What's new

Most comfortable brush handle

I have a lathe and want to turn a brush handle for a TGN silvertip, probably in 22mm. I am unsure of the dimensions I want to use.

I have an Omega #10098, a Tweezerman pure badger and a VDH green handle boar. I find the Tweezerman too small (short), and the VDH slightly large (bulbous). The long handle Omega is nice, but not quite the shape I am looking for (long handle is nice, but it seems too fat on the end). I thought I wanted a paintbrush-like handle, but I am unsure now.

I would like to know what you find most comfortable. Pictures with a scale (US or metric, or identifiable items like a large modern coin such as a quarter) would be welcome and preferred or you can measure its overall height, small diameter and large diameters.
I wear a typical large and sometimes XL glove size, depending on if the size runs small or not.

Thank you for your help.

Phil

Last edited:
I have a lathe and want to turn a brush handle for a TGN silvertip, probably in 22mm. I am unsure of the dimensions I want to use.

I have an Omega #10098, a Tweezerman pure badger and a VDH green handle boar. I find the Tweezerman too small (short), and the VDH slightly large (bulbous). The long handle Omega is nice, but not quite the shape I am looking for (long handle is nice, but it seems too fat on the end). I thought I wanted a paintbrush-like handle, but I am unsure now.

I would like to know what you find most comfortable. Pictures with a scale (US or metric, or identifiable items like a large modern coin such as a quarter) would be welcome and preferred. Overall measurements are also welcome.

I wear a typical large and sometimes XL glove size, depending on if the size runs small or not.

Thank you for your help.

Phil

I think the shape of the VDH green handle brush is great so if you simply made a longer version of the VDH green handle it will not feel so bulbous in the hand. the VDH brush handle is about 5.2 cm tall but if you stretched it out to about 6 or 6.5 cm I think it will have a much better feel in the hand. just lengthen the narrow section of the handle about 8 to 10 mm.

Good luck :thumbup:

You should get some inexpensive wood, like Alder or Birch and start making chips.
I'd go to the websites like Classic Shaving and copy the shapes of some of the Brand Name brushes.
I had a client send me a vintage Double Duck to copy amd it's one of my favorite designs.
proxy.php

Cooncatbob, I like the looks of that duck. Alder and birch are relatively dimensionally stable in water? Or they are just clear solid hardwoods that are inexpensive?

I have been playing with modeling clay and seeing what fits my hand well. A lot of the designs I have come up with are "upside down" compared to what I have seen. The narrow end being up at the brush.

I need to just order a knot or three so I can understand setting it better.

Phil

Cooncatbob, I like the looks of that duck. Alder and birch are relatively dimensionally stable in water? Or they are just clear solid hardwoods that are inexpensive?

I have been playing with modeling clay and seeing what fits my hand well. A lot of the designs I have come up with are "upside down" compared to what I have seen. The narrow end being up at the brush.

I need to just order a knot or three so I can understand setting it better.

Phil

They're inexpensive woods that are easy to turn.
It's not a bad idea to perfect your technique before before you start turning a nice piece of exotic hardwood.
I've turned a lot of handles that are just the basic bulb design, I also don't like too many details, they're place where shaving cream can collect and dry.
proxy.php

So I got lost looking for the family owned lumber mill south of Galion, found the place and left with about 4 board feet of figured maple, about half is very highly figured, a few board feet of bass for practice, and a resawn ash baseball bat blank.

A serious trunk full of wood...For $35!

Now I need to find my stick of cocobolo, and order some knots and acrylic.

Phil

Last edited:
I made this one on a lathe. The walnut handle was my practice run. I love the feel and it's a bit larger than the standard sized handle. Not much larger though. Total length of the handle is about 3.25 inches. Get a big knot. Mine's a 28mm and the size combined with the shape and weight of the handle allows it to stand up (bristles down) in a sink of hot water without getting the handle wet. Insane lather too. It's such an nice silvertip knot that my 4 year old daughter can (and does) make an awesome lather for me in about 20 seconds.

Last edited:
By far the most comfortable brush I've used is an Eagle. The handle seems to be perfect for someone who likes to face lather.

Moai, that is beautiful! Why not stick a knot in the walnut handle?

So, I just spent $50 on tools....I am wondering why I didn't order a $100 brush, since this first brush will effectively cost that after I stuff a knot in it!

Anybody have any feedback on the super silvertip fan shaped brushes from TGN? I am a boar user right now, and expect a bit of backbone, but a little floppiness is OK.

Phil

Moai, that is beautiful! Why not stick a knot in the walnut handle?

So, I just spent $50 on tools....I am wondering why I didn't order a $100 brush, since this first brush will effectively cost that after I stuff a knot in it!

Anybody have any feedback on the super silvertip fan shaped brushes from TGN? I am a boar user right now, and expect a bit of backbone, but a little floppiness is OK.

Phil

I may do that, but I kind of like the handle still attached to the wood as a reminder of my first turn on a lathe. It is pretty sweet though. I may break down and finish it.

I think the knot I used is a TGN knot. It's a 28mm silvertip. I love it, but it's HUUUGE.

I'm facing the same dilemna now. Originally I thought I'd just make one handle and be done with it, so I placed an add on Craigslist for someone with a shop and a kind heart to give me a hand. That worked great, but now I love the craft and want a lathe. I imagine if I get a lathe and some tools, I'll make a dozen more of these and be set for life, with about 11 to give away as gifts.

Last edited:
Moai, there are some decent import short bed lathes available for less than $200 new. I have no personal experience with them though, other than the reviews read well. I am using an old Atlas engine lathe, cleaning up after wood working is a bear, but it does a nice job.

Phil

Top Bottom