What's new

Morris & Forndran Group Buy Launch *ORDERING CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I’m pleased to announce launch of the Morris & Forndran Shaving Brush Group Buy. Thanks to all who have patiently waited since we closed the Gauging Interest thread.

Brush description

Knot dimensions (approximate): 25mm diameter where the knot inserts into the handle x 50mm loft (approx. average)

Note that these knots will be handmade and as such there will inevitably be some variances.

Handle dimensions: 60mm (H) x 36.8mm (W)

Handle style, material, and knot shape: See included photos of the final prototype, the knot dimensions of which are 25mm x 49mm.

Knot characteristics:

These brushes will include knots comparable in shape to the one shown in the photos and be made of 2-band hair labeled “Blonde Badger”. I’ve used two prototype brushes knotted with hair of the same type. Neither brush was what I’d call floppy. But they also weren’t very scrubby, and I detected no hint of scritch (although, as always, YMMV). The knots in both prototypes were of medium density. The hair struck me as soft for 2-band. Some would consider that to be a good quality; others would prefer a coarser hair with more backbone, scrub, and possibly even a bit of scritch. This isn’t the latter. What it is, in my subjective opinion, is a finely textured and soft 2-band badger hair that I would expect to be happiest when used with light to moderate (i.e., not heavy) pressure focused mainly on working the tips.

Please note that I am not personally recommending these brushes. All who buy one will do so at their own risk.

Available quantity and individual purchase limit

Quantities are limited. Lee has committed to produce and sell up to 100 brushes in connection with this group-buy offering. This group buy is intended for the benefit of active Badger & Blade members. Individual members will be limited to the purchase of one brush each.

Price

60 BPS (approximately $93 at the current exchange rate) plus rounded shipping costs with tracking, delivery confirmation, and insurance via Royal Mail (currently estimated cost for shipping to CONUS = 12.50 BPS or approx. $20; see Royal Mail Price Finder here)

Ordering process and window:

1) Send me a PM ASAP with “Group Buy Invoice Request” in the subject header. Include both your email address and your physical address for shipment. (Double-check your addresses.) Please do not post “PM sent” into this thread.

2) I will download all PMs into an Excel spreadsheet and forward it to Lee for his use in issuing PayPal invoices. Payment will be by PayPal only. I will maintain and share with Lee an updated spreadsheet, which he and I will use to track, cross-check, and confirm order, payment, shipment, and delivery status.

3) It will probably take a little time for Lee to complete issuance of 100 PayPal invoices. Once you receive an invoice, please review it promptly but carefully to confirm its accuracy in all respects (e.g., price, shipping and related costs, shipping address, etc.), then complete payment ASAP.

4) After completing payment, send a PM to me with “Paid” in the subject header. Failure to pay promptly following issuance of an invoice may result in loss of opportunity to purchase a brush and refund of any payment subsequently made.

5) Lee is willing to ship at cost to destinations outside CONUS provided they are served by Royal Mail with tracking, delivery confirmation, and insurance included. (See Royal Mail Price Finder here.) It may take a little longer to issue PayPal invoices in these cases, so please be patient.

6) The window for indicating a desire to purchase a brush and providing required information will be open from today (April 27, 2013) through May 7, 2013 (i.e., ten days) unless earlier closed (e.g., due to commitment of all available brushes).

7) Either Lee or I (depending on status in process) will endeavor to notify members whose request for an invoice (per instruction 2 above) will not be fulfilled (e.g. due to insufficient quantity of available brushes).

8) It is expected to take at least eight weeks following payment (and possibly longer) for all brushes to be made and deposited with Royal Mail for shipment. Shipping time will be subject to Royal Mail policy and actual performance. (The final prototype Lee recently sent to me took 5 days to be delivered in Kansas City from the time it arrived in Chicago.)

9) When you receive your brush, please let me know by PM with “Brush Delivered” in the subject header.

Parties

This should go without saying, but to ensure there is no confusion, purchase/sale transactions pursuant to this group buy will be strictly between individual members as Buyers and Lee Sabini as Seller. I am serving neither as a broker, agent, nor representative in relation to any Buyer or Lee Sabini. I don’t guarantee or warrant anyone’s performance or satisfaction. My role will be to facilitate the process and communication in relation to it as a volunteer without any legal duty.

A few thoughts regarding brush care

Different people have varying opinions about 1) best practices in the use of badger hair shaving brushes and 2) what kinds of treatment a brush should be able to withstand without resulting damage. I’m not an expert. The habits I’ve personally adopted reflect my belief that it’s probably best not to subject a brush to harsher treatment than getting its job done requires. I don’t find it necessary (or even useful) to soak my brushes for longer than a few minutes, and I never expose them to very hot water. I mostly face lather, but also use a bowl occasionally. I try to work mostly with the tips and I never mash or aggressively stir the knot into a soap puck or against my face (or palm, or anything else). Not all badger hair is created equal, not even all hair within a designated grade. As stated above, I judge this to be relatively soft and fine 2-band hair. I recommend taking that into account when using and caring for this brush.

$M&F-GBFPPB.jpg

$M&FGB-FPF424.jpg

$M&FGB-FPB424.jpg

$M&F-GBFP-TK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom