What's new

Milder than an EJDE89

I enjoy milder razors, the stand-outs for me, in order of preference is the ASD2, English Flare Tip Rocket, Schick Krona and EFB Tech. The ASD2 with a feather blade is for me in a different league in terms of smoothness and going ATG with minimum effort. It shaves more similar to my Flare tip Rocket than my Techs, but is smoother than both. All are excellent shavers though. I also have the GC.68; I think it shaves well enougth but not having a ribbed or scalloped baseplate bar was a mistake in my view and the gap between the edge of the razor blade and the edge of the top cap is to large. Also, if balance in a razor is important to you, even with all their handle choices, Razorock seem to not quite get it right. That said their SLOC (rebranded Yaqi Mellon) is excellent and a better shaver than the GC.68.

When i read this thread again I decided to test my recommendations, the Rockwell 6s R3 and the Giesen und Forsthoff Timor again and let them compete.
The result is... The same. The shaves felt similar and the result too. Maybe the Timor is during the shave a bit more rough but the result a tad smoother. But really, almost the same.

I enjoy milder razors, the stand-outs for me, in order of preference is the ASD2, English Flare Tip Rocket, Schick Krona and EFB Tech. The ASD2 with a feather blade is for me in a different league in terms of smoothness and going ATG with minimum effort. It shaves more similar to my Flare tip Rocket than my Techs, but is smoother than both. All are excellent shavers though. I also have the GC.68; I think it shaves well enougth but not having a ribbed or scalloped baseplate bar was a mistake in my view and the gap between the edge of the razor blade and the edge of the top cap is to large. Also, if balance in a razor is important to you, even with all their handle choices, Razorock seem to not quite get it right. That said their SLOC (rebranded Yaqi Mellon) is excellent and a better shaver than the GC.68.
I have been alternating between the Game Changer, and the Baili BR176. Focusing on a close shave, with less irritation. Technique seems to be the major factor, although the Baili, being milder, requires a bit more pressure on some areas to get as close. Today I used a Nacet in the GC, and it was as good a shave as I've gotten so far.
So, I'm not so much focused on a milder razor any more. Now, a smoother one would be great! I also have an EJ DE87, and I really don't notice much difference, other than it's slightly milder than the GC. The ASD2 sounds interesting, but based on my experience with the Baili (not comparable, of course), a milder razor may not improve things for me. I'm also interested in the Yaqi Mellon, does Yaqi make any other mild razor heads? There store really doesn't have much information.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Milder than a DE89, not as mild or as persnickety on angle as an AS-D2, and just went out of production so may be hard to find: the Above the Tie Windsor with a mild (M) plate. They also shifted from M to MR, between mild and regular.

I have been alternating between the Game Changer, and the Baili BR176. Focusing on a close shave, with less irritation. Technique seems to be the major factor, although the Baili, being milder, requires a bit more pressure on some areas to get as close. Today I used a Nacet in the GC, and it was as good a shave as I've gotten so far.
So, I'm not so much focused on a milder razor any more. Now, a smoother one would be great! I also have an EJ DE87, and I really don't notice much difference, other than it's slightly milder than the GC. The ASD2 sounds interesting, but based on my experience with the Baili (not comparable, of course), a milder razor may not improve things for me. I'm also interested in the Yaqi Mellon, does Yaqi make any other mild razor heads? There store really doesn't have much information.
The Baili BR176 is a great shaver. I am not now familiar with Yaqi's latest line-up but I think you may have answered your own question. Spend time familiarising yourself with the Baili, monogamy with one razor for a period of time will enhance your technique no end and you can experiment with different blades. Try it with an ASCO orange or Rapira Lux if available in your neck of the woods. Whilst the ASD2 razor is superb, it takes time to learn. Whilst spending time with the Baili, consider setting yourself the goal of purchasing a few vintage Gillette's at a keen price, even if you are adverse to vintage, at this stage of your wet shaving journey. Be patient, time is now on your side. Aim for a Tech (they're all good) a standard Super Speed, or a Schick Krona. Hopefully you will find a good user grade at $20 or less. You have already done the hard work, great, smooth, enjoyable shaves will come with a little more patience. Trust in your own preferences and experience, they will be your best guide, tune into them and try not to chase a close shave or use pressure at this stage. The close shaves will come automatically in time. Easy for me to write, I know, harder to believe or do.

To each his own. I've now put my Henson AL13+ head on a stainless steel handle and it's my daily driver. Good luck in your search for your razor.
+1 for a s-s or titanium handle if weight is the showstopper for Hensons. Maggards for budget s-s and the Razorock titanium halo for reasonably priced ti or for s-s.

Surprisingly, the s-s handles balance nicely with the alu Henson head. I used the ti Halo handle on my RR yesterday to good effect, so it wasn't money wasted.

If there's something else you don't like about Hensons, I can't help. No accounting for taste eh ;-)

... Thom

... So, I'm not so much focused on a milder razor any more. Now, a smoother one would be great! I also have an EJ DE87, and I really don't notice much difference, other than it's slightly milder than the GC. The ASD2 sounds interesting, but based on my experience with the Baili (not comparable, of course), a milder razor may not improve things for me. I'm also interested in the Yaqi Mellon, does Yaqi make any other mild razor heads? There store really doesn't have much information.
I'm not advocating for a Gamechanger, but rather the concept of a more efficient, less mild razor, as you seem to be observing as well.

In the two short weeks since adding to my now quiver of two razors (the first one being a Henson AL 13+), I'm coming to see the virtues others have discussed: fewer passes with a more efficient setup can result in less irritation.

After 3 shaves with the .68-P baseplate, I mustered up the courage to try the .84-P plate.

It might be even less irritating! I need more time to determine this. It certainly has shifted my thinking, however..

... Thom

The Game Changer for me is harsh, no matter the head. I can get weepers too, if not careful. I realize that the Henson looks like a Star Trek original Series shuttle craft, but that just ties in with its space connection. The mild (*) really is fantastic. It has zero blade exposure and the same gap as the Game Changer. It also clamps the blade and shaves more efficiently. The Game Changer is pretty nice, but the fit and finish and tolerances of the Henson are a lot better. I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Game Changer really isn't in the same league.

@gpjoe kindly sent me a Tech, and I tried it out this morning. Loaded with a Nacet (one of my sharper blades), it gave me a great shave - comparable to the best I can do so far. A couple hours after the shave, I'm feeling less irritaion on my neck than I usually get. I definitely noticed while doing ATG there, it seemed to be cutting better, with less effort. It's mild, but seemed to get a little closer than the Baili. I will be keeping this in my rotation.

Last edited:
@gpjoe kindly sent me a Tech, and I tried it out this morning. Loaded with a Nacet (one of my sharper blades), it gave me a great shave - comparable to the best I can do so far. A couple hours after the shave, I'm feeling less irritaion on my neck than I usually get. I definitely noticed while doing ATG there, it seemed to be cutting better, with less effort. It's mild, but seemed to get a little closer than the Baili. I will be keeping this in my rotation.

That is what I have found: the Techs are mild without sacrificing efficiency. Yes, there are more aggressive razors that may remove your whiskers in fewer passes but the Tech seems to strike a good balance for me.

More pressure equals more irritation for me, or a weeper.
So finally milder means more damaging if you're looking for a close shave. You may want to try some Kai. In my experience, blades have a big impact on irritation and Kai blades are quite friendly + they increase exposure by 0.1mm which is significant enough to make a difference.

So finally milder means more damaging if you're looking for a close shave. You may want to try some Kai. In my experience, blades have a big impact on irritation and Kai blades are quite friendly + they increase exposure by 0.1mm which is significant enough to make a difference.
I was able to get a quite good shave with the Tech - it surprised me. Even though it's mild, it was a smooth and efficient shaver, for me.

Top Bottom