What's new

Money not an issue, best possible brush to get?

For some reason, my Semogue 620 starts to shred like hell, and it is below two years old. Currently rotating between my Muhle STF V2.0 and Semogue 620, but it seems my Semogue 620 is nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Been out of the shaving community for a good while, lost touch with the shaving brush side. The last time I was here Simpsom Chubby was one of the best brush that one could buy with money, is it still the same today? Or have other brush come out and triumph that brush?

I'm typically looking at Badger Brush over Boar Brush over Synthetic Brush.

Hope to get some insight which then I will do more research after this!

Edit: I face lather.

Last edited:
While synthetic is your last option I would take my $10 RazoRock Plissoft over any badger or boar brush I have used to date.

For some reason, my Semogue 620 starts to shred like hell, and it is below two years old. Currently rotating between my Muhle STF V2.0 and Semogue 620, but it seems my Semogue 620 is nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Been out of the shaving community for a good while, lost touch with the shaving brush side. The last time I was here Simpsom Chubby was one of the best brush that one could buy with money, is it still the same today? Or have other brush come out and triumph that brush?

I'm typically looking at Badger Brush over Boar Brush over Synthetic Brush.

Hope to get some insight which then I will do more research after this!

Edit: I face lather.

Do you bowl or face lather? That will make a difference. Simpson brushes are good, but others are available which might offer more bang for your buck. A Shavemac two-band silvertip (made in Germany) has been my favourite brush for a year or so, but I also like my Kent BK8 brush (UK) and a Davinci silvertip (Germany), plus several other brushes.

$tmp_31601-20160715_140814429171334.jpg
OP, you are are going to get a different answer from just about everyone.
For some a cheap brush is perfect and for others only the pricey brushes will do. There will be debates until the end of time whether badger, boar, or synthetic brush knots are best.
Some things for you to consider are do you face or bowl lather, like large or small brushes, have a preference to knot material, and for some the appearance of the handle.
I could tell you what's best for me, but it may very well not be best for you.

Money is not an issue, I LIKE that!

For an exorbitant fee I will gladly commission a classic, high quality shaving brush made especially for you!

I will go to China, scout out the best badgers in the country, hire a hunting party and secure said badger (note: final fees will depend on number of hunting party injured or lost, and whether I keep some of the pelt to make a personal hat.)

I will then journey to South America. I will find the most highly figured piece of Rosewood or Cocobolo. Again, fees may vary depending on my out of pocket costs, such as, brothel tips, political bribes, etc.

Once I return to the States, I will turn the pelt over to a local transient to create the perfect knot, meanwhile I will retire to my shop with the wood and create an awesome pile of shavings.

When everything comes together I will ship your brush, by parcel class ensuring you receive it sometime.

Here is the last custom brush I delivered, the customer was very pleased. Note the angled tip, makes it so easy to lather under the nose.

$nice-corner-paint-brush-11-angled-paintbrush-1200-x-1200.jpg

Last edited:
I would steer you towards either a Wiborg (if you are willing to wait.) A Paladin or a Shavemac 2 band. The Simpsons two bands (if you can find them) or Manchurians from the latest batch are nice also.

It's important to do your research and read up on all your options before making a decision. Each brush has its own character and personality.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If you want a really nice handle with a good knot, Paladin. I parted with my PK-47 which had a great handle but wasn't my most efficient lather making brush.

If you want the most luxurious feeling knot possible, I would recommend Thater. Both their 2 and 3 band options feel amazing. Their acrylic handles are a little nicer than the standard ivory and ebony options in my experience.

For a brush that makes lather like nobody's business and will annihilate any soap you put in front of it while still feeling excellent on your face, look at the Simpson's Chubby line up.

Kind of depends on what you like. I think the Paladin strikes a great balance in feel between my Thater and Chubby. Not as soft as the Thater, but makes lather quicker. Not as efficient as my Chubby, but less dense and scrubby. Feels very nice on the face. I'm not much of a middle of the road type of guy, though, so I kept the other 2 which are my personal favorites. Ken makes great handles, though. I may have to order more from him later on.

I'll let others comment on the badger knots, as I'm a synthetic guy myself. As far as handles go, I say go custom if money is no object. It's alway nice to have something that not only is one of a kind, but something that you know was made specifically for you, to your requirements. Nathan Clark (Envy Shave), Paladin, Doug Korn, Wolf Whiskers, Rodney Neep, Rudy Vey, Brad Sears, and brush guy are all vendors I am considering for my first custom brush after my yearly sabbatical is over.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For badger, it is hard to beat Simpson Manchurian, but there's not much wrong with their Best. I'll take a Duke 3 over a Chubby, but that's really a matter of personal taste.

For boar, it's a toss up between the SOC and the B&B Essentials. The SOC might be a bit big for face lathering, but if it works for you, it's amazing. The B&B Essentials is fantastic for a smaller brush.

For synthetic, I'll take a Muehle. That said, if you want a Chubby in synthetic, it's there for the taking.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There is NO best brush, no matter what the price, no matter who makes the claim. There are, however, a crapload of favorite brushes and that is what you will get here.

My opinion on the best brush is........I don't know, but I'll put my money on the Simpson Special Best. You can pay a lot more money (10 times as much) and not get a brush that is truely better.

Want to spend more money than a Special costs? Take a good look at the Dukes and Chubbies, probably the 2 most iconic brushes Simpson makes.

I would steer you towards either a Wiborg (if you are willing to wait.) A Paladin or a Shavemac 2 band. The Simpsons two bands (if you can find them) or Manchurians from the latest batch are nice also.

It's important to do your research and read up on all your options before making a decision. Each brush has its own character and personality.

About the wiborg, how do you order one anyways. I was willing to wait but dont know about now because i have bought some great brishes, anyways i have emailed through the site, to Florians email and told him what i wanted from the pics on the site and i got nothing.

If I had all the money in the world, there is no way I would spend a lot of money on a shaving brush. I have numerous synthetics and one boar brush and they all cost dirt cheap. They are as good or even better than any much more expensive shaving brush.

Top Bottom