What's new

Milder than an EJDE89

Tatara Masamune comes to mind here. Not sure if it’s milder than the 89, but sure shaves a lot better.

Don’t overlook the 34c. I found it a much better shaver than the 89. My face hated the 89 for some reason.

I don't think that's milder than the DE89.
For me the Merkur 34G is a bit milder than the DE89. I never nick myself with the Merkur 34, but with the DE89 it can happen. The Feather AS-D2 is an extremely nice razor. Its aggressiveness is somewhat dependent on the angle at which it contacts your face. Feather used to sell a plastic razor called the Popular. I believe that its aggressiveness was very similar to the AS-D2. It was both highly regarded and inexpensive.

Well, I decided I wanted to try a really mild, 3 piece razor with a thin head. I ordered a Baili BD176.
Not much of an investment, I can see if a mild razor is really going to work for me. Also, I have other
handles that will fit, so I can tailor the weight. I'm going to hold off on vintage for now, I had some in
the past, but I don't feel like digging through ebay at this point.
I believe that the Baili copies the head design of another popular (possibly vintage) razor. Please let us know how that works out.

Do you prefer mild razors? What did you settle on?
My preference is like a Rockwell 6s R3 and Giesen und Forsthoff Timor. Sometimes I use the Merkur 34 g and the Mühle R89 which are slightly more aggressive. The Timor is slightly milder than R3 using the Rockwell.

You might not like what I have to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Try a good, professionally sharpened straight razor. You will likely never have irritation again.

The Henson + (mild) is my second recommendation, though I know you said you don't like the looks. That space age wonder will make a believer out of you, though.

The Rockwell is a good suggestion. I may just stick with the DE89 for now, or get a SuperSpeed or a Weishi 9306.
Also, maybe a Slim adjustable?
Weisi 9306 series in the recent years have batches with quite positive exposure, so stay away!
Any 1950's to 1970's Tech will give you the mildest and smoothest shave.

They are almost natural daily shavers and were GI issue for decades.

This is what the ASD2 head effectively copied, so you may as well get the real thing for a fraction of the price.

The mid period Techs had a blade gap of around .20 - .26mm. Perfect. The mid 50's to early 60's examples are probably the mildest. The English versions of the same date seem to have a slightly higher gap.

Here are some excellent examples on the US bay.
gillette tech razor for sale | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gillette+tech+razor&_sacat=0&_fcid=1

Also the later examples of the Super Speed, especially the black handled, are pleasantly mild and excellent daily shavers also if you prefer a TTO. These were made from the late 60's to the mid 80's.
proxy.php

Again, they should be widely available in good condition at a great price.
Feaher AS-D2 imitates more or less the earlier Tech designs from the 40s with the middle part of the bottom plate being falt.

Black handle Super-Speeds have more exposure than the 60s Super Speeds and EJ DE89. Especially the one you show from 1985 the 80s has a bigger gap. The guy asks for a milder razor.

Last edited:
Well, I decided I wanted to try a really mild, 3 piece razor with a thin head. I ordered a Baili BD176.
Not much of an investment, I can see if a mild razor is really going to work for me. Also, I have other
handles that will fit, so I can tailor the weight. I'm going to hold off on vintage for now, I had some in
the past, but I don't feel like digging through ebay at this point.
I had this one (BR171) and liked it. I wish that I would have held onto it, but I passed it onto someone else. I may have to order another one.

For me the Merkur 34G is a bit milder than the DE89. I never nick myself with the Merkur 34, but with the DE89 it can happen. The Feather AS-D2 is an extremely nice razor. Its aggressiveness is somewhat dependent on the angle at which it contacts your face. Feather used to sell a plastic razor called the Popular. I believe that its aggressiveness was very similar to the AS-D2. It was both highly regarded and inexpensive.
The popular is definitely mild and milder than a Merkur 34 HD

I love Progress, it's one of my favorites but I know a friend with sensitive skin who finds it too aggressive even on 1. He shaves only with 33/34C and brothers or Rockwell 6C plates 1 or 2.
I agree with that. I love my progress but even full closed it has positive blade exposure despite the mild gap. I can definitely feel it on my skin.

Lovely razor though.

You might not like what I have to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Try a good, professionally sharpened straight razor. You will likely never have irritation again.

The Henson + (mild) is my second recommendation, though I know you said you don't like the looks. That space age wonder will make a believer out of you, though.
Being a "knife guy", using a naked blade of that degree of sharpness near my face leaves me queasy. Maybe I'll try one someday.

I'm interested in the Henson, but the design and light weight are not my favorite. I keep seeing Henson mentioned with + or even +++, what is that about? I can't find information on that.

Being a "knife guy", using a naked blade of that degree of sharpness near my face leaves me queasy. Maybe I'll try one someday.

I'm interested in the Henson, but the design and light weight are not my favorite. I keep seeing Henson mentioned with + or even +++, what is that about? I can't find information on that.

Actually, I've ventured into straight razor shaving and found two things:

- It seems very difficult to cut yourself.
- You can do more passes without irritation.

Of course this assumes that you are over the fear of using an open blade, and confident in handling the razor in terms of proper grip.

My first stab at using an open blade was shavettes, using half DE blades and AC format blades. Those are much more likely to punish bad form than a straight razor, but also got me over the trepidation of using an open blade.

The dots indicate the degree of aggression. * is mild, ** is medium, and *** is aggressive.there is zero blade exposure.

I had all the fears and heard all the fabrications. I finally decided that people had shaved for 10,000 years with a straight razor of some sort and if it were that bad no one would have done it.

Actually, I've ventured into straight razor shaving and found two things:

- It seems very difficult to cut yourself.
- You can do more passes without irritation.

Of course this assumes that you are over the fear of using an open blade, and confident in handling the razor in terms of proper grip.

My first stab at using an open blade was shavettes, using half DE blades and AC format blades. Those are much more likely to punish bad form than a straight razor, but also got me over the trepidation of using an open blade.
Does sound interesting. Right now, I'm working on troubleshooting my DE shave. I used an Astra SP in the DE89 this morning, and the irritation (mild) was similar to what I got with the same blade yesterday in my GC .68, but it seems I couldn't get as close around my facial hair with the EJ. Maybe I need a smoother blade. I recently tried a Gillette Silver Blue in the same razors, and it was sharper, but left me with no less irritation. I'm doing good prep, making good lather, and shaving carefully, so not sure, but I'd like to improve comfort. I've got Voskhod and Gillette Wilkenson Swords on deck.

...Right now, I'm working on troubleshooting my DE shave...

Of course. I didn't mean to derail your thread. 🙂

I try not to advocate for any method or tool, figuring that anyone who frequents this site will try the things that interest them and eventually find their own comfort level.

Addressing your concerns:

The Gillette Tech has been a very good shaver for me, and my preference is mild razors. I typically get a DFS+ shave in three passes with touchup. As with any of my preferred razors, I only get irritation if I over-shave trying to achieve perfection.

I also favor the Feather ASD2 which somebody else mentioned. If you compare it to the Tech you will see that they are very similar in design. I (among others) view it as the "modern" version of the Tech. The shave is very similar to me, and a Tech costs a lot less.

You mention that you like the thinner profile of the Razorock, and the Tech is similar in that regard. Not sure if it is critical to you but even the thinnest Superspeeds are noticeably thicker than the GC, ASD2, and Tech.

I won't comment on blades other than to say: I've used a bunch and can't tell the difference. That's not to say there isn't a difference, but FOR ME changing the razor has more impact on the shave than changing the (brand of) blade.

Of course. I didn't mean to derail your thread. 🙂

No problem, the straight could be a solution.

I also favor the Feather ASD2