What's new

Modifying Safety Razor Aggressiveness & Efficiency with Blade, Shims, Reverse Shims, and Tape Strips

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Final Thoughts
Different reactions to this guide are expected. Whatever you might think about it, please, at least THINK about it. Even if you might be against the idea of modifying razors, you could use this guide to briefly investigate changes in blade exposure and guard span, which could lead to a better understanding of what works best for you and ultimately lead to razors that are better suited for you. Look at me. At first, I was against the idea of modifying razors out of principle, but now, I experiment with razor modifications and I'm the one who just put together a guide for others to tinker with their razors. :001_smile
Basically a person who tinkers a little is making a hybrid adjustable to his liking is the way I see it in simple form.
I shim my razors if they are not rigid enough(shim the bottom of cutting blade) or I'm curious if they could have a little more efficiency. To make a razor head is not a easy task for anyone or machine to keep it accurate when manufacturing!

Basically a person who tinkers a little is making a hybrid adjustable to his liking is the way I see it in simple form.
I shim my razors if they are not rigid enough(shim the bottom of cutting blade) or I'm curious if they could have a little more efficiency. To make a razor head is not a easy task for anyone or machine to keep it accurate when manufacturing!

Modifying or adjusting razors with shims, etc., is a good thing to try, especially since some razors aren't made as consistently as other razors are. Your adding of shims for more rigidity makes perfect sense. Have you tried adding the same number of reverse shims at the same time? That would probably add more blade rigidity while maintaining the original blade exposure. (The guard span would be more, of course, because of the shims.)

Ron R

Modifying or adjusting razors with shims, etc., is a good thing to try, especially since some razors aren't made as consistently as other razors are. Your adding of shims for more rigidity makes perfect sense. Have you tried adding the same number of reverse shims at the same time? That would probably add more blade rigidity while maintaining the original blade exposure. (The guard span would be more, of course, because of the shims.)
I do not see a lot of advantage to shimming the top of the blade unless the razor was poorly designed, it seems Manufactures have the top cap usually well built for arcing the blade. Placing tape to top cap would be for taming a very aggressive razor that is worth keeping in my view.(it has the most merit for changing the character of the cap by arching it downwards-less aggressive.).

Great write up, buddy!

Thanks, Al! :001_smile Great feedback! Very thoughtful. I appreciate it. :thumbup1:

Blade rigidity with tape strips:
Wouldn't this increase rigidity? Firstly you are increasing the arc length from the centre point of the blade to it's last point of contact ... or are you? I'm not entirely convinced by my own perspective here to be honest, but it might be worth giving it a second look at yourself. Secondly, due to Hooke's Law, the increased curvature of the blade will increases the forces exerted by both blade and cap. Although there is no lower clamp at that point, the upward force against the last support point is most certainly greater. This should increase rigidity (and reduce chatter).

Blade rigidity decreases with tape strips because the free-end distance increases. The longer the free end, the more the blade can deflect when subjected to the same force. Also, tape adds a little softness to the support compared to the original hard metal, which allow for a little more deflection, too. Thanks for reminding me, though, about CHATTER. I've written about that before with respect to tape strips. I forgot to mention that in my article. You're right that tape strips increase the curvature and increase the force applied to the cap, making it a little more difficult to deflect the blade down enough and lose contact with the cap. So, we can safely say that tape strips decrease the chances of chatter, but tape strips still decrease blade rigidity.

Efficiency Definition:
I'll try to use your terminology as much as possible so that we are on the same page. I think if the blade crosses the neutral plane or shave plane in any direction (as you pointed out to me in my walkthrough, some start off recessed), then I would agree that the modification has increased or decreased the efficiency of the blade. However, if the blade is proud before and after the modification, the efficiency of the razor is unchanged. The blade is still just as able to shave at skin level as it was before. What has changed though, is the angle range between cap riding and guard riding. I'm not convinced that's a reduction in efficiency though. In use, I would personally find that efficiency unchanged, as I would just compensate the presentation angle ...

You're right that an increase in an already positive blade exposure increases the angle range between cap riding and guard riding. (Here's another thing that I'm going to have to add. LOL! I puposefully stayed away from steep- and shallow-angle shaving in my write-up, but I'll probably add something about it now in the wiki article.) Also, it is possible that an increase in an already positive blade exposure might not be perceived as an increase in efficiency. It makes sense, though, that more blade exposure is GENERALLY perceived as more efficient. Skin is not perfectly flat, but curves in and out and flexes with the blade, so more blade exposure is more likely to contact skin and cut hair closer. Again, efficiency is GENERALLY related to blade exposure in the simplest approximation, as I wrote, but your points are completely valid and I should explicitly address this issue.

Aggression vs Efficiency:
"There is an interconnectivity, but in the simplest approximation, aggressiveness goes with guard span and efficiency goes with blade exposure" (first paragraph after the tables)
You might want to rephrase this bit. The guard span does allow more room for skin to bunch up if not held taut or pressure is applied, I'm somewhat neutral there, but I shall yield to your judgement - but I think the biggest contributor to aggressiveness is still the blade exposure. I also think the efficiency is whether the blade is proud, level, or below the "shave plane", not how far proud it is. Going from one point proud of that plane, to a second point even further proud of that plane, certainly increases aggression - but does it really make it any more efficient when it was capable of shaving at skin level already?

You're right that it's more complicated than what I wrote. I was sticking with the simplest approximation of aggressiveness and efficiency to help delineate between the two concepts and relate them in the easiest way to safety razor geometry. (I've never seen anyone else really do this before, but I could be wrong.) The focus throughout the article and guide is on changing safety razor parameters, which are measurable. Their relationship to aggressiveness and efficiency can be argued and is subjective because those concepts are subjective. I was trying to strike a balance between using familiar terminology of aggressiveness and extending that to the more concrete parameters of guard span and blade exposure. Regarding blade exposure and aggressiveness, yes, blade exposure totally relates to aggressiveness, as acknowledged in the article. Guard span totally relates to efficiency, too. The analysis and discussion is really based on neutral-angle shaving with a shave plane from guard to cap. A discussion about how increasing blade exposure relates to efficiency doesn't really matter for steep and shallow angle shaving could be warranted. Whenever the blade exposure is already positive and you add more blade exposure and you're adjusting your shaving angle to keep steep or shallow angle shaving, you're right, the modification wouldn't really matter. In that case, one probably wouldn't be modifying the razor anyway, except to modify guard span or cap span or blade rigidity if desired.

I'm not a modifier, as I think modifying the technique trumps any changes to make to the kit, but this is certainly a useful guide for those who are still looking towards hardware changes for them to achieve different results. It also lets people do a dry run on a different type of razor, before purchasing something which might not be to their liking.

Technique is more important, but hardware matters, too. You hit the nail on the head about how temporarily modifying a razor can let someone "do a dry run" and maybe find something that might be more to their liking.

You might also want to suggest using a sacrificial blade for measuring the blade exposure, so that folks aren't shaving with a blade that's been digging into a piece of acrylic, and possibly affecting the edge ...

That's a good idea! Thanks! :001_smile I'll do that. Personally, I haven't felt any problems with my blade checks, but a sacrificial blade could be used if that's a concern.

I do not see a lot of advantage to shimming the top of the blade unless the razor was poorly designed, it seems Manufactures have the top cap usually well built for arcing the blade. Placing tape to top cap would be for taming a very aggressive razor that is worth keeping in my view.(it has the most merit for changing the character of the cap by arching it downwards-less aggressive.).

Tape does have the most potential for taming aggressive razors. I agree. Reverse shimming can increase blade rigidity even for a razor that is designed and built well, and if neutral-angle shaving, reverse shims will also decrease blade exposure if that's something that is desired to make a razor less agressive or efficient.

