What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

I have a gel tip M&F 2XL in Butterscotch. I had a 1XL and Stubby 1 from the original batch of gel tip Rooney's, not sure exactly when they were produced, but all three of these brushes seem to have the same type of hair in them. There have been some other M&F brushes with gel tip hair popping up in this thread as well. Perhaps Lee may have had a secret stash of it? Maybe enough to use in some M&F customs, but not enough for a full batch of Rooney's? Not sure! But they're definitely out there.

Well, if that is indeed the case, good news. I had long given up on the possibility of owning a jade or tortoise 2XL gel tip.

I have what I think is a gel tip 2XL in faux briar. I don't have another gel tip to compare it to, but I have a Rooney Finest, a Blonde Badger and a Heritage, and it's unlike any of those. And the tips are undoubtedly hooked when dry.

A real gel tip Rooney or M&F is simply unmistakable. There are many other brushes out there with curly, hooked tips but do not have the gel tip feel.

Last edited:
A real gel tip Rooney or M&F is simply unmistakable. There are many other brushes out there with curly, hooked tips but do not have the gel tip feel.

True for me too.

My M&F / Rooney hooked tips are more sponge/foam paint brush like feel (gel I guess) then say the SR or Kent that has the same hooked tips.

Last edited:
Can anyone shed some light on wait times for Lee the past couple weeks? How long are they usually taking from payment to delivery?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Can anyone shed some light on wait times for Lee the past couple weeks? How long are they usually taking from payment to delivery?

Whatever the response, I'd guess experience is highly variable, and that one day (or week) probably doesn't serve as a reliable predictor of the next.

In any case, good luck.

Whatever the response, I'd guess experience is highly variable, and that one day (or week) probably doesn't serve as a reliable predictor of the next.

In any case, good luck.

+1 I have a brush coming from Lee that (as near as I can tell) was shipped off to me 3 weeks ago today and it has not arrived. I also have a strop from a Valet autostrop set coming from another member across the pond that was shipped a couple of weeks ago and has not arrived. It seems shipping may be slow right now? As Ken said.... a lot of variables.

Ben

I had two packages from the UK around the first of the year that were caught in customs purgatory for almost a month. Seems that you're not allowed to use the post to ship illegal substances (shocking) and customs was holding up a bunch of containers.

Last edited:
I completed two orders with Lee:
  • Handles were available (actually 4 handles from his stock and I picked from sample pictures).
    Took 3-4 weeks for knots to be made and final shipment to my door.
  • Handle Material Not In Stock - took 8 weeks after payment (Lee had to buy more material and make handles).

Last edited:
Just a quick note, based on an email with Lee yesterday his CNC router is down and he can't turn any handles until that gets fixed, he is limited to whatever is on hand. In good news (well for me anyway) I have a 26mm Blond Badger incoming in one of the last Chief style handles (Imi Ivory)...let the wait begin!

Following are the pictures of the M&F 2XL with gel tips. They are taken after the brush was rinsed and the excess water was shaken out but before the tips were dried. The heritage hair is on the left, the gel tips in the center, and finest hair on the right. Notice how the tips clump together.

$M&F 1.jpg

$M&F 2.jpg

Next is a picture after the tips have been dried. It's not the clearest picture but you can still see how the tips are still clumped. It reminds me of frosted mini-wheats.

$M&F 3.jpg

$Frosted_Mini_Wheats.jpg

To me the gel tips feel like a cotton ball wrapped in velvet. They are incredibly soft but dense. They also stick together somewhat so you lose the feel of the individual hairs and the brush doesn't splay as much as the heritage hair. That might be a turn off for some but it's my favorite type of badger hair.

Great pics and comparisson. I only have one Gel Tip Heritage 2 Band in my den right now. We'll see which version shows up in my Beehive...I'm good either way.

Your Gel tipped brush looks exactly like the hair in my Disco 2XL. The pics below are after a soak and shook excess water out.

To me it feels like the foam spongey paining pads. Luxurious, dense and ultra soft with zero scritch or scrub.

$uploadfromtaptalk1393290520538.jpg
proxy.php

Last edited:
Seeing those pics, I am having serious doubts as to my earlier statement on my 2XL. It's got the hooked tips, and it doesn't feel anything like my other Blonde Badger, but it doesn't look like the ones above, either. Good thing I'm in the sabbatical. :lol:

Top Bottom