What's new

Modern Filarmonica

As we reach the end of the year, I keep thinking about trying to find a first or second generation Filarmonica 13 or 14 next year. But finding one in good condition at a fair price seems like no small feat, so...

Are there any great modern razors with some of the characteristics that make the Filarmonicas so great - like the grind?
Considering how popular the Filarmonicas are, it's hard to believe that there aren't more modern choices.

I truly enjoy using the big Wacker razors, and have only used a 6/8 Ralf Aust. I also have a Koraat 14 2.0.

They are wonderful tools and great shavers, but they just don’t measure up to my 1st and 2nd Generation Filarmonica 14 razors. They do compete well, but I just like my Filarmonica razors better...they hone easily, the grinds are amazing, and my face likes them.

I also have a Henckels Zwillingswerk 14 and a Guillermo Hoope 14. I prefer these as well over my modern razors.

So to answer the main question...I have not found a modern razor that I enjoy using as much as the old Spanish and German 14s.

Here are some comparison pictures of old Spanish blades vs the new Koraat 14 2.0 (the Koraat is an awesome razor).

Vr

Matt

B7F36C49-6509-4AD8-9B41-DA61B4363B65.jpeg
80D6C1B7-BDA1-4340-B374-1652199EAE10.jpeg
0CCE3260-69B8-4AE5-B83A-532671751150.jpeg
5538F759-F65D-4729-A5BC-B997638097CA.jpeg

Yes...I would agree with that.

If you want a slightly smaller razor, I have two 13/16 Dubl Duck Goldedge razors. They are absolutely top tier shavers, and have perfectly ground full hollow blades. They can usually be found for much less than a minty Filarmonica 14 from the 1st or 2nd Generation.

Vr

Matt

If you want a slightly smaller razor, I have two 13/16 Dubl Duck Goldedge razors. They are absolutely top tier shavers, and have perfectly ground full hollow blades. They can usually be found for much less than a minty Filarmonica 14 from the 1st or 2nd Generation.

Thanks for that! I will definitely keep a lookout for a 13/16 Dubl Duck Goldedge.

It sounds like if I want a Filarmonica, I need to find the real deal.

besides just being a truly high quality piece...........they are a sheer delight to hone. you will find no defects or irregularities with the work. flat as pancakes on the stones.

a user grade specimen is nothing to scoff at........and while they may not be a case queen, they still shave the same!!!!

camo

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not many modern custom makers can grind a 14 razor as thin as a Filly 14. Koraat is not currently taking orders I believe, but probably will when he catches up on orders. The 7/8 Aust would likely be a good choice in available razors.

User grade Filly 14s in good condition at a lower price point do happen but are rare, so if low price is a must, you might be looking for a year or three. Look for the Doble Temple, the Sub Cero and Novodur will bring considerably more money.

user grade specimen is nothing to scoff at........and while they may not be a case queen, they still shave the same!!!!
Fully agree!

If it's a good shave you are after, there are perfectly serviceable Fili 14's available for round about the $150 mark.

When considering one, look for a rust-free edge, no chips and minimum hone wear.

I have two Sub Cero's and one Doble Temple and can't fault them on their performance. Looks-wise, one is restored and shiny clean, the other two are OK. None of them have perfect gilding left, and the scales .... well love them or hate them, I just think they are not near reflecting the quality of the blade, but that's Filarmonica.

I have a Friodur 17, same dimensions, not quite as thin as a 14. it's a phenomenal razor.

that 14 blank was ground by several makers back when. there may be similar (close to the thinness), vintage blades at lower prices. I've got this from my dad's cousin who bought it new in Spain, early 70s. it's identical to my Fili 14 in performance. and the only one I've ever seen. Doc226 too.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 66
At the risk of angering the gods of delivery/shipping, I scored a second generation Filarmonica 12 in remarkably good condition for less than $100 yesterday evening that is now in transit. I did not see it coming, but I was ready to pounce when the opportunity knocked.

