What's new

More ingrown hairs than usual.Why?

I barely ever got ingrown hairs. I have shaved the same way for a couple of years, and have even improved my technique. I go WTG, XTG, and XTG in the opposite direction. Never ATG. I only noticed this when I started using a Fat Boy. Other than that, same creams, soaps, brushes, and blades. Could it really be the razor itself or is something else going on?

Best way to tell is to go with the scientific method. If you have the ability, let the ingrown hairs heal, and then go back to your old razor. Shave with it for about a week and see if you get the ingrown hairs. If you don't, then rest your face for a day or two, and try the Fat Boy again. If the ingrown hairs come back, then you'll know it was the razor.

It's definitely the razor. It just so happens that I have a P.H.D. in Razor Rehabilitation. Send the offending razor to me and I will give it a thorough exam! ;) Seriously though, try a 2 pass shave for the next week or two. The razor may be to aggressive for a 3 pass and is causing your follicles to swell up, thus causing the hair shaft to bunch up in the follicle. Most likely, a 2 pass with that razor delivers the same performance as a 3 pass with your other razors. Or it's the recent outbreak of solar flares! Just a thought. :)

Two reasons generally for ingrown hairs:

1. shaving repeatedly over an area

2. shaving against the grain.

I only noticed this when I started using a Fat Boy.
IMHO, the angle a hair is sliced at affects how big the chance is for an ingrown hair. While I do not have a FatBoy I fully believe it might be cutting at a such angle. Some razors, regardless of pressure gives me ingrown while other not.

If it is on the neck, I feel for you. I can go only one pass on the neck. The hair there grows in all directions. I have found a pre shave oil and an aftershave that contains glycerin helps a lot, Aqua Velva.
It also seems that it is the same hairs that tend to ingrow. So, out they go.
If the hairs are ingrown, on the face, then for me, it is too much pressure.

If it is on the neck, I feel for you. I can go only one pass on the neck. The hair there grows in all directions. I have found a pre shave oil and an aftershave that contains glycerin helps a lot, Aqua Velva.
It also seems that it is the same hairs that tend to ingrow. So, out they go.
If the hairs are ingrown, on the face, then for me, it is too much pressure.
It's only on one side of my face, and I try my best to not apply any pressure.

I think it might be the aggressiveness of the razor not cutting close enough. The Fatboy is not overly aggressive compared to a lot of non adjustables made; even at the max setting.

I have a near 100% personal ingrown hair cure that I use when I get one. I will shave the skin off the top of the hair and the whisker along with it, like meat slicer. I turn my Vision to 11 and skim it of in 3-4 strokes over the area. Slicing off the skin in the isolated area is better than digging around with a needle. If it is too uncomfortable pain wise, Hold an ice cube on the area for a minute. Heals faster than that nasty infected wound that causing pain. Slicing heals quicker and has less chance of infection.

I feel for you. I get 3-4 a year and do this as my first line of defense.

Last edited:
Give your face some time to heal and just do a WTG and XTG shave. Use a mild razor, and sharp blade, no pressure, let the blade do the work. see what happens. If all is good do the same thing and add ATG and see. If nothing again, then it was the pressure.

Last edited:
Give your face some time to heal and just do a WTG and XTG shave. Use a mild razor, and sharp blade, no pressure, let the blade do the work. see what happens. If all is good do the same thing and add ATG and see. If nothing again, then it was the pressure.
Here's the thing... I don't barely apply pressure, never shave ATG, and keep my razor on a fairly mild setting. I don't know why it's happening all of a sudden.

Top Bottom