What's new

Morris & Forndran-Finest vs Super

Good evening everyone!

I am getting ready to order my first M&F (L7 at 24mm in case anyone is wondering) and was curious if anyone with a recent order has any insight into the characteristics of these knots. I have discussed them with Brad and also wanted to get some other thoughts regarding what yall thought of them. Thanks!

I'm super curious too and will be following this thread. Really wondering if the Brad Sears M&F brushes are anything like the ones from Lee Sabini 10+ years ago. Abd please correct me if I'm wrong as I recall Lee Sabini also made the Rooney brushes around that same time... and some were rebranded for Truefitt &Hill. I have the T&H Style 1/1 and Style 1/3. Both are beautiful with super soft knots but not as dense as brushes are now and don't get much, if any, use. Just decoration now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I got an L7 earlier this year. I also got a declaration grooming b7 at the same time. I am not trying to discourage anyone but the DG is fantastic.

I have M&F brushes with Finest and Blonde Badger knots. Never heard of M&F Super.

BB is close to perfect—soft tips plus backbone and great water and heat retention. Almost too easy!

Finest has a bit of what folks here call “scritch” and even more backbone. Equally good water and heat retention. Break-in takes maybe 2 dozen shaves. With break-in the scritch diminishes, but backbone remains. Great for lathering hard soap but not as luxurious as the BB.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have M&F brushes with Finest and Blonde Badger knots. Never heard of M&F Super.

BB is close to perfect—soft tips plus backbone and great water and heat retention. Almost too easy!

Finest has a bit of what folks here call “scritch” and even more backbone. Equally good water and heat retention. Break-in takes maybe 2 dozen shaves. With break-in the scritch diminishes, but backbone remains. Great for lathering hard soap but not as luxurious as the BB.
I have a Rooney Super, a superb two-band hair. I bought it before I bought my M&F Blonde Badger - in in my book the Super is a much better quality than the Bl Badger, still have the Rooney, but got rid of the M&F...

I have a Rooney Super, a superb two-band hair. I bought it before I bought my M&F Blonde Badger - in in my book the Super is a much better quality than the Bl Badger, still have the Rooney, but got rid of the M&F...

Wow, Rudy. That’s saying something! Are these Super knots available?

I have an M&F branded Blonde which must be about seven or eight years old and it's a fantastic brush; good backbone, soft tips, nice density and good flow through. I've also used two more recent brushes with M&F knots in handles made by other people, one a Finest and the other a Blonde, and neither was as good as the older model. The Finest, in particular, I found very average. It was, I thought, lacking in density and felt like it had been made last thing on a Friday afternoon. I realise that hand made items will display some variation, but to me that was unacceptable.

Wow, Rudy. That’s saying something! Are these Super knots available?
You can get an M&F with Super Badger hair now. However, what Rudy mentioned is Super 2 band. The current Super knots are three band. There was also Super three band in older M&F's and Rooneys, and the famous Heritage hair came in 2 and 3 band and they were also labeled as Super. I prefer Finest to Blonde, and I definitely want to try the current Super grade.

Have you recently tried the Morris & Forndran super badger? Can you give me some feedback? Is it very different from the super badger Simposon? Thank you

Have you recently tried the Morris & Forndran super badger? Can you give me some feedback? Is it very different from the super badger Simposon? Thank you

I got a Style 1 with a Super knot either late in 2019 or early 2020 before the pandemic. It was pretty much as soon as I could order one when the Style 1 was Brad's brush of the month. I like good three band silvertip/super and I really love the knot. The hairs are much finer and more flexible than the 2 band hair that M&F uses. Lee stuffs a lot of hair into a knot (which he also does with two band knots). I would say that density is similar in all M&F's regardless of hair type. The Super has a bit less backbone than either of the two bands (Blonde and Finest). Super has soft tips with no scritch even when new, but it does not have any hint of gel tips. I like modest gel tips, but not really extreme examples. I would say that it is pretty similar to Simpsons current super three band, but I like the M&F a smidge more. It seems to have a bit more backbone. My Tulip Super was a bit floppy. My CH2 Super is a great brush that fixes the flop with much more density but at the expense of flow-through. The M&F has backbone but with much better flow-through.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have a morris&forndran 2XL in 2-band Finest. The knot has a good backbone but a little scritchy. But Brad Sears says: "Finests tend to exhibit a slight amount of "scritch" during a 10-12 shave
"break-in" period; but once broken in, the tips become soft but not "squishy".

High praise indeed!! :a29:

I have a morris&forndran 2XL in 2-band Finest. The knot has a good backbone but a little scritchy. But Brad Sears says: "Finests tend to exhibit a slight amount of "scritch" during a 10-12 shave
"break-in" period; but once broken in, the tips become soft but not "squishy".
Brad is correct. Finest has a longer break in period. AT LEAST 15 shaves I would say. It will never lose that backbone though. Stick with it and it will become your best friend.

I accidentally ordered a Super Badger 3 band. In fact, I wanted the finest hair because I like a bigger backbone. The brush will arrive in 3 months

Currently, I only own older M&Fs, made before 2015. They are fantastic knots--either Blonde or Finest. I have 5 brushes and love them all. If you don't mind used, I highly recommend those knots from a BST. I did try one M&F Finest from 2017 and I wasn't a fan as I found it had some scritch. I do think Brad's handles are nicer because they are hand turned and he has some nice resin combinations.

I accidentally ordered a Super Badger 3 band. In fact, I wanted the finest hair because I like a bigger backbone. The brush will arrive in 3 months
I love my recent Super 3 band, and I love my Finest brushes, too. If you don't like the Super I have a nice L7 Finest made of clear and silver resin that I could trade you. It isn't even broken in yet. What style handle and size did you order.

thanks for the feedback, i will try the super badger and then order a finest so I can compare them with each other

Top Bottom