What's new

Meerschaum

After seeing some very nice Meerschaum pipes in th PotD thread, I am intrigued, and worried that I may be missing out. Of course, I know nothing about the pipes, other than some guides I have read regarding use and care.

I may want to add one to my rotation, but have no idea what to look for, in either new or pre-owned pipes. For example:

What is the difference between a $50 and $300 pipe?...the maker/carver?

Are all meerschaum pipes created equal?...(assuming it is real meerschaum)

Are there fakes?...(not actual meerschaum)

I'm not super fussy about brand, and get just as much satisfaction smoking my $8 cobs as when smoking my most expensive briar pipe, which is still modestly priced. Nor do I need an intricately carved example.

Can I get a true Meerschaum experience with a new, inexpensive pipe, or would that be a bad representation?

Lastly, any tips on buying a pre-owned pipe is appreciated.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
After seeing some very nice Meerschaum pipes in th PotD thread, I am intrigued, and worried that I may be missing out. Of course, I know nothing about the pipes, other than some guides I have read regarding use and care.

I may want to add one to my rotation, but have no idea what to look for, in either new or pre-owned pipes. For example:

What is the difference between a $50 and $300 pipe?...the maker/carver?
Material, brandname, and a particular maker may cause a major difference in prices.
Are all meerschaum pipes created equal?...(assuming it is real meerschaum)

Are there fakes?...(not actual meerschaum)
There are "block meerschaum" pipes, carved from a solid block of meerschaum, and there are pipes made from reconstituted meerschaum.
Block meerschaum is the material that has the qualities which have made meerschaum pipes world famous.
There are undoubtedly some "fakes" out there not that I have heard of any particular cases, but the biggest issue is going to be ensuring you get block meerschaum.
Further, that the block was properly cured/dried.
Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer rather than say etsy or something.
eBay has some good buys, but it's really a gamble unless you really know what to look out for.
I'm not super fussy about brand, and get just as much satisfaction smoking my $8 cobs as when smoking my most expensive briar pipe, which is still modestly priced. Nor do I need an intricately carved example.

Can I get a true Meerschaum experience with a new, inexpensive pipe, or would that be a bad representation?

Lastly, any tips on buying a pre-owned pipe is appreciated.
Pre-owned - You can't clean meerschaum pipes like you can a briar.
Alcohol is an absolute no-no. Water is bad for meerschaum because meerschaum is a kind of clay-like material that absorbs moisture and when wet it becomes soft and can be very easily damaged.

What kind of design are you looking at? Does any particular carved idea come to your mind when you consider getting one?

For a plain-Jane, I gravitate towards a bent egg/billiard. If I go ornate I would likely look for a dragon claw/egg.

I also noticed some pipes at Smoking Pipes that were dark tan, almost brown. Are these dyed, or are there darker blocks of meerschaum?

...and thanks for the extensive reply.

Since I don't know what I'm looking at, I guess Ebay and etsy are out.

If I do buy from Smoking Pipes or Tobacco Pipes can I assume that the pipe I'm purchasing is not reconstituted?...or will the description indicate such?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For a plain-Jane, I gravitate towards a bent egg/billiard. If I go ornate I would likely look for a dragon claw/egg.

I also noticed some pipes at Smoking Pipes that were dark tan, almost brown. Are these dyed, or are there darker blocks of meerschaum?
There are treated pipes that make it look like they have been smoked. This is an external treatment, and personally - I shy away from those.
Turkish Meerschaum is white.
There are locations in other areas that also have deposits of meerschaum, though not the desired white meerschaum of Turkey.
Tanzania has a very reddish brown meerschaum that was traditionally used as briar pipe bowl liners.

I don't have a Dragon Claw egg, but I do just happen to have an Eagle Claw meerschaum.
20221209_190421.png

20221209_190444.png

I'd be happy to mail this off to you at no charge if you want it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
...and thanks for the extensive reply.

Since I don't know what I'm looking at, I guess Ebay and etsy are out.

If I do buy from Smoking Pipes or Tobacco Pipes can I assume that the pipe I'm purchasing is not reconstituted?...or will the description indicate such?
Look for a reputable dealer who specifically mentions that it is block meerschaum.

There are treated pipes that make it look like they have been smoked. This is an external treatment, and personally - I shy away from those.
Turkish Meerschaum is white.
There are locations in other areas that also have deposits of meerschaum, though not the desired white meerschaum of Turkey.
Tanzania has a very reddish brown meerschaum that was traditionally used as briar pipe bowl liners.

I don't have a Dragon Claw egg, but I do just happen to have an Eagle Claw meerschaum.
View attachment 1569856
View attachment 1569858

I'd be happy to mail this off to you at no charge if you want it.

It's awesome.

I've already gotten so much stuff from you that I feel like a dependent. Let me pay you for it.

You're still doing me a great favor by assuring that I'm not buying a piece of junk on Ebay.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's awesome.

I've already gotten so much stuff from you that I feel like a dependent. Let me pay you for it.

You're still doing me a favor by assuring that I'm not buying a piece of junk on Ebay.
I didn't pay for this pipe, it was donated to me to pass along to others, which is what I intend, in good spirit, to do!
If you want to pitch in on shipping, I'd be happy to accept that, but it isn't necessary.
I don't keep old PM's, so I don't have any addresses - you'll have to re-PM me that.

I didn't pay for this pipe, it was donated to me to pass along to others, which is what I intend, in good spirit, to do!
If you want to pitch in on shipping, I'd be happy to accept that, but it isn't necessary.
I don't keep old PM's, so I don't have any addresses - you'll have to re-PM me that.

Thank you Phil.

I have a few razors I have been want to give away, so I will PIF those to the membership as a karmic exchange.

PM incoming.

Very late in reply but I'm injecting my 2 cents. Smoking pipes.com declares it only sells block Meerschaum, You can't go wrong with brands such as SMS, CAO or if you have the scratch ideally IMP. I suggest that any of those brands will satisfy your Meerschaum curiosity. Meers generally smoke clean and dry and give an accurate flavor profile of the tobacco. They are not to be reamed ever just wipe them good with a paper towel and if cake builds up over say a millimeter use sand paper to take it off. Thick cake will expand and crack your bowl. Meerschaum pipes are generally resistant to ghosting but some Lakeland blends like 1792 would test that claim. I have about six of them in my rotation and I cherish the smoking experience they provide. I think you will like the performance as well.

Top Bottom