What's new

Money not an issue, best possible brush to get?

Well its according to if you put more stock in a handle, the knot, or both equally. There are many fine brush makers that you can order only a handle from and you can get it just about anyway possible. Some of these brushmakers also have very fine knots.As far as knots only, shavemac is probably going to be the best all around knot and you could put it in a handle of you choosing.

If you are willing to wait awhile then Paladins are tops. The handles are great, the knots are great, and if these were the only brushes made then we would be in brush Heaven

Romeras get good reviews but gustavo can be difficult to work with and the wait is 2 months but usally more. Im going on 2 and a half months for mine but people rave about the knots on these brushes

Then there is the mysterious legend Lee Sabini which as far as i know still does Morris and Fordran brushes. But ive heard of people trying to contact him for close to a year and have no luck, but maybe a few do get in touch, i dont really know. I have one i bought from someone and these are some of the best, at least mine is very very very good.

Then there are Simpsons. In my opinion, the best of the big brushmakers. Been around forever. Quality is great, especially considering how many are put out. Pricey but for people who dig brushes they are worth it. I think everyone should have at least one Simpson. The machurian is their top of the line and their 2-band silvertip to me is great.

Havent tried one but ill also mention the SV 2.0. Saponifacero varesimo 2.0. or something like that. These things look amazing and get great reviews. Definitely on my list.
And The Varlet, but its another that will be a very long wait.

To me any of these brushes would be a winner and range roughly from $100-$400.

The new inexpensive Plissofts have turned the brush game on its head. Cheaper is better. Italian Barber's 24mm and 26mm Monster sit in the $10-$12 price point. They do not shed a single bristle. They make better lather and are better on the face than anything else I have at up to 5 times the price.

Thank you all for taking your time to reply my question. I will do some research of every brush mentioned in this topic, though I am leaning much towards Simpson brush.

Hopefully that brush will live much longer than my Semogue 620!

Thank you all and have a nice day!

Money no object, I'd get exactly what I got from Rudy Vey last month:

Shavemac 2-band silvertip fan
24mm knot set to 48-50mm loft
Chief style handle

And it still costs less than a Chubby.

I personally recommend staying far away from Simpson brushes. I have a Chubby 1 in Best, which is unusably scratchy and painful (gave me my first brush burn trying to face lather and has loads of visible thick black hairs), is stupidly lather-hoggingly over-dense, and sheds 5 hairs or so after every lather, despite having lathered with it like 30ish times. My Wee Scot is meant to be in Best, but the color and scratchiness of the hair is identical to something in trashy pure badger. Stick to the artisan brushmakers and others mentioned throughout the thread, they're much more consistent in quality and are usually cheaper overall for the same/higher quality. Also, I totally agree with what others on the thread said about the new Plisson-style synthetics - cheap and better than nearly all badgers.

(Wow it feels good to finally vent about this :p )

About the wiborg, how do you order one anyways. I was willing to wait but dont know about now because i have bought some great brishes, anyways i have emailed through the site, to Florians email and told him what i wanted from the pics on the site and i got nothing.

That is exactly how I ordered mine as well. I have heard some folks have had difficulty getting ahold of him of late due to the volume of his business exploding now. I know I had to wait a long time for mine to be produced but the end product was more than worth the wait. I have owned many brushes during my tenure in wet shaving and I can say without hesitation that my two Wiborg brushes are amongst the very top brushes that I have ever used.

Those that say it is not worth paying more for a better quality brush have often not tried any of the higher end brushes. While there is a point of diminishing returns, no one can tell me that a cheaper badger brush will perform on an equivalent level and feel as nice as a higher quality brush. Your mileage may indeed vary...

Sure a Trabant can get you from A to B like a Rolls Royce would, but the experience is entirely different. My advice is to try some of the nicer brushes and draw your own conclusions.

Money not an issue, best possible brush to get?
Best is always highly subjective and selecting a brush is all about finding the right brush for the person. You need to be very clear what make a brush better than others for you. Take a look at the sticky on getting brush buying advice and give as much information as possible so we understand what "best" specifically means to you.

And give us a budget. Provide a number or a range. Everyone has a budget no matter what they claim.

Hope to get some insight which then I will do more research after this!

Edit: I face lather.

the best brush I've used for face lathering is a Duke 2 that I bought from a B&B member. I've had other Duke 2 brushes but the one brush killer IS the one for me. Others were nice but that used Duke is DA BOMB. That brush made me a believer in differences between the same brush on a given day of manufacture

I compared the brush killer Duke 2 with a Chubby 1 (about the same knot size and loft but different)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/285366-Duke-2-vs-Chubby-1-Face-lathering-title-bout

Second on the list of my all time favorite face lathering brushes would have to be a Da Vinci bead handle (293 model)

I did a review of mine a few years ago

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/297253-Da-Vinci-293-Bead-Handle-Brush-Review

That is exactly how I ordered mine as well. I have heard some folks have had difficulty getting ahold of him of late due to the volume of his business exploding now. I know I had to wait a long time for mine to be produced but the end product was more than worth the wait. I have owned many brushes during my tenure in wet shaving and I can say without hesitation that my two Wiborg brushes are amongst the very top brushes that I have ever used.

Those that say it is not worth paying more for a better quality brush have often not tried any of the higher end brushes. While there is a point of diminishing returns, no one can tell me that a cheaper badger brush will perform on an equivalent level and feel as nice as a higher quality brush. Your mileage may indeed vary...

Sure a Trabant can get you from A to B like a Rolls Royce would, but the experience is entirely different. My advice is to try some of the nicer brushes and draw your own conclusions.

I hear ya brother, my Paladins, M&F Blonde, shavemac, and Simfix with Simpsons 2-band silvertip are all worth it to me, but if someone doesnt want to pay that much then thats fine. Everybody has something that they are willing to pay more for that someone else says is not worth it, but this is shaving baby, its all worth it.

If you're set on Simpsons, definitely check out the Duke for face lathering. The Chubby is a great brush, but I thought it needed just a little more loft for my preference (I face lather exclusively).

It would be great if you could inspect the Simpsons before you buy it. There's a brick and mortar near me where I can look at individual brushes, but I know this is not an option for many people.

Trabant has contributed more to the advancement and betterment of our lives than has Rolls Royce. The modern weed wacker engine is practically a direct transplant from the old Trabants! :lol:

Duke 3 Manchurian, awesome face latherer and not too huge. Nice flow through and not a lather hog, yet with great backbone. Really hits the sweet spot!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel the handles are too small on the Duke and Chubby brushes take a look at the Polo brushes.

I almost sold the Duke 2 and kept the Polo 8 but just could not part with the Duke

proxy.php

I guess I would have Rudy Vey make me a brush to spec...using a Shavemac knot for certain. Doug Korn brushes look nice as well but I don't know what knots is is using

Top Bottom