Lavander -1
DR Harris Arlington -1-1
Proraso Soap -1
C&E Nomad Soap -1
Herban Cowboy Cream -1-1
Gentleman's Refinery -1
Kiss My Face cream -1
Florena -1
King of Shaves Gel -1-1
Caswell-Massey -1-1+1
Honey Bee Spa +1+1
QED Soaps -1
AOS Lavander -1
AOS Sandalwood -1+1
Musgo Real -1
Floris -1+1
Men-U shave Cream -1
Body Shop Cream +1-1+1
American Crew -1
Butter -1

Hope this helps as a quick overview of the thread. Not trying to influence future voting, but wanted to help those looking at this long thread.

Wow. How long did it take to break this down?

St. Charles Shave Shaving creams. Maybe I need to adjust my lather, but so far they haven't worked for me, and the rose aftershaving milk leaves my face all sticky and gross.

Scott

Shaved with the Castle Forbes yesterday, immediately ordered a tub, best cream I've used..but again, one mans garbage is another mans treasure..Also have a tub of trumpers violet on the way, hopefully it's not as bad to me as others have said. Although, I did get it in trade LOL; so I'm prepared not to like it.

Steve

Love the Violet!

Castle Forbes, YMMV. :biggrin:

Rock bottom worst for me are the Surrey soaps - worse performance than bath soaps and a horrid, acrid smell.

Most overrated is King of Shaves. Overrated in general that is. It seems most folks on this board see it for what it is - the Bose Wave of shaving creams.

Taylor's Rose is the best cream I've tried period. As far as performance goes the rest of the line is way behind and not really worth the money IMO. Scent wise I like Lavander and, to lesser extent, Lemon-Lime - the rest of the range goes from mildly unpleasant (sandalwood) to repulsive (all the cologne creams). This experience has given me no incentive to try the more expensive Brit creams.

The new Edge creams in the tubes are a very good, high performance product but their cost ends up being nearly twice that of Taylor's Rose and the scent is not anywhere near as good.

Rock bottom worst for me are the Surrey soaps - worse performance than bath soaps and a horrid, acrid smell.

Most overrated is King of Shaves. Overrated in general that is. It seems most folks on this board see it for what it is - the Bose Wave of shaving creams.

Taylor's Rose is the best cream I've tried period. As far as performance goes the rest of the line is way behind and not really worth the money IMO. Scent wise I like Lavander and, to lesser extent, Lemon-Lime - the rest of the range goes from mildly unpleasant (sandalwood) to repulsive (all the cologne creams). This experience has given me no incentive to try the more expensive Brit creams.

The new Edge creams in the tubes are a very good, high performance product but their cost ends up being nearly twice that of Taylor's Rose and the scent is not anywhere near as good.

In regard to the other Taylor's scents, I have to recommend the almond. it is not too sweet but also not too muted; it is a true almond which is strange as taylor's usually doesn't have 'true' scents. Lathered up with it yesterday and it gave a great shave. Not as good as the rose, but better than the avacado.

Scott

Arko -1+1-1-1+1-1 =-2
Erasmic +1
Castle Forbes lime +1
Burt's Bees -1
Burt's Bees Bay Rum -1
Taylor's Lemon/lime -1-1
Taylor's Almond +1
Taylor's Shaving Shop -1
DR Harris Lavander -1
DR Harris Arlington -1-1
Proraso Soap -1
C&E Nomad Soap -1
Herban Cowboy Cream -1-1
Gentleman's Refinery -1
Kiss My Face cream -1
Florena -1
King of Shaves Gel -1-1
Caswell-Massey -1-1+1
Honey Bee Spa +1+1
QED Soaps -1
AOS Lavander -1
AOS Sandalwood -1+1
Musgo Real -1
Floris -1+1
Men-U shave Cream -1
Body Shop Cream +1-1+1
American Crew -1
Butter -1

Wow, great work Xavier. Might be a footing error in the Nancy Boy results. Doens't effect the outcome however; NB still leads.

Thanks. I think I was surprised most by Proraso. I think it's great, but then again, it was the first non-canned shaving cream I used.

Thanks. I think I was surprised most by Proraso. I think it's great, but then again, it was the first non-canned shaving cream I used.

ProRaso is most overrated for me (clearly YMMV). It dries my skin up something awful, and the performance is fine but nothing special. I think some people may respond better to nuclear menthol bombs than others.

GFT Violet cream scent is kind of nasty, so I'd go with the overrated crowd on that. [I really like their other creams and soaps, so this is scent only, not performance]

Nancy Boy is fabulous for me, so I have to dissent on that one.

Most over rated has to be Nancy Boy at least so far. I just can't seem to get into using this cream, just doesn't work for me. I like the scent though. I haven't used alot of other creams so my vote is limited. Other creams I use are Proraso, TOBS Avocado, KMF and the Floris samples which are superb. Sorry NB.

Enjoyed Proraso when I first got it, I guess since it was my first highly recommended cream. I could do without it now, have no desire to buy any more. Mediocre. Then again, I've now experienced a good bit of higher-end stuff, so my tastes have changed.

Top Bottom