Ron R

Reverse shimming can increase blade rigidity even for a razor that is designed and built well, and if neutral-angle shaving, reverse shims will also decrease blade exposure if that's something that is desired to make a razor less aggressive or efficient.
I had to give this some thought before I started to write and rigidity would be marginal and best example would be something like the Phoneix slant open comb Bakelite that has a lot of blade exposure and is made of plastic material.(Nothing wrong with the razor but it could be tweaked in that respect of greater rigidity and less aggressive if a person desires.)
So I would have to agree with your thoughts on that theory or statement.:a8:

Last edited:
I had to give this some thought before I started to write and rigidity would be marginal and best example would be something like the Phoneix slant open comb Bakelite that has a lot of blade exposure and is made of plastic material.(Nothing wrong with the razor but it could be tweaked in that respect of greater rigidity and less aggressive if a person desires.)
So I would have to agree with you thoughts on that theory or statement.:a8:

Cool! :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks, Al! :001_smile Great feedback! Very thoughtful. I appreciate it. :thumbup1:

You're welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful

Blade rigidity decreases with tape strips because the free-end distance increases. The longer the free end, the more the blade can deflect when subjected to the same force. Also, tape adds a little softness to the support compared to the original hard metal, which allow for a little more deflection, too. Thanks for reminding me, though, about CHATTER. I've written about that before with respect to tape strips. I forgot to mention that in my article. You're right that tape strips increase the curvature and increase the force applied to the cap, making it a little more difficult to deflect the blade down enough and lose contact with the cap. So, we can safely say that tape strips decrease the chances of chatter, but tape strips still decrease blade rigidity.

I'm still struggling with this ... sorry. Is the free end distance increased purely because the tape doesn't go right to the edge? If it goes right to the edge the blade would get more rigid.

OK, bear with me a moment here, and I'll try to put this into words. If you look at your photograph showing your explanation of terminology/nomenclature, and imagine scribing a line on the blade at the start of the free end distance - the very point where the downward pressure from the cap cease. Now imagine a line from that point, perpendicular to the blade plane as it currently sits. If you add material to the underside of the cap, that perpendicular line is the direction the final contact point travels in, assuming the tape goes right to the edge. Determining how that effect relates to where you scribed the line isn't easy - but imagine 5 layers, or ten layers, or 15 layers - the scribed line you drew starts to curls inwards and backwards relative to the perpendicular line.

Obviously it would get to a point where you are supporting with the inner edge of the tape rather than the outer, but not with one or two layers. I am convinced both that point travels inwards and the free end decreases, AND the upwards force due to Hooke's law, both offer additional rigidity to the blade.

Remember also that where the cap distance finishes and the free end distance starts, there is nothing below to clamp it - there is only the spring tension of the blade itself. Also that final point of support is nothing more than a pivot between the blade edge, and the first underside support point. Any deflection that would occur on the free end, would also occur to some extent the other side, because the blade is not actually clamped at the edge of the cap. Therefore rigidity is almost like a torque calculation, force x mean distance from the lower support to the upper support. To illustrate this, invert the image and use a flexible rule to recreate it. Have the flexible rule overhanging a desk, and pin it down with one finger maybe three or four times the distance of the overhang back from the edge. Now push down on the unsupported end. The rule will rise off the desk between the edge of the desk and where you're pinning it down, with the edge of the desk acting like a pivot.

Back to the razor, I believe that both force and distance would increase and rigidity would increase, and even with the blade tensionned behind the extent of the cap, some deflection would occur there if the free end was deflected. More upward spring tension with a shorter free end distance, AND a greater distance from the last underside support point. More force x more distance (between upper and lower supports) = more rigid

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It is important to define the terms "aggressiveness" and "efficiency". Aggressiveness is the ability of a safety razor with blade to cut and irritate skin, while efficiency is the ability of a safety razor with blade to cut hair close to skin. In other words, aggressiveness is the potential for cuts and irritation, especially with bad technique, while efficiency is the potential for getting close shaves, especially with good technique. Aggressiveness and efficiency are distinct concepts, even though razors are often labeled on a single scale from very "mild" to very "aggressive", and yet, aggressiveness and efficiency are related.

