Shave-
Razor: Henckels SR
Blade: none
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: LNHC Barber Shoppe

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: LNHC Barber Shoppe

Late morning shave today, because reasons. I did want to mention that the Stirling Alighieri does have a nice scent upon dry down. And I was catching whiffs of it all day yesterday. Today I am back to the Barber Shoppe to put a beat down on it. I have made some progress and I have reached the donut of death. That’s right friends and neighbors, I have a quarter sized hole in the soap. It’s all downhill now.

As I mentioned, a late morning shave and it was nice. This razor has a JNat edge on it and can still deliver a great shave. I am surprised how long I have had this edge and it has held up really well. Some 3 pass shaving goodness happened and I am BBS for the win! That’s how you start a day. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 444 SE: 9 SR: 581)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain Vanilla
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

Same ... same. The donut hole is getting bigger. And Leon’s getting larger.

99C2DB4B-DDF2-443E-8697-CFD6D8749CA1.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 444 SE: 9 SR: 582)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

Same setup again today ... I know you are surprised right? As you can tell from the pic, the boar is just chewing through this soap. Who knows, maybe for grins I will try a Badger tomorrow. But that’s not a reflection of the boar, it has broken in well, has soft tips and does not shed. What’s not to love?

Today’s shave was a bit off, but I can’t put my finger on why. Or maybe I just did. The lather has picked up a grainy type of feel off the puck. But you can work it out while working the lather. I think my edge on the Henckel may be slipping some or it could be me. Or the soap or ... hm. I walked away BBS this morning, but the shave was no longer buttery smooth. It was a bit harsh, so maybe a few passes on the SB are needed. Anyway that’s all I have today. Life is good!

E64B2999-C629-4C0C-9E5B-6FCA6745876B.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 444 SE: 9 SR: 582)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Ralf Aust SR
Brush: APShaveCo Badger
Soap: PAA Porthos

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: PAA Porthos

Early morning shave today. Yup, the Barber Shoppe got passed over for this Black Friday soap. I gave this a sniff test when it came in yesterday and it was strong off the tub. Not sure what scents I was smelling, but I didn’t smell Aramis or Avon Clint. The missus said it was too strong and it stunk. So with that, I had to see if it opened up when lathered. Sniffed it again before lathering and I thought there was a Clint type of scent lingering below the heavier scent. So I hit it for 20 seconds and got to it with the Gelousy knot.

This is the CK1 base, and that is fine by me. I like both the CK1 and CK6 formulas. Broke out the Ralf Aust for this shave. It was a tad harsh the last shave, but no issues this morning. Maybe the extra stropping helped. Anyway three very nice passes and I walked away BBS for the win! I did lose the scent during the shave, but that may have been a nose blind thing. With the 20 second load time, I still had plenty of lather for a post shave lather while I cleaned my shave gear.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a heavy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! It started out with the same strong scent as the soap. Once I had worn it for a bit, the Clint scent came through. I’m gonna give it another run tomorrow to wrap up the week, but I think this is a keeper. Life is good!

49113E5D-B4CA-4220-923A-B4626B0BF071.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 444 SE: 9 SR: 583)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: SV/TSC LE Badger
Soap: PAA Porthos

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: PAA Porthos

Early morning shave and I had to hit this one again. Now that it has had a chance to breath and lathered a couple of times, the intial scent has toned down. I used another brush with a good sized knot in it, but dropped my load time down to 15 seconds. Still whipped up a ton of lather.

I hit the cotton and leather and got to it. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Very nice, smooth shave. I held the scent today with more of the base notes coming through. That was a great shave and I am BBS for the win! As I mentioned, plenty of lather for a post shave while I cleaned my shave gear.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yes ... yes it was. After a few minutes the deep notes were coming through. It’s got the Avon Clint vibe, but it’s not 100%. It may be vintage Aramis, but I haven’t smelled any Aramis prior to 1990 ... so who knows. I dig it though. Got the missus to give me a sniff test and she approves. Life is good!

19FE511B-22A3-4D82-938F-9AF6AF92D445.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 444 SE: 9 SR: 584)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Badger

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

804FF8B4-81CE-4C3F-9CB7-187D700AE799.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 445 SE: 9 SR: 585)

Pre Shave-
Strop: none
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable 84 S2
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Knothead Boar

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

And the beat down continues, with this tub on the ropes. I have a few vintage DE razors on hand, with some to keep and some to part with. This one is a keeper. I grabbed it and a different brush for today’s shave. A 15 second load time and I was ready for business.

This razor is set on 6 and delivered an outstanding shave! Three easy peasy passes and I am BBS for the win! Man I love these vintage razors. Some times I don’t think, just do and that stance is easy to take with a DE. Today I did pay attention because that will help me sort out the keepers. Something I noticed this morning is that I don’t skin stretch with a DE. Guess there is no need. I was paying attention to angle, pressure and feedback. I guess I do that subconsciously. That was a great shave!

I lean more towards straight razors now, but I will keep a handful of DEs around. More for just future proofing, in the event that I am unable to use a straight for whatever reason. Anyway, that’s my thoughts for today, as warped as they may be. I am off work this week, so it will be a great week. Life is good!

8247F289-E755-45CB-810C-014A5C5F6227.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 446 SE: 9 SR: 585)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Fatboy

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Ghost Town Barber

The constant usage and heavy loading has about finished off this soap. I have one, maybe two shaves left to finish this one off. Today I grabbed the Fatboy for another go. I had this listed on the BST for a possible trade. Now I’m not sure about getting rid of it. I may hang onto it. It did a bang up job today on setting 5, but I may crank it up more on the next shave, just for giggles.

I have a few aftershaves that are left after the soap is used up. I don’t mind that at all, it gives me the opportunity to purchase a replacement soap without the aftershave cost. Ghost Town Barber is one of those AS. Today it’s spicing up the LNHC Barber Shoppe. Great shave to start the day. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 447 SE: 9 SR: 585)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Fatboy

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Clint

Kept most of the same gear, because it was on hand. I did change out the AS since I haven’t used it in a while. Once again the Fatboy delivered and I am BBS for the win! This soap is toast and I am stoked to have an empty tub to wind down the year. Smooth shaved and smelling great. Life is good!

3AC54252-37D0-4D8C-884C-48D3DA8C4A1E.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 447 SE: 9 SR: 586)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Ralf Aust
Soap: Stirling Nag Champa

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Nag Champa

Took a new direction in the scent category today and went full on incense. Started with a soaked boar and a 30 second load time. That whipped up a really nice lather and that scent ... oh my gosh.

Stayed with my usual 10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was an outstanding shave ... oh yeah. The Aust made effortless work of the stubble and the scent strength stayed throughout the shave. I am BBS and smell amazing!

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yes it was. Life is good!

2AA21909-41BD-4DE2-A91D-11167D9A8A18.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 447 SE: 9 SR: 587)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Ralf Aust
Soap: Stirling Scarn

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Scarn

Today is a Black Friday scent from Stirling. This one is inspired by Dior Sauvage (?). Soaked the boar for a few minutes in warm water and gave it a gentle squeeze. A 30 second load time whipped up a nice wet, slick lather. The opening notes off the tub remind me of another Stirling soap, but I can’t place it.

Stayed with my usual 10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a great shave! Three smooth passes from the Aust and I was once again BBS for the win! (I didn’t want to overlook that Thom) I also had enough lather for a post shave while I cleaned my shave gear.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A heavy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! This one undergoes a few changes in scent and then the base notes shine through. This one is a keeper. Life is good!

Top Bottom