I have been reading more about Filarmonicas and there is very little discussion about the different points they used. It looks like the majority of Filarmonicas have square points with slightly rounded corners, and a minority have round points. But the square points have a very distinctive top corner containing a short line that forms an about 135 degree angle with the spine. My guess is this was to protect the shaver from accidentally cutting themselves with the top corner - pretty ingenious if you ask me. And you can spot the Filarmonica square point from a mile away.

What is strange to me is that based on how much people love their Filis that no other manufacturers have mimicked this point (pardon the pun). And having cut myself with the top corner of a square point, I still get nervous when I see a photo of a TI with a square point.

I was thinking about it as well, and I assume it has to do with the steel, the equipment, the skill, the time, and business models.

I primarily use the first generation Filarmonicas, and when they were produced more men used straight razors. To meet the demand Filarmonica must have had more than two or three master grinders that could skillfully grind a huge full hollow blade to the thinness of a thick human hair fairly quickly. I assume it took time to teach and time to learn this skill, and that many many blades were ruined along the way.

I am sure one, two, three man shops today do not have the time to truly learn how to do this, nor do they have the raw materials to ruin blade after blade after blade trying to perfect it!

I also suspect the grinding equipment used for these old Filarmonicas is not very prevalent in the US, the UK, Latvia, Austria, etc....wherever the custom razors are being made these days.

The steel is another issue...who the hell knows what the Spanish were using...I have heard/read many theories...German blanks, old Muslim steel, etc etc...I assume the steel has to have some special blend of elements to be able to be forged, ground so thinly, hone so easily, and hold an edge so well.

It really is mind blowing to me. I consider myself very lucky to have a few of these old blades. I used a 1st Generation Filarmonica 14 Especial this morning, and it’s an AMAZING shaver! One the blessing I am grateful for on this Thanksgiving!

Vr

Matt
3F288350-8B23-456A-B238-64FEFDE74F84.jpeg
863D3F84-ACA4-47FC-92BA-FCC52087567D.jpeg
6699B26E-5F4D-441A-95EE-2591DEF3C7C9.jpeg

I suspect that you are right, @Matt O. For all we know, the majority of the first and second generation Filarmonicas were the work of a very small number of absolute masters whose names we may never know.

They had to be masters to get the full hollow and extra full hollow grinds! It had to be the same for the big German 14s, and Dubl Ducks. I have a Henckels Guillermo Hoope 14 and two 13/16 Dubl Ducks that give my Filarmonicas a run for their money.

However, the Filarmonica 14s are at the apex of the pyramid in my opinion.

I bet the Koraat gent could get a grind that rivals the old 14s based off of what I see on my Koraat 14 2.0, but it’s a razor with smaller dimensions.

Vr

Matt

Here is the JMP IMPERIAL 14’s grind.

It is so fine and thin, I had to move it slightly to one side to take a photograph with my phone. After I set the bevel on it this evening, I did the grape test, and even though I was being as gentle as possible, I caught the skin of the grape after a touching slice, and it sang! I am looking forward to the shave test on Saturday or Sunday. This blade might rival the extra hollow grind on my Filarmonica 14 Salamanca!

DFD2626E-899C-48A4-816F-D35D2F6CA270.jpeg

F8678111-FF1C-448D-A9AB-AE4328C98FAC.jpeg

I received the model 12, and after a little 0000 steel wool, mineral oil and dental floss the razor looks remarkedly good to me. A few superficial scratches, and a small amount of wear on the spine, but the razor still has an edge that tree tops hair on my arm. My next step is try to bring the edge back on my Naniwa 12k (and if necessary, my Shapton 8k) using 1 mil Kapton tape. As much as I love running au naturale, I don't trust myself enough yet to try to bring the edge back without a little protection.

20201129_181853703_iOS.jpg

20201129_181841058_iOS.jpg

20201129_181829648_iOS.jpg

Top Bottom