What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I greatly dislike powdered/liquid eggs and powdered milk. The government used to hand these items out. Just nasty.
Reminds me of when we were poor, had no air con, only running water in the kitchen sink, no water heater, and we had an outhouse.
I promised myself way back then that I wouldn’t eat or drink that stuff when I grew up. BUT sometimes, depending on where we are that’s all there is.
Now the government did give out one good thing: their cheese.
OMGOODNESS. That was great cheese for Mac and Cheese and enchiladas.
That cheese was great.

I had a very stable childhood with a stay-at-home mom who taught me and my 3 brothers to cook. She made dinners for us to sit together and eat complete with the pitcher of milk on the table. The one I didn't like as a kid (however I do like now) was Swiss Steak. She used a round steak with a can of stewed tomatoes. By the time I was a teen I didn't mind. Now that she's gone I'd give almost anything to have an overcooked Swiss Steak from her. Organ meats were a treat at our house, tongue, liver, etc. My dad's favorite was sweetbreads.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My HillBilly Mama KNOWS how to cook green beans: in a pressure cooker with bacon and bacon or pork fat, and cooked for at least an hour. THAT is livin' high on the hog my friend!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nothing..

we had, get it yourself nights..
Brother, I never went to bed hungry, EVER, but many nights we had dishrag soup, and suck on snow for desert....but I will say this: I could afford to miss a few meals.

We have it soft in this country now. One of the reasons I'm so cheap, er... frugal is we weren't pampered, and nobody I grew up with had a Mastercard!

My dad would cook himself liver and onions once every couple of months, but my mom warned us kids it was awful (she truly hated it) and made the rest of us something else instead. Then one day I tried it--cooked correctly, I love it.

My most hated was creamed chipped beef on toast, the proverbial Sh%* on a Shingle. Yuck. I like most preserved meats, but the look and texture of that, coupled with a taste that was pretty much just salt: No thanks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My sainted Irish mother... made some dreadful meals... most followed this technique... put it in the water... take it out the water... My least favorites were

My grandmother was of Scottish immigrant stock. My dad would tell of her method for cooking vegetables:

1. Open tin of vegetables
  2. Pour contents into pot
  3. Simmer on stovetop until all flavour and nutrients had passed into the broth
  4. Discard broth
  5. Serve dessicated vegetative remains.
Yum.

Lots of Lima bean hate.

I don’t hate them, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if I wasn’t ever served them again. They are just “meh” to me.

“You know what I am craving for dinnner? A nice big bowl of Lima beans!!!”.... said no one ever. 😜

I've commented in a few threads: my mother was an awful cook generally and given the constraints on the family finances, had pretty cheap ingredients to play with. Liver was a regular occurrence, and for some reason she used to bake it so it came out dry and grey. It was barely edible.

Does anyone even see beef or calf’s liver in a regular grocery store in the states these days? I don’t see it at the Krogers I frequent, and while they still have a meat counter, I’m no longer able to get specialty things like sausage casings anymore.

Might have to visit our one remaining real butcher shop to give liver and onions a try for old times sake.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nothing better than fresh green beans.

Yes, when they are just picked and still tender and sweet. "Fresh" from the store, not so much.

My most hated was creamed chipped beef on toast, the proverbial Sh%* on a Shingle. Yuck. I like most preserved meats, but the look and texture of that, coupled with a taste that was pretty much just salt: No thanks.

That actually was one of my treats when I was growing up, but I think my mom would put a lot more effort into the gravy than your typical SOS. She usually would only agree to do it on Christmas Morning.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mom was from North Dakota. I think they must have a genetic tendency to dramatically overcook vegetables. I was out of the house before I understood that broccoli, beets and carrots were not all the same colour after cooking. They apparently taste different, too.

Maybe it was because she was a microbiologist working in public health. I can also remember that most meats were rather well cooked. There was one I knew as "hockey pucks" which may have been pork chops.

But she had a nice way with a potato. :) And somehow had learned to make divine pastries. It was a puzzle.

Dad was from Southern Illinois. If he had his favourite meal it included corn on the cob, cornmeal-breaded corn-fed pork chops and cornbread with butter and corn syrup. He could also make corn-shuck hats and kept a big bucket of dry cobs next the fireplace as firestarters. There was a jug of the real corn around, too. If ya cain't do it with corn, it cain't be done.

O.H.

Creamed tuna and peas on toast. Liver. Tripe. Anything with green peppers. Creamed tuna and peas on toast...wait did I already say that? It was horrible. We used to call it barf on toast.

Top Bottom