What's new

Mission: Steep Revelation

[Content lifted from another thread...but it's mine.]

The RazoRock Mission was the razor that started it all. Well, it's the one that SWMBO got me for Christmas when I first started DE shaving. Truth be told, I (literally) couldn't wait for it to arrive, so I bought a '45 Tech (triangle slots) and Flare Tip at an antique store. The Tech was my first actual shaver, but it's the thought that counts...

Anyway, I wasn't super-stoked with the Mission. However, I know that each razor is different, so I committed to giving it the old college try to see if I could figure out how to get good shaves.

I had a few tiny nicks and missed hairs on the first run, but that could have been because I did only WTG the day before and my skin does best if I get a two-pass shave daily. Unfortunately, the second day of shaving with it was much the same - tiny nicks and areas of inefficiency, coupled with more irritation than I get with my Slim.

I have been using my solid soap/brush combo to give myself the best possible chance at figuring out this razor. I told myself that I would work with it through the month, and if by that milestone we weren't getting along, you could look for it in a May PIF.

In my determination to make friends with the Mission, I tried something very different: steepness. I'm usually a "ride the cap" kind of guy, but when doing some clean-up on my second go with the razor, I found that using a steep angle seemed to be surprisingly efficient and less fraught.

So, for a few days now, I have tried shaving in a way that is antithetical to what I've done (and believed) for the last four years. I keep the handle down, "riding the bar", and it has been a revelation! The result is a closer and less-irritated shave than I've ever had with this razor, even on the wiry-haired, craggy chin area. I may be onto something...

One issue that I find with certain razors - ones that don't hold the blade quite rigidly, like the Mission and most OC razors - is that the blade chatters. On my face, this equals missed hairs, nicks and irritation. I suspect that "riding the bar" keeps the blade from flexing because it has nowhere to go - it's forced against the top cap, even with the very light pressure being used. With a rigid blade comes more efficiency, so I'm going to try this technique with my much-loved but rarely-used razors, like my Old Type thin cap, Aristocrat and NEW LC.

Do you have a razor that gives you trouble when riding the cap? If so, try gently riding the bar (or teeth) and see what happens!

Last edited:
So, for a few days now, I have tried shaving in a way that is antithetical to what I've done (and believed) for the last four years. I keep the handle down, "riding the bar", and it has been a revelation! The result is a closer and less-irritated shave than I've ever had with this razor, even on the wiry-haired, craggy chin area. I may be onto something...
upload_2018-11-21_20-42-28-png.929542

Check out the 2nd WAY (left to right). King Gillette knew his stuff. :punk:

Guard riders unite at the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

Terminology reference diagram:
full

Never even realised there was such a thing as "riding the cap", I've always used the guard. How we are stuck in our habits. I gather in this case that might not be a bad thing...

Good man!! :a14::a14:

The point is that it can take awhile to ‘dial in’ how to get optimal performance from a new razor!!

Top Bottom