What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

For those who got brushes recently, how's the current batch of two band hair? Wondering how it'll compare to my thater in softness. I know it'll be more dense...

That's a difficult question to answer. There are a few different types of hair being offered by Lee. Secondly I don't know which Thater you are comparing it to.

Overall I have not been disappointed by the hair in any of the M&F brushes I have owned. Lee's brushes will have a higher density and shorter lofts than Thater's offerings. Thater may be a little bit softer, but that is the defining characteristic that differentiates Thater from the other brushes on the market.

Understood.

I'm specifically talking about the two band hair Lee refers to as heritage. My thater is a two band 4125/1.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll temper my expectations as to softness, slightly!

The Heritage hair is Lee's softest 2-band, in my opinion/experience. For this hair you can expect a higher density, and I would keep the loft at 2:1 or lower. Excellent choice!

I wanted to pick up a 2XL and a Chief and things got a little sideways on me. :wink2:

Here are the 2XLs:

$IMG_0419 (1024x403).jpg

The Chief and L7s:

$IMG_0425 (1024x498).jpg

And a group shot for prosperity's sake before I have to let some of these go:

$IMG_0431 (1024x399).jpg

I'm a big fan of Lee's work. The 2XL seems to be the perfect size brush for me of that style, and I prefer the smaller sized L7/Chief.

Nick I purchased all these from forum members. I started by placing a couple WTB/WTT threads with no luck for a 2XL or Chief. (I was able to pick up a couple of Rooney brushes from a very helpful member though. :wink2: ) So then I contacted Lee to have a 2XL made and received a reply from him. I sent a follow-up back and that's when the flood gates opened so to speak. I picked up a heritage hair 2XL and then another with gel tips from the same member. I picked up the smaller L7 and the 3-band 2XL off the BST. I picked up the Chief and 2XL from another great forum member and kind of stumbled onto the rest. It's been great trying out the different types of badger hair, lofts, and sizes. I usually use one brush for a couple passes and then another for last two passes to compare them and see what characteristics I like about each type. Some of the differences are subtle and some more noticeable. It's the only way I can really compare them and it's helped me find out what type of brush I like best. Problem is I like them all.

Nick I purchased all these from forum members. I started by placing a couple WTB/WTT threads with no luck for a 2XL or Chief. (I was able to pick up a couple of Rooney brushes from a very helpful member though. :wink2: ) So then I contacted Lee to have a 2XL made and received a reply from him. I sent a follow-up back and that's when the flood gates opened so to speak. I picked up a heritage hair 2XL and then another with gel tips from the same member. I picked up the smaller L7 and the 3-band 2XL off the BST. I picked up the Chief and 2XL from another great forum member and kind of stumbled onto the rest. It's been great trying out the different types of badger hair, lofts, and sizes. I usually use one brush for a couple passes and then another for last two passes to compare them and see what characteristics I like about each type. Some of the differences are subtle and some more noticeable. It's the only way I can really compare them and it's helped me find out what type of brush I like best. Problem is I like them all.

So I have to ask, after all the time, testing, and money spent, do you have a favorite knot/hair type?

I just got confirmation from Lee earlier this week and should be getting a shipping notice any day now. I hope to be a member of this fine group in about 1-2 weeks. I ordered and "Chief" in Ivory and a 2XL in Tortoise. The Chief will be Blond Badger (25/50) hybrid knot, but the 2XL will be a 2-Band (28/50) , fan shaped knot, based on Lee's suggestion, not Blond Badger. He said the 2-Band knot is his favorite knot for face lathering, so we'll see. Based on all the great reviews his brushes get, I'm not worried.

So I have to ask, after all the time, testing, and money spent, do you have a favorite knot/hair type?

I just got confirmation from Lee earlier this week and should be getting a shipping notice any day now. I hope to be a member of this fine group in about 1-2 weeks. I ordered and "Chief" in Ivory and a 2XL in Tortoise. The Chief will be Blond Badger (25/50) hybrid knot, but the 2XL will be a 2-Band (28/50) , fan shaped knot, based on Lee's suggestion, not Blond Badger. He said the 2-Band knot is his favorite knot for face lathering, so we'll see. Based on all the great reviews his brushes get, I'm not worried.

Depends on what I'm going for.

Short loft/very dense brush - Heritage hair
Normal loft/normal density brush - Blonde Badger

In the 2XL it sounds like Lee put Heritage hair. Should be a nice brush for you! Don't forget to post pics.

I wanted to pick up a 2XL and a Chief and things got a little sideways on me. :wink2:

Here are the 2XLs:

View attachment 416173

The Chief and L7s:

View attachment 416175

And a group shot for prosperity's sake before I have to let some of these go:

View attachment 416177

I'm a big fan of Lee's work. The 2XL seems to be the perfect size brush for me of that style, and I prefer the smaller sized L7/Chief.

What hair do you have in those 2XLs. A couple seem different from the others.

What hair do you have in those 2XLs. A couple seem different from the others.

From left to right:

(1) Probably Blonde Badger - the brush is marked that way and the previous owner wasn't sure
(2) Heritage
(3) Blonde Badger
(4) Heritage with Gel Tips
(5) Finest
(6) Super Badger - I'm not familiar with Lee's grade of 3-band hair but it's marked as Super. It's the densest brush I've ever used.

From left to right:

(1) Probably Blonde Badger - the brush is marked that way and the previous owner wasn't sure
(2) Heritage
(3) Blonde Badger
(4) Heritage with Gel Tips
(5) Finest
(6) Super Badger - I'm not familiar with Lee's grade of 3-band hair but it's marked as Super. It's the densest brush I've ever used.

I was not aware any gel tip Rooney or M&F 2XL brush ever came in any handle other than faux ivory. I have never seen later iterations of the XL series that came in jade/tortoise/butterscotch/briar etc with true gel tip hair, yours would be the first. Of course I could be incorrect, but these handle materials started coming out after the 2010/2011 batch of gel hair was gone.

I was not aware any gel tip Rooney or M&F 2XL brush ever came in any handle other than faux ivory. I have never seen later iterations of the XL series that came in jade/tortoise/butterscotch/briar etc with true gel tip hair, yours would be the first. Of course I could be incorrect, but these handle materials started coming out after the 2010/2011 batch of gel hair was gone.

I have a gel tip M&F 2XL in Butterscotch. I had a 1XL and Stubby 1 from the original batch of gel tip Rooney's, not sure exactly when they were produced, but all three of these brushes seem to have the same type of hair in them. There have been some other M&F brushes with gel tip hair popping up in this thread as well. Perhaps Lee may have had a secret stash of it? Maybe enough to use in some M&F customs, but not enough for a full batch of Rooney's? Not sure! But they're definitely out there.

I have what I think is a gel tip 2XL in faux briar. I don't have another gel tip to compare it to, but I have a Rooney Finest, a Blonde Badger and a Heritage, and it's unlike any of those. And the tips are undoubtedly hooked when dry.

Top Bottom