I think you've pretty much nailed the explanation. Certainly its more complex but in general I dont think it could really be explained any better.

Your entire post was a lot of work and it is appreciated. Good job!

I think the biggest contributor to aggressiveness is still the blade exposure.

See the pics below of my NEW SC and my Fatip Grande.

NEW SC on the left, Grande on the right.

IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2111.jpg
NEWSC.JPG IMG_2182.JPG

I feel that because of the gap of the NEW SC combined with the guard span is a more aggressive razor than the Fatip Grande.

If the lather is lacking slickness, you apply to much pressure or you shave too fast that razor will bite and neatly plane off any high spots you create from the skin bunching up in the gap. Outside of that, I've personally found the gap causing me irritation beyond 3 passes because of how my skin travels through that gap and is essentially forced against the blade edge. Increasing gap increases that aggressiveness. Adjustable razors come to mind.

With the Grande there is much less chance of that happening because there is virtually no gap at all, and a very small guard span. I've recently had a 4 pass shave with my Grande and a Kai blade, all done ATG and had no irritation whatsoever.

The NEW SC balances aggression and efficiency very well. The Grande is not the least bit aggressive in use, given the proper angle, but is easily twice as efficient as the NEW SC and never has given me the feeling it was about to bite.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think you've pretty much nailed the explanation. Certainly its more complex but in general I dont think it could really be explained any better.

See the pics below of my NEW SC and my Fatip Grande.

NEW SC on the left, Grande on the right.

View attachment 839415 View attachment 839414
View attachment 839418 View attachment 839416

I feel that because of the gap of the NEW SC combined with the guard span is a more aggressive razor than the Fatip Grande.

If the lather is lacking slickness, you apply to much pressure or you shave too fast that razor will bite and neatly plane off any high spots you create from the skin bunching up in the gap. Outside of that, I've personally found the gap causing me irritation beyond 3 passes because of how my skin travels through that gap and is essentially forced against the blade edge. Increasing gap increases that aggressiveness. Adjustable razors come to mind.

With the Grande there is much less chance of that happening because there is virtually no gap at all, and a very small guard span. I've recently had a 4 pass shave with my Grande and a Kai blade, all done ATG and had no irritation whatsoever.

The NEW SC balances aggression and efficiency very well. The Grande is not the least bit aggressive in use, given the proper angle, but is easily twice as efficient as the NEW SC and never has given me the feeling it was about to bite.

Thanks for those pics and explanation. I can see what you mean about the aggression of the SC. It's good to see these images of other people's razors so I can understand their perspective's better. I only have four DE razors, and it seems that three of those are ones that nobody else on here wants to touch with a bargepole :lol:

Thanks, Mike! :001_smile I appreciate it. I'm open to improvement, but on the whole, the concept of aggressiveness does have to do with getting "bitten" and irritated while the concept of efficiency has to do with the closeness of the shave. If there is a way to explain it better, I'd like to use it.

Good pics and discussion, too, by the way. :thumbup1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for those pics and explanation. I can see what you mean about the aggression of the SC. It's good to see these images of other people's razors so I can understand their perspective's better. I only have four DE razors, and it seems that three of those are ones that nobody else on here wants to touch with a bargepole :lol:

I dont mean to imply the NEW SC is an aggressive razor. It really isnt, but it is a more aggressive razor than the Grande in my opinion and yet less efficient.

The Muhle R41 and possibly the Ikon Tech I'd call top of the heap as far as aggressive goes.

I have 6 DE's, but I'm down to using one. You can guess which one. :) lol

Thanks, Mike! :001_smile I appreciate it. I'm open to improvement, but on the whole, the concept of aggressiveness does have to do with getting "bitten" and irritated while the concept of efficiency has to do with the closeness of the shave. If there is a way to explain it better, I'd like to use it.

