What's new

More Yaqis, first impressions and reviews to follow.

I really love the Black Marble Tuxedo I got last week. That’ll keep me happy for a while. But when the time comes to get my first badger I’m thinking the Aqua High Mountain Silvertip may be my choice. The Black Marble is my first Yaqi brush and I must say the build quality and material seems excellent so I’m hoping their badger would be of the same quality. And doesn’t it look nice just sitting there waiting to be picked up!

It's a great brush isn't it :)!

I really love my AHM badger too but it's a very unique brush that might not suit everyone.

You'll need to pre soak it initially as the hairs are really fine and sharp, next it's rather floppy and has a splay like an orange, lastly its so densely packed it takes a good 24 to 36 hrs to dry. Even hanging it on a fan takes it forever to dry.
IMG_20190815_114825.jpg

I would choose these guys as my first badgers as they are awesome and are really affordable.

Silvertips
Either the mysterious space or short metal handle or a red marble.
IMG_20190617_202305.jpg IMG-20190811-WA0004.jpg

They dry faster and don't need any break-in. Have tips that are gel like and have slightly different splays. Most to least backbone heavy metal > red marble > mysterious space.

2 bands: These are my workhorses, they have slightly more backbone to a silvertip and with a 15 min presoaking become almost as soft as a silvertip and are 30% cheaper.

Red marble, short heavy metal and a purple fan.
IMG_20190711_173943.jpg
Again with the Silvertip they have slightly different splays n backbone.
Most to least:
Short metal > red marble > purple fan/bulb.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi

It's a great brush isn't it :)!

I really love my AHM badger too but it's a very unique brush that might not suit everyone.

You'll need to pre soak it initially as the hairs are really fine and sharp, next it's rather floppy and has a splay like an orange, lastly its so densely packed it takes a good 24 to 36 hrs to dry. Even hanging it on a fan takes it forever to dry.
View attachment 1008116

I would choose these guys as my first badgers as they are awesome and are really affordable.

Silvertips
Either the mysterious space or short metal handle or a red marble.
View attachment 1008127 View attachment 1008125

They dry faster and don't need any break-in. Have tips that are gel like and have slightly different splays. Most to least backbone heavy metal > red marble > mysterious space.

2 bands: These are my workhorses, they have slightly more backbone to a silvertip and with a 15 min presoaking become almost as soft as a silvertip and are 30% cheaper.

Red marble, short heavy metal and a purple fan.
View attachment 1008128
Again with the Silvertip they have slightly different splays n backbone.
Most to least:
Short metal > red marble > purple fan/bulb.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi
Thanks @mawashi for the detailed feedback on Yaqi badgers! This is very useful info that I will certainly take into account once I get into the badger den. I was just browsing the Yaqi store on Ali Express and saw all the ones you mentioned. Since we both own the Yaqi Black Marble I can use it as a reference. Would you say the two-band Red Marble Best Badger has about the equivalent splay and backbone as the Black Marble synthetic? It is indeed about half the cost too of the AHM. Thanks for any input!

MrBeez

Great collection!! Thanks for the comparison!! :a14::a14:
Somewhere on here I asked for brush recommendations. I put a ceiling of $60 on it. Was surprised that the most recommended brushes were Yaqi synthetics. For less than what I was willing to spend ordered the Timber Wolf and the Rainbow from WCS. Love them both. Thinking of ordering even more given the price.

Somewhere on here I asked for brush recommendations. I put a ceiling of $60 on it. Was surprised that the most recommended brushes were Yaqi synthetics. For less than what I was willing to spend ordered the Timber Wolf and the Rainbow from WCS. Love them both. Thinking of ordering even more given the price.
You should also check TurnNShave Quatermoon knot

Thanks @mawashi for the detailed feedback on Yaqi badgers! This is very useful info that I will certainly take into account once I get into the badger den. I was just browsing the Yaqi store on Ali Express and saw all the ones you mentioned. Since we both own the Yaqi Black Marble I can use it as a reference. Would you say the two-band Red Marble Best Badger has about the equivalent splay and backbone as the Black Marble synthetic? It is indeed about half the cost too of the AHM. Thanks for any input!

MrBeez

MrBeez,

It's not simply the splay you'll also need to consider the nature of the hairs. Syns don't charge their feel even when wet unlike natural hairs. To me the tux splays as large as the mysterious space but has more backbone so a similar brush would be a 2 band red marble or purple bulb.
IMG_20190816_084030.jpg

I prefer a denser knot so I simply got some 3mm silicon bands around 26mm inner diameter to firm up my purple 2 band fan to a similar backbone to the black tux.

Please pre soak a 2 band for 15 mins before face lathering so it doesn't get too skirtchy.

For $60 you can get 2 more badgers n keep it less than that lol.

I'll recommend you wait for 11/11 n you can get a silvertip plus 2 band and spend less than 60 for all 4 brushes :)

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Thanks @mawashi for all the helpful info!

MrBeez,

You're more than welcomed.

I wish Yaqi would make smaller knot/loft size as well, like the little Simpsons ' brushes.

They might but the market for small brushes is much less than for standard n large brushes.

The smallest I've tried from their range us the 22mm knots of the Cola and egg badgers. Those are perfectly sized for me as I don't need a ton of lather anyway lol.

Happy shaves everyone,

Mawashi

Brilliant solution. I place my brushes near the AC to dry over the winter. Otherwise the windowsill does a good job even with denser knots.

Thx naughtilus,

I try not to expose the brushes to directly sunlight due to possible damage to the resin.

Happy shaves buddy,

Mawashi

Just received one of those "blemished handle" synthetics and used it for the first time this morning. What a great brush for the price and No I couldn't find the blemish. Cost me $10. Canadian after the coupon and shipping was worked in. Best deal I've had for a while. Took less than 2 weeks to arrive.

Top Bottom