What's new

Am I Out of My Mind? Seriously, Am I?

This may have already been suggested but check it out. You might fit in BOSC (Brotherhood Of Shave Crazies)

There are also challenges to curb buying.

I'm a BOSC member and have done some of the curbing of spending challenges.

Good luck LOL!

I think I might be going a little crazy. I'm wondering about it. And a little worried about myself.

I thought I'd switch to old-fashioned DE razor blades to see if I can save a little money, having only slim hopes that I could adjust to it. But then I got very interested in all the reviews and videos and so forth. A recent post here talked about "immersion mode"—yup, that. I agonized over the Rockwell 6C vs. the 2C for several days. To save money, I ordered a Rockwell 2C. I saw several posts in various places saying the 2C worked well with Nacets, so I bought a little 5-pack (what's the word for that?) of those.

My Rockwell arrived. I totally love it. First of all, I could readily tell the difference between the 1 side and the 3 side, which I didn't think I was going to be able to. The 3 plate (it comes with only one plate, the 1+3) is perfect. And I could actually tell the difference between the Rockwell blades and the Nacets, which also surprised me. The Nacets are just fine. Nothing to complain about.

So I got all enthused, because the shave is just great and my face actually feels BETTER after shaving than before! That's a first. I actually found myself looking forward to shaving, which I honestly think is the very first time in my life I have ever said such a preposterous thing.

So I have NO COMPLAINTS, you're getting that part? Love the razor, everything works well, totally satisfied.

So here's the crazy part. I have now bought five razors.

FIVE.

What the...?!? Who need FIVE razors?!?

I'm now the proud owner of the Rockwell 2C, a Rex Envoy ($135 new, with free shipping—Kent of Inglewood), a RazoRock Game Changer .84, a RazoRock Hawk v3, and a vintage Gillette Tech with the replica handle from Razor Emporium.

I'd show you a picture of them, except NONE OF THEM BUT THE ROCKWELL ARE HERE YET. And, I bought the Rex Envoy before the Rockwell 2C had even arrived on my front porch.

That's right—I bought four razors before the one before had even gotten here.

I'm losing my nut, friends. Off my gourd. Round the bend! Cobwebs in the attic. Lost all sense.

Worse, I'm actually thinking about keeping all five. Eight days ago I could hardly imagine needing more than one razor. Heck, I've been using my Mach 3 handle since Bill Clinton was President (and does it ever look like it). But for some reason it just seems like...I don't know...an interesting to get to know all five of them. For some unknown reason.

Probably because I have gone Looney Toons for good. Crazy as a shot-at rat.

Does anyone else in history or on the globe own as many as FIVE razors?!? Tell me I'm not crazy....

Kind regards,
MtB

Look what arrived as I was writing this:
Welcome to the club.
Good news you can always find the one you like the best band sell the rest.
You won't, but you could.

Don't forget to look at the straight razor forum. There are wonderful straight razors and changeable blade straight razor/shavettes to admire and desire to be found therein.

Yesterday, I used a newly sharpened black horn Thiers Issard singing hollowed straight razor and today I used a Parker PTW changeable blade straight razor.

I know it's hard and now your beard won't grow fast enough but take it slow............
Yes you almost have to...several times I have finished a shave and thought, I'd like to shave with X now, right away...and then it hits me...nothing there to shave....

Worse, I think I'm going to come down to shaving only every other day. I got up this morning, looked myself in the mirror, and thought, I look fine. A faint carpet of stubble, of course, but mine doesn't show up much. No reason to shave really....

As Charlie Brown used to say, Auuugh!

MtB

But I am being disciplined enough that I have not even tried my Razorock Game Changer yet. I've had it for a week almost.

I did try the Envoy. That is a wicked little thing! Even the "knurling" feels like it grips your skin, which is almost disconcerting. It kept attacking my face. It struck me that it is beyond my skill level.

MtB

Don't forget to look at the straight razor forum. There are wonderful straight razors and changeable blade straight razor/shavettes to admire and desire to be found therein.

Yesterday, I used a newly sharpened black horn Thiers Issard singing hollowed straight razor and today I used a Parker PTW changeable blade straight razor.

Come on Doc, don’t be cruel. Let his DE razors arrive before you make him start buying straights, strops, stones, etc. He’s going to be exiled from his house before he finishes his first tuck of blades!

Welcome to B&B!

Although neither I nor the other inmates her are qualified to assess your sanity, I would say that to have only five razors is indeed crazy.

Around here, what you have described is considered a minimalist travel kit.

But I am being disciplined enough that I have not even tried my Razorock Game Changer yet. I've had it for a week almost.

I did try the Envoy. That is a wicked little thing! Even the "knurling" feels like it grips your skin, which is almost disconcerting. It kept attacking my face. It struck me that it is beyond my skill level.

MtB
Some razors definitly will require a much different technique but that's part of the fun. I just got a super heavyweight 162 gram stubby razor with the handle being almost the size of a nickel in diameter. It's a great little razor but challenges me for sure...

Who knows...
But don't forget to do the correct math and balancing of all your shave products. So let me throw out a reference ( low balling - minimium rad requirements formual):
5 Razors:
Blades: 5 x 50 = 250
Soaps: 5 x Days Shaved(#) x Scents you like(#) = ?
Brushes: 5 x Days Shaved(#) x Total Number Soaps = ?
Shave Bowls : 7 ( never use the bowl two days in a row)
Extra Handles: A must - emergency or accidents happen.
Post Shave Items: 5 x Days Shaved x Wife (or more) x Fav. Scents= ?
Hope it is help,
BFX
If it worth doing, it worth overdoing ...
Hobbies / Enjoyment...
"What's in your wallet?"
Buy it, try it, don't use it, lose it...

So here's the crazy part. I have now bought five razors.

FIVE.

What the...?!? Who need FIVE razors?!?

I have seven and I think that's way too much, but when I browse this forum I realize that having 7 razors is nothing some people here have way more :biggrin1: I have 600 Feather blades, 200 Permasharp's, 100 Astra SP's and yet I have ordered 500 Wizamet Super Iridium razors. Oh and I never thought I would buy a second brush but I'm considering buying one after getting back on this forum since a couple years.

You CAN save money IF you leave this forum and stick to a minimalist setup, but man the TOBS shaving creams are so good they smell so nice. I HAVE TO BUY THEM ALL! And I'm not even mentioning the aftershaves and fragrances.

Oh and I never thought I would buy a second brush but I'm considering buying one after getting back on this forum since a couple years.
When I first started I thought I would only buy a new brush, pack of blades, razor, soap etc when I needed a new one. That didn’t work out well. Found 5 brushes that work well for me. I have around a dozen tech razors and a 1948-50 aristocrat razor that I enjoy. More soaps than I care to admit and 3-4 aftershaves that I enjoy

Top Bottom