Good pics and discussion, too, by the way. :thumbup1:

I'm really not sure how to put it into words, or pictures for that matter. Its best discovered in a practical sense.

Think of a Fatboy or Slim opened up, compared to a post war Tech and compared again to a Fatip OC head. Thats a progression from quite aggressive down to not very aggressive and then not aggressive at all in my opinion. The only variance being gap and guard span.

Now factor in blade exposure the Fatip OC heads offer, and efficiency just rose a great deal and yet the feel of the shave itself has become much smoother and more safe.

See my post war tech, NEW SC and Grande again.

IMG_2181.JPG NEWSC.JPG IMG_2182.JPG

If I was to load all with a Polsilver blade, for the same BBS finish the Tech would take me 5-6 passes, the NEW SC 2 1/2 and the Grande 1 and a very light clean up that I cant even call a 1/2 pass.

As far as face feel, the Tech and NEW SC feel about the same, the Tech being a slightly easier shave as it has slightly less gap and guard span distance.

The Grande by comparison, feels far less aggressive than even the Tech and is 5 times as efficient and has yet less gap and a shorter guard span than the Tech.

I do have one razor that I call aggressive, or perhaps more aggressive than others I own. Some may disagree, but my 1940 Gillette Regent has even more blade exposure and combined with the effective guard span can make it a very interesting shave. It reminds you quickly that technique is very important.

Regent.jpg

That razor with a Polsilver gives me the same 2 1/2 pass BBS shave as the NEW SC, but it feels much more aggressive while being equal in efficiency. The NEW SC is an easier shave because it never gives the sensation that it will peel your skin like an apple.

I'm still struggling with this ... sorry. Is the free end distance increased purely because the tape doesn't go right to the edge? If it goes right to the edge the blade would get more rigid.

OK, bear with me a moment here, and I'll try to put this into words. If you look at your photograph showing your explanation of terminology/nomenclature, and imagine scribing a line on the blade at the start of the free end distance - the very point where the downward pressure from the cap cease. Now imagine a line from that point, perpendicular to the blade plane as it currently sits. If you add material to the underside of the cap, that perpendicular line is the direction the final contact point travels in, assuming the tape goes right to the edge. Determining how that effect relates to where you scribed the line isn't easy - but imagine 5 layers, or ten layers, or 15 layers - the scribed line you drew starts to curls inwards and backwards relative to the perpendicular line.

Obviously it would get to a point where you are supporting with the inner edge of the tape rather than the outer, but not with one or two layers. I am convinced both that point travels inwards and the free end decreases, AND the upwards force due to Hooke's law, both offer additional rigidity to the blade.

Remember also that where the cap distance finishes and the free end distance starts, there is nothing below to clamp it - there is only the spring tension of the blade itself. Also that final point of support is nothing more than a pivot between the blade edge, and the first underside support point. Any deflection that would occur on the free end, would also occur to some extent the other side, because the blade is not actually clamped at the edge of the cap. Therefore rigidity is almost like a torque calculation, force x mean distance from the lower support to the upper support. To illustrate this, invert the image and use a flexible rule to recreate it. Have the flexible rule overhanging a desk, and pin it down with one finger maybe three or four times the distance of the overhang back from the edge. Now push down on the unsupported end. The rule will rise off the desk between the edge of the desk and where you're pinning it down, with the edge of the desk acting like a pivot.

