What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

One St. Patrick's Day (in the USA) my mom thought it would fun to turn every dish green and added dill to everything, a lot of dill... like so much dill. Being the good kids we were, we all ate everything on our plates - now decades after the fact, dill still remains at the top of the list of cautionary tales in the family.

I hated okra growing up, it was slimy even though breaded. Had it again as an adult in the South and it was really good. So I will put that one down as pilot error on my mom's part.
Okra soaked in salted water will cut down on the muscilage somewhat, though believe it or not, it can have positive health effects! Or you can use okra in stews where it helps to thicken the broth, so becomes an advantage that way. There's an art to cooking okra.

Okra soaked in salted water will cut down on the muscilage somewhat, though believe it or not, it can have positive health effects! Or you can use okra in stews where it helps to thicken the broth, so becomes an advantage that way. There's an art to cooking okra.

Like I said, I liked it much later in life when it was undoubtedly cooked correctly. Before that though it was a horrible memory.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
This strikes a chord, it was same for me. Mom was a great baker but would put out the weird stuff that showed up in the mail over the holidays. Especially if it was from a family member who'd be coming by on Christmas, you'd be expected to eat it in front of them.
Me too! Aunt Edna would stop by for a Christmas call, and mom would pull out Edna’s lime pickled eggs (or some wretched recipe from the old country received in the mail weeks ago). The rite of passage was to eat Edna’s food before I could open her gift. If the portion was small, I “chipmunked” it in my cheeks until I could feign a bathroom visit. Mom gave me the stink eye throughout the whole process.

Hey, wait a minute. Mom was a real estate agent and gone a lot. Always suspected she had another family out there. Maybe… we have… the same… mom!? Brother!!!

Top Bottom