What's new

Missouri Meerschaum in your regular rotation?

I first started pipe smoking with a Missouri Meerchaum corn cob pipe.It was a good smoker, but I burned it out eventually, replacing it with a basket briar which served me well for the most part.

In the beginning of July I went to an old general store in the sticks of NH that had the old corn-cob wall display of pipes... good ol' MM's. But there were two that were not cobs, but hardwoods... one had basically the same dimensions as a cob for like $7, and the other was a short nose-warmer for like $3 or $4. I piked up the hardwoods because I prefered the aesthetic over the cobs, and I had never seen them before. I still haven't used the little pipe yet, but the big MM hardwood is in my daily rotation.

Also, using a pipe with the filter in it is nice to soak up all that icky bacci juice that gurgles in the briar. I didn't think I'd appreciate the filter but it's nice, and doesn't affect the flavor of the smoke, in my opinion.

Granted my briar is low end, I still like the solid feel of it, and it's a decent smoker. But I find I get bigger, smoother pulls through the MM. It's just easier to smoke through, and no gurgling is nice too. But it definitely doesn't feel very solid, it has kind of a 'disposable pen' feel to it. I still enjoy it every day though.

At any rate, does anyone else have Missouri Meerchaum's in their daily rotation or is it just me?:thumbup:

Yep, I reach for my 2 CG's just as much if not more than my briars. I really have no particular reason why, I just do.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 115

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I love my cobs...add a forever stem and it loses that Bic pen feel :).

I've got one in my office rack, one at the apartment, and a couple down at the house. They see regular use for now, but as I add more pipes they are likely to be set aside. Living in farming communities in Iowa I am kind of sensitive to the hick image projected by a corn cob pipe, thus am eager to get rid of them. After getting serious about my pipes they seemed like an economical way to quickly add to the pipes in rotation, but I'm now of the mind that my rotation at each site is large enough and I no longer need to build up quantity, but rather backfill with quality pipes.

I guess it would be a quick way to get a nice rotation of pipes fast and cheap; 5 pipes would be like $30ish which would be about the same cost as my basket pipe was.

I do feel a similar way about the aesthetic of the corn cob pipe... being a tall, portly man, I am pretty sure with my first cob pipe I inspired people to address me with "jolly old" before my name. Blegh! But the MM I found was the 'hardwood' one, so it's a cherry stain colored wood pipe and not a cob. It looks decent though is super lightweight by comparison to the briar.

I guess it would be a quick way to get a nice rotation of pipes fast and cheap; 5 pipes would be like $30ish which would be about the same cost as my basket pipe was.
Actually, the MM factory site has a grab bag of approximately 10 factory seconds, for $29.95. That would be a way to fill out your rotation very quickly. It doesn't get cheaper than that. I thought about it myself, but as you point out that's the cost of a basket pipe or a big chunk of the way towards an even better pipe.

I have a handful of wood bottomed cobs that I smoke regularly. They're what I reach for when I'm in the shop or the yard as once fully broken in they smoke decent and I don't worry about minor damage from getting dropped or banged around. I've been smoking some of them for years without replacement but I think my briars and meers smoke better and are my first choice for around the house or out around town.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I smoke Grousemoor it is in a cob. It has a unique taste that probably should have its own dedicated pipe.

In the beginning of July I went to an old general store in the sticks of NH that had the old corn-cob wall display of pipes... good ol' MM's. But there were two that were not cobs, but hardwoods... one had basically the same dimensions as a cob for like $7, and the other was a short nose-warmer for like $3 or $4. I piked up the hardwoods because I prefered the aesthetic over the cobs, and I had never seen them before. I still haven't used the little pipe yet, but the big MM hardwood is in my daily rotation.
I stopped by David's Briar Shop in Des Moines today. They have the wooden mini-MM pipes as well as the regular cob nose warmers. I probably should stock up on the tiny pipes at the office to keep smoke breaks short, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It just brings back too many memories of my misspent youth...

Top Bottom