Back to the razor, I believe that both force and distance would increase and rigidity would increase, and even with the blade tensionned behind the extent of the cap, some deflection would occur there if the free end was deflected. More upward spring tension with a shorter free end distance, AND a greater distance from the last underside support point. More force x more distance (between upper and lower supports) = more rigid

It is possible that blade rigidity could increase, and I will edit the text accordingly, so thanks about that. I was very definitive in stating that blade rigidity would decrease. It might not. It might increase. However, in normal circumstances, it is likely that blade rigidity would decrease:

1. The effective free-end distance will usually increase or be very similar when someone adds a normal strip or two of tape under the cap. Tape could theoretically be added in such a way to make the effective pivot point move significantly farther out, but that type of modification is abnormal and beyond the guidance. Also, there is the real possibility of making tape strips too wide, further shifting the effective contact point farther inside the razor, increasing the free-end distance. (I learned this a long time ago through experience and learned to make my tape strips "thin" rather than relatively "wide", but it's been so long that I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to add something about that.)

2. Tape increases the curvature of the blade from the cap contact point towards the inside of the razor, however small the curvature change would normally be. This would probably make chatter a little less likely. However, the free end of the blade from the cutting edge to the cap contact would still be a free end. Assuming that there is no chatter, that the contact between the blade and cap is maintained, a force pushing down on the cutting edge would cause a certain amount of deflection at the edge of the free end with relatively very little deflection changes inside the razor. If the tape under the cap edge causes a longer free end, which is very likely, then it is easier to deflect the free end. The same force will cause more deflection at the edge of the free end. The blade rigidity would be decreased.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I dont mean to imply the NEW SC is an aggressive razor. It really isnt, but it is a more aggressive razor than the Grande in my opinion and yet less efficient.

The Muhle R41 and possibly the Ikon Tech I'd call top of the heap as far as aggressive goes.

I'm really not sure how to put it into words, or pictures for that matter. Its best discovered in a practical sense.

Think of a Fatboy or Slim opened up, compared to a post war Tech and compared again to a Fatip OC head. Thats a progression from quite aggressive down to not very aggressive and then not aggressive at all in my opinion. The only variance being gap and guard span.

Now factor in blade exposure the Fatip OC heads offer, and efficiency just rose a great deal and yet the feel of the shave itself has become much smoother and more safe.

View attachment 839451 View attachment 839453 View attachment 839452

If I was to load all with a Polsilver blade, for the same BBS finish the Tech would take me 5-6 passes, the NEW SC 2 1/2 and the Grande 1 and a very light clean up that I cant even call a 1/2 pass.

As far as face feel, the Tech and NEW SC feel about the same, the Tech being a slightly easier shave as it has slightly less gap and guard span distance.

The Grande by comparison, feels far less aggressive than even the Tech and is 5 times as efficient and has yet less gap and a shorter guard span than the Tech.

I do have one razor that I call aggressive, or perhaps more aggressive than others I own. Some may disagree, but my 1940 Gillette Regent has even more blade exposure and combined with the effective guard span can make it a very interesting shave. It reminds you quickly that technique is very important.

View attachment 839456

That razor with a Polsilver gives me the same 2 1/2 pass BBS shave as the NEW SC, but it feels much more aggressive while being equal in efficiency. The NEW SC is an easier shave because it never gives the sensation that it will peel your skin like an apple.

It might be trick of the eye, but the Grande seems to offer a much shallower angle, which might explain why some folks seem to recommend using it steeply, to take some of the shallowness back out. Comb riding with the Grande would still be a shallower angle than cap riding the Tech. That is a significant comparison element by itself.

Also, the Grande (judging purely from the pictures, as I haven't seen any of these in the flesh) has by far the best blade rigidity. It appears the Grande truly clamps the blade towards the free end, rather than just relying on spring tension. Whatever other factors Grant (SBTN) might be judging rigidity by - this wins! Hands down!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It is possible that blade rigidity could increase, and I will edit the text accordingly, so thanks about that. I was very definitive in stating that blade rigidity would decrease. It might not. It might increase. However, in normal circumstances, it is likely that blade rigidity would decrease:

1. The effective free-end distance will usually increase or be very similar when someone adds a normal strip or two of tape under the cap. Tape could theoretically be added in such a way to make the effective pivot point move significantly farther out, but that type of modification is abnormal and beyond the guidance. Also, there is the real possibility of making tape strips too wide, further shifting the effective contact point farther inside the razor, increasing the free-end distance. (I learned this a long time ago through experience and learned to make my tape strips "thin" rather than relatively "wide", but it's been so long that I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to add something about that.)

