Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: La Toja Classic

A relaxing shave. :biggrin:

All is well in ZenShaveLand.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thats a lovely set up @JAHE , makes me itch to shave tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you guys presoak your misturas for? I usually ~5 mins? Because it has the boar in it... but theres no timing or anything, I just soak it right when I get to the sink, the go about my face prep, get my soap etc etc and I get to my brush whenever I do.

Thats a lovely set up @JAHE , makes me itch to shave tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you guys presoak your misturas for? I usually ~5 mins? Because it has the boar in it... but theres no timing or anything, I just soak it right when I get to the sink, the go about my face prep, get my soap etc etc and I get to my brush whenever I do.
I soak mine for the length of my shower or about two minutes if not showering immediately before I shave. At some point someone here or on one of the forums did a test and found that after two minutes, even large 100% boar brushes are fully saturated. I go with that as a guide.

After today's shave, I'm sold on SOC exclusivity. I'm for sure parting with the BC even. The SOC knot is just perfectly matched to my preferences and lathering style. That said, tomorrow I'll use the Torga C3, and I'll probably keep it in a two-brush rotation until I can pick up another SOC. Amazing brushes.

Thought I'd share a shot of two more misturas from the archives. On the left is a Vulfix Grovsenor that was on the market around ten years ago, and on the right, a VP Leonhardy that TSS was selling around five years ago. I used the Vulfix with the soft Acqua soap to shave today and it worked fine with face-lathering. Completely broken-in of course after quite a bit of use back in the day. The knot is sort of old-school in being narrower and shorter, and especially in the sense that the outer bristles are shorter than the rest, in keeping with earlier blends. It had a reputation of being a shedder, but I think this may also have to do with how one dries the brush after shaving. Squeezing and shaking off standing water from the knot, followed by brushing on a towel and standing the brush on its handle end seems to do the trick. The VP Leonhardy is really the scritch-master; it seems that all the tips were clipped as sent from the factory. I would only recommend this one for face-lathering if the skin on your neck is like that of a rhinoceros or an elephant, or if you want to bring your eyes to tears in the process. That said, it has an incredible backbone that's great for palm- or bowl-lathering. Also great for coating a straight-razor strop with lather as part of an occasional cleaning process.

Vulfix-and-VP-Mixed-Badger-Boar-Brushes.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to suspend MMM for today's shave. Today is Fathers Day in Germany and my kids gifted me this awesome & classy looking boar brush (they had a little bit of support by Mrs JAHE and the german 'bay :blush:). What a great and totally unexpected surprise!

So - no question - I'll shave with the 1305 today...:001_wub:

View attachment 1265894
That looks well worth a break from MMM. Lovely gesture from your family, and the 1305 is a fantastic brush. Enjoy!

I used the Torga C3 this morning. I love this thing. I took the BC out of rotation to sell, but I don't see getting rid of this, much as I dig the SOC. The 22mm knot is different in feel, firmer and scrubbier, but its tips are unbelievably soft. For those inclined toward slightly smaller brushes, this has got to be the best value going. It's pure luxury in a compact package. Obviously I know there are guys who like 19-20mm brushes, and for them, I hope there's a Torga C1 eventually, but man, the C3 is a world-class shave brush and definitely feels much smaller than the 24mm SOC. It's really lovely to use.

MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-B_2021-05-13.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget 22/48
Cream: La Toja Classic
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: La Toja Classic

Another fine shave. :biggrin:

I think a change is needed; I'm getting too comfortable with the current setup.
But hey! That was my 40th shave with the Mixed Scritchet. I do think the scritch has reduced some. So next shave I'll bring the wonderful Semogue Mistura back into the team, and that'll let me know if the Midget's scritch reduction was real...
or just in my mind. :letterk1:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom