What's new

Morris & Forndran-Finest vs Super

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I haven't experienced the higher-end and the very rare Morris&Forndran "blonde badger", I know it's supposed to be an extremely high-quality knot, maybe it really is, but I'm almost sure that current offers by Morris&Forndran are not quite up to the traditionally very high standard of the the brushes they used to make a few years ago. I'm curious about what members that have their older brushes have to say about this.

I have 2 of these guys (image from 2012) not sure about the exact purchase date but these are still in my top 5 of all times:
1601884350648.png

1601884420175.png

This one (Rooney 3XL Super) has been replanted into anther nat. material handle by Rudy Vey and takes the top crown in my stable.
1601884462424.png

I haven't experienced the higher-end and the very rare Morris&Forndran "blonde badger", I know it's supposed to be an extremely high-quality knot, maybe it really is, but I'm almost sure that current offers by Morris&Forndran are not quite up to the traditionally very high standard of the the brushes they used to make a few years ago. I'm curious about what members that have their older brushes have to say about this.
Maybe I am weird, but I have had a bunch of M&F's from the last couple of years and I like them just as much as the older ones. So much so that I sold the couple of older ones I had. I will say that the older ones had a softer feel, especially the Blondes, which were well-broken in. As for Blonde vs Finest, plenty of people prefer Finest. I've had both, but no recent Blondes. My older ones were not much different than the Finests from that time. The one Blonde that I got unused felt like a Finest at first, but broke in faster and was then softer at the tips. Another one was really used and had gel tips. I find the newer Finests have a little bit stronger backbone with the same nice shape. So far, no gel tips on my newer brushes, but no scritch either.

I regret the Lee Saving brushes I sold but needs must and I do still have a few. Here's what I have or have had, several of each.....
Rooney's, Heritage Super Three Band and Two Band
M&F, Blonde Badger and Finest
They're all excellent and I wouldn't get picky about qualities of each that really don't matter.
P.S. they were all Fans when I had a choice, the Rooney's, Hybrids.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Maybe I am weird, but I have had a bunch of M&F's from the last couple of years and I like them just as much as the older ones. So much so that I sold the couple of older ones I had. I will say that the older ones had a softer feel, especially the Blondes, which were well-broken in. As for Blonde vs Finest, plenty of people prefer Finest. I've had both, but no recent Blondes. My older ones were not much different than the Finests from that time. The one Blonde that I got unused felt like a Finest at first, but broke in faster and was then softer at the tips. Another one was really used and had gel tips. I find the newer Finests have a little bit stronger backbone with the same nice shape. So far, no gel tips on my newer brushes, but no scritch either.

I understand. Thank you for your informative reply.
You seem to have a lot of experience with different brushes.
I know this is not directly related to this thread, but I want to try and ask you a question about Rooney brushes. As far as I know they were also made by Lee Sabini in UK, at least for a certain period of time, but they are not available for a few years now. I've heard about serious inconsistensy issues in their quality when they were still available, and that a few specific models were really great and even turned legendary, and others not so much. I've had limited experience with Rooney brushes - a couple of years ago I've bought a second-hand Rooney brush and really liked it. Can't recall now what model it was, as far as I remember it was some type of "Stubby". But for no clear reason after some time I've made a really stupid decision and sold it. I regret that now. But some time ago I was able to purchase another second-hand Rooney - Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 Super Badger (3-band). It seems to me like a really good brush. What can you say about this Rooney issue and also about trying to make a comparison between Morris&Forndran and Rooney brushes?
Thank you.

I understand. Thank you for your informative reply.
You seem to have a lot of experience with different brushes.
I know this is not directly related to this thread, but I want to try and ask you a question about Rooney brushes. As far as I know they were also made by Lee Sabini in UK, at least for a certain period of time, but they are not available for a few years now. I've heard about serious inconsistensy issues in their quality when they were still available, and that a few specific models were really great and even turned legendary, and others not so much. I've had limited experience with Rooney brushes - a couple of years ago I've bought a second-hand Rooney brush and really liked it. Can't recall now what model it was, as far as I remember it was some type of "Stubby". But for no clear reason after some time I've made a really stupid decision and sold it. I regret that now. But some time ago I was able to purchase another second-hand Rooney - Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 Super Badger (3-band). It seems to me like a really good brush. What can you say about this Rooney issue and also about trying to make a comparison between Morris&Forndran and Rooney brushes?
Thank you.
I don't have as much experience with Rooneys. I had a great Heritage 3 band in a real horn handle from what most people consider the good old days. I also had a more recent one with Super Badger. It was a decent brush, post Sabini, and not as good as the older one or any of my M&F's. I sold both of them. You can get good money for older Rooneys in good condition, so I don't consider it a stupid move.

Top Bottom