What's new

Modern Filarmonica

Now I get it! The Filarmonica shaves like a dream, and that's with a far-from-perfect finish. Whoever ground this razor was/is an absolute master. And, for the record, my new TI is no slouch.
Yeah, it didn't make sense to me why a lot of guys were willing to part with a pile of cash for an old sliver of steel that doesn't even always look great. That's until I bought my first Fili.

I agree with Biltong. If you maintain the blade with leather and occasional balsa/diamond, you may never need to hone. From my work with machinery, I have always known that maintenance is much more important than purchasing or repairing. Good luck with that Fili!

So I gently put the shaves-like-a-dream edge on my Shapton 8k followed by my Naniwa 12k, and the edge is now very smooth except for three microscopic/itsy-bitsy chips in the toe that don't seem to affect its performance, so I am declaring victory and just going to just enjoy the razor, and assume that the chips will gradually go away with future hones. And I could not be happier with the razor!

I truly enjoy using the big Wacker razors, and have only used a 6/8 Ralf Aust. I also have a Koraat 14 2.0.

I had not been paying much attention to the Wacker, but I now see that Wacker makes a 7/8 inch razor with a single shoulder and Spanish point that looks pretty darn nice, ticking all of my boxes.

Can you say anything about the grind on the Wacker? Is it thin?

I had not been paying much attention to the Wacker, but I now see that Wacker makes a 7/8 inch razor with a single shoulder and Spanish point that looks pretty darn nice, ticking all of my boxes.

Can you say anything about the grind on the Wacker? Is it thin?

The ones I have take a great edge and are a symmetrical hollow. They provide audible feedback, and a close comfortable shave. However, the hollow grinds aren’t quite as extreme as some of the 14s I have, and they don’t sing quite the same.

I do love my Wacker razors...especially the Old Sheffield ones.

Vr

Matt

As we reach the end of the year, I keep thinking about trying to find a first or second generation Filarmonica 13 or 14 next year. But finding one in good condition at a fair price seems like no small feat, so...

Are there any great modern razors with some of the characteristics that make the Filarmonicas so great - like the grind?
Considering how popular the Filarmonicas are, it's hard to believe that there aren't more modern choices.
Not only Koraat 14-2, but also the Purist model razors are based on Fili 14. You can have any Koraat customized, as they are all hand made (except the blanks). Basically, you can have the grind in any size/profile from true wedge to ultra hollow. You can opt to have the stabilizer or not.

I'd suggest writing an email to Ulrich (the owner) or contacting him via his FB page, as there are more options available than listed on their website.

Dear fellow Filarmonica owners, I need some information or maybe verification even.

I have a 14 Sub Cero.
The problem is that the scale is fairly loose.
There aren't any side to side play, so I think there aren't any huge mechanical problems with washers or pin.

The lightness and flimsy scale juxtaposed by heavy and extremely sharp blade, I'm always on the edge when dealing with this razor. I have to pay attention just putting it down on the table so it doesn't fling open and cut me or damage the edge.

I'm wondering if this is the case with many other filarmonica 14's. If it is, then I'm just going to be careful and leave it be.
But if mine's just loose, is there a way to fix it? I don't have a peening hammer but maybe I can rig something up and lightly tap the pin head?

edit: For context, mine looks almost exactly like Matt O's sub cero on the first page without the center pin.

Sounds like it just needs a bit of tightening. A large spoon and a bunch of taps works as well as a peening hammer if one isn’t handy. You will need to have the bottom of the pin on a very solid surface such as a vice or anvil. I use a jewelers block myself.

Dear fellow Filarmonica owners, I need some information or maybe verification even.

I have a 14 Sub Cero.
The problem is that the scale is fairly loose.
There aren't any side to side play, so I think there aren't any huge mechanical problems with washers or pin.

The lightness and flimsy scale juxtaposed by heavy and extremely sharp blade, I'm always on the edge when dealing with this razor. I have to pay attention just putting it down on the table so it doesn't fling open and cut me or damage the edge.

I'm wondering if this is the case with many other filarmonica 14's. If it is, then I'm just going to be careful and leave it be.
But if mine's just loose, is there a way to fix it? I don't have a peening hammer but maybe I can rig something up and lightly tap the pin head?

edit: For context, mine looks almost exactly like Matt O's sub cero on the first page without the center pin.

Any hammer will work if you are gentle. Very light taps, check often till you are happy.
100 light taps are better than a few heavy ones. Too hard and you will bend the pin instead of mushrooming it.

I just used my 10lb dumb bell plate as the anvil and a 2.5 lb plate as the hammer and tapped it maybe 20 times lightly.
It is very snug now. Tad bit too snug. I'll just drop some nano-oil at the joint and and I'm sure it'll loosen over time.
It is SO MUCH BETTER than before with the scale just flying around everywhere.
I should have asked here 5 years ago and just done this sooner.

Thanks life2short1971 and stone and strop for your kind advices.

I just used my 10lb dumb bell plate as the anvil and a 2.5 lb plate as the hammer and tapped it maybe 20 times lightly.
It is very snug now. Tad bit too snug. I'll just drop some nano-oil at the joint and and I'm sure it'll loosen over time.
It is SO MUCH BETTER than before with the scale just flying around everywhere.
I should have asked here 5 years ago and just done this sooner.

Thanks life2short1971 and stone and strop for your kind advices.

That's a BIG hammer, Hopefully you didn't over do it. You can end up with a crack in the scale if its too tight.
Glad it is better for you.

I also use a weight plate from my dumbbell set. I usually pile up three plates. I have a jeweler's ball peen hammer but I understand a tablespoon will work well. Tapping should be light; like you would do with your finger. Light tapping worked well for me.

I used very light taps as per your instructions. :thumbup1:
What I just realized also was how much easier and smoother it was to strop!
It feels really miserable trying to strop a razor with very loose scales and the difference was like night and day.
Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom