What's new

Milder than an EJDE89

I just went through my pile-O-razors and found this:

View attachment 1690392

It's an aluminum handle Tech with zamac cap. I was going to sell it here, but the configuration doesn't exactly match anything that I could find at mr-razor, so I think it's a mash-up of two genuine Gillette Techs: cap and base plate from one razor, handle from another.

Still, all Gillette Tech.

Anyway, if you want it, it's yours, just send me a PM.
Here is the Argentian version of yours Joe
proxy.php

I think it's a complete razor you got there, just the US made model.

Here is the Argentian version of yours Joe
proxy.php

I think it's a complete razor you got there, just the US made model.

I looked for mine and couldn't find an exact match.

It's an M2 date code and the baseplate says "REG US" (upper left) "PAT OFF" (upper right) and "MARCAS REGS" (lower right) along with the Gillette diamond (lower left), but the "Gillette" script (font) on the cap is wrong for the handle...something like that...my head hurts. 😄

Screenshot_20230722_165729_Gallery.jpg

Does sound interesting. Right now, I'm working on troubleshooting my DE shave. I used an Astra SP in the DE89 this morning, and the irritation (mild) was similar to what I got with the same blade yesterday in my GC .68, but it seems I couldn't get as close around my facial hair with the EJ. Maybe I need a smoother blade. I recently tried a Gillette Silver Blue in the same razors, and it was sharper, but left me with no less irritation. I'm doing good prep, making good lather, and shaving carefully, so not sure, but I'd like to improve comfort. I've got Voskhod and Gillette Wilkenson Swords on deck.
The Razorock Game Changer is a harsh razor for me. I have both heads and don't like either. I'd sell it but the market is small and difficult over here.

Do you find the angle of the razor needs to be more precise with the feather?
With a feather blade I can get a bbs from it. I ride the cap to a certain degree. I recently acquired the razor and used it three times and bbs each time. There was not much of a learning curve. All this said, I have several friends who find it too mild. But I enjoy the razor.

I've been comparing mine to my Edwin Jagger DE89 recently. I would say they're pretty similar, the GC gives me a bit closer shave. What do you prefer to the RR?
I prefer the DE89. I like my Henson's (all aggressions) a lot better. I also like my antique Gillette Tech and Slim better. I like a straight razor best of all.

Do you find the angle of the razor needs to be more precise with the feather?
Absolutely. Hitting the right angle is the key to the ASD2, and it is trickier to do than with the Merkur, DE89, Tech, etc. When you get it and are consistent the results are wonderful, but if you are "off" things go south and the ASD2 can definitely bite, especially with a Feather blade. It's a beautiful razor and I've enjoyed it, but for now it's shelved as the 34 and Progress just fit my style better.

Does sound interesting. Right now, I'm working on troubleshooting my DE shave. I used an Astra SP in the DE89 this morning, and the irritation (mild) was similar to what I got with the same blade yesterday in my GC .68, but it seems I couldn't get as close around my facial hair with the EJ. Maybe I need a smoother blade. I recently tried a Gillette Silver Blue in the same razors, and it was sharper, but left me with no less irritation. I'm doing good prep, making good lather, and shaving carefully, so not sure, but I'd like to improve comfort. I've got Voskhod and Gillette Wilkenson Swords on deck.
Sounds interesting.
But the de89 and the Gamechanger have something in common. That's positive blade exposure.
Positive blade exposure forces at least me to shave very carefully. As well as a strong negative Blade exposure. For me neutral or close to neutral blade exposure works far better, paired with a smaller blade gap.
Maybe that can help you.

Sounds interesting.
But the de89 and the Gamechanger have something in common. That's positive blade exposure.
Positive blade exposure forces at least me to shave very carefully. As well as a strong negative Blade exposure. For me neutral or close to neutral blade exposure works far better, paired with a smaller blade gap.
Maybe that can help you.
In a couple of the Gamechanger threads, I see where the exposure ranges from neutral for the .68-P to to somewhat positive for the .84-P. I haven't seen numbers (just undimensioned photos).

I assume that the new .76-P baseplate is in between the two (less positive than the .84-P and more than the .68-P).

... Thom

In a couple of the Gamechanger threads, I see where the exposure ranges from neutral for the .68-P to to somewhat positive for the .84-P. I haven't seen numbers (just undimensioned photos).

I assume that the new .76-P baseplate is in between the two (less positive than the .84-P and more than the .68-P).

... Thom
Razorock says all Gamechanger pladtes have positive exposure. That corresponds to how the 68 felt for me.

Razorock says all Gamechanger pladtes have positive exposure. That corresponds to how the 68 felt for me.
That's interesting. I wonder how accurate (parallax) the photos in that post were.

I don't have a basis of comparison, with my only other razor being a Henson +.

Out of idle curiosity, I'm tempted to repeat this person's photos - if only to correlate what I'm experiencing with the geometry.

... Thom

Last edited:
The Henson is one of the few that gives zero blade exposure. There are some others, but the Henson is probably the most popular. It certainly has the tightest tolerances, coming from the space industry as they do. Henson is named in honor of William Henson, who patented the first modern shaped, or T shaped DE safety razor in 1847.

Well, I have a couple of milder razors on the way (Gillette Tech and Baili BD176, so I'll be testing them when they arrive.
For the moment, I am working on lather and technique, and trying a less-sharp blade. Technique seems to be the area
where I can make the most improvement. Even though I've been wetshaving for years, most of that time has been using
a brushless cream.

Well, I have a couple of milder razors on the way (Gillette Tech and Baili BD176, so I'll be testing them when they arrive.
For the moment, I am working on lather and technique, and trying a less-sharp blade. Technique seems to be the area
where I can make the most improvement. Even though I've been wetshaving for years, most of that time has been using
a brushless cream.
That Tech will be good and mild. What year?

Your next razor should be a Henson mild.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@filedog , I just read the entire thread.... Am I understanding you correctly? Do you trim around a beard and mustache? That's what I think I you are doing.

Our youngest son does the same thing. He was using the HD 34C, i.e., the 38C. He liked the heavier, longer handle. Lately, he's been using a barber razor.. one of the shavettes that takes half DE blades. He thought, originally, that he had to buy those special half blades, but I showed him how to easily break a DE blade in half and they fit perfectly. I gave him one of my Stainless Steel AC shavettes. He likes the blades but the longer length of the AC blades are something he'll either like... or not. He isn't sure at this point.

A thinner head might help you get those areas above your mustache that you shave to set off your beard for that nicely trimmed look. I'm also assuming your are keeping your neck clean as well.

I shave my entire face so my needs don't match up with the problems you are trying to solve. But I do use a thinner head razor around my nose because I have a few whiskers that grow very close to my nose. For me, a thinner head and a razor design where the ends of the blade is closer to the ends of the cap work better for me. Maybe a RazoRock Lup 0.58 might work for you. Even the aluminum Lupo might do the trick. I don't really know.

All the razors I use on a regular basis are probably out of your current price range so I won't recommend any of those. I do think a Merkur Progress might work for you... or a Gillette Tech. The USA made Techs seem to be plentiful on eBay or other such sites and they aren't that expensive. You should be able to find one that is inexpensive but shows very little wear. If you are willing to pay a little bit more, there are guys on Etsy who sell slightly better quality, hand selected Techs. Some of them are only $20 or so. They also have quite a selection of other Vintage models from Gillette and/or other manufacturers. If you do a search for "Vintage razors" on Etsy, you should be able to find several vendors. Same with eBay.

That Tech will be good and mild. What year?

Your next razor should be a Henson mild.
Not sure what year, it's a zamak head/aluminum handle model, so newer, I guess? I haven't gotten it yet.
I'd try a Henson if I had access to one, but the design just isn't my cup of tea.

@filedog , I just read the entire thread.... Am I understanding you correctly? Do you trim around a beard and mustache? That's what I think I you are doing.

Our youngest son does the same thing. He was using the HD 34C, i.e., the 38C. He liked the heavier, longer handle. Lately, he's been using a barber razor.. one of the shavettes that takes half DE blades. He thought, originally, that he had to buy those special half blades, but I showed him how to easily break a DE blade in half and they fit perfectly. I gave him one of my Stainless Steel AC shavettes. He likes the blades but the longer length of the AC blades are something he'll either like... or not. He isn't sure at this point.

A thinner head might help you get those areas above your mustache that you shave to set off your beard for that nicely trimmed look. I'm also assuming your are keeping your neck clean as well.

I shave my entire face so my needs don't match up with the problems you are trying to solve. But I do use a thinner head razor around my nose because I have a few whiskers that grow very close to my nose. For me, a thinner head and a razor design where the ends of the blade is closer to the ends of the cap work better for me. Maybe a RazoRock Lup 0.58 might work for you. Even the aluminum Lupo might do the trick. I don't really know.

All the razors I use on a regular basis are probably out of your current price range so I won't recommend any of those. I do think a Merkur Progress might work for you... or a Gillette Tech. The USA made Techs seem to be plentiful on eBay or other such sites and they aren't that expensive. You should be able to find one that is inexpensive but shows very little wear. If you are willing to pay a little bit more, there are guys on Etsy who sell slightly better quality, hand selected Techs. Some of them are only $20 or so. They also have quite a selection of other Vintage models from Gillette and/or other manufacturers. If you do a search for "Vintage razors" on Etsy, you should be able to find several vendors. Same with eBay.
I wear what was known as a "spanish beard" in olden days, so it doesn't cover my whole face. The Game Changer head is nice and small, it works great for detailing.
I do have a tech on the way, so I will definitely try it, when it gets here.

Not sure what year, it's a zamak head/aluminum handle model, so newer, I guess? I haven't gotten it yet.
I'd try a Henson if I had access to one, but the design just isn't my cup of tea.
If it is an older Tech it will be solid brass. it will be coated with chrome, nickel, or gold.

Here is an interesting video. It shows your old multi-blade razors and why they are so terrible vs. a high tech Henson.

Top Bottom