2. Tape increases the curvature of the blade from the cap contact point towards the inside of the razor, however small the curvature change would normally be. This would probably make chatter a little less likely. However, the free end of the blade from the cutting edge to the cap contact would still be a free end. Assuming that there is no chatter, that the contact between the blade and cap is maintained, a force pushing down on the cutting edge would cause a certain amount of deflection at the edge of the free end with relatively very little deflection changes inside the razor. If the tape under the cap edge causes a longer free end, which is very likely, then it is easier to deflect the free end. The same force will cause more deflection at the edge of the free end. The blade rigidity would be decreased.

If you're confident in the outcome buddy, that's fine with me. I just didn't want you having a facepalm moment further down the line. :) I'm glad something useful came out of my free flowing gibber :lol:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It might be trick of the eye, but the Grande seems to offer a much shallower angle, which might explain why some folks seem to recommend using it steeply, to take some of the shallowness back out. Comb riding with the Grande would still be a shallower angle than cap riding the Tech. That is a significant comparison element by itself.

Also, the Grande (judging purely from the pictures, as I haven't seen any of these in the flesh) has by far the best blade rigidity. It appears the Grande truly clamps the blade towards the free end, rather than just relying on spring tension. Whatever other factors Grant (SBTN) might be judging rigidity by - this wins! Hands down!

Fatip heads are inherently a shallow angle yes. I use mine at a neutral angle or even shallower for 80% of my shave. I steepen the angle only slightly on my harder to BBS areas. My jawline, points of my chin and just below my bottom lip.

A small change in user angle results in a drastic change in feel and effectiveness.

They are extremely rigid and other than a Gillette OLD type, NEW SC and Wolfman WR1, I'm not sure there is a more rigid design. That to me equates to smoothness of the shave. This is why I think of it much like a straight razor, because when I use it I'm really just using the cutting edge of the blade and the cap and comb as a guide to feel the correct angle for me. Its like a straight razor with training wheels.

I'm now thinking of two strips of tape on the underside of the cap to increase that rigidity and at the same time giving it an even shallower angle.

That may be something I experiment with but its such a fantastic shaver now I'm really happy with it as is lol.

Blade rigidity is something that could be measured with the proper equipment. A dial indicator with a magnetic base could measure the blade flex, but I'm not sure how to measure the pressure applied.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You'd need a DTI on one side, and a load cell on the other. Measure the force needed to effect a standard distance of deflection. You're getting very scientific there though :D

I'm not sure tape would benefit the rigidity of the Grande, as it's already directly clamped. Also, because the blade is so well supported underneath, the blade hasn't got anywhere to be pushed to. It kind of screws up Grant's table, because there isn't the void beneath the blade for it to be directed into ...

View attachment 839451 View attachment 839453 View attachment 839452

View attachment 839456

I think that I get what you're saying, Mike. It's good that we're using the same terminology. I don't know if this has ever been shown before, but I just make a picture to help show what I'm thinking. I think that more guard span leads to more "effective blade angle" due to the skin bunching up more in front of the blade, which increases the aggressiveness and decreases the efficiency. Here is the picture:

upload_2017-11-22_21-25-31.png

What do you think?

If you're confident in the outcome buddy, that's fine with me. I just didn't want you having a facepalm moment further down the line. :) I'm glad something useful came out of my free flowing gibber :lol:

Your feedback has really helped, Al. Thank you! My to-do list for the razor modification page has gotten larger. Seriously. You should see the file. :laugh:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Change effective blade angle comment to "larger relative angle" so that people don't misread More Effective Blade Angle as better performer ...

... otherwise ... :thumbup:

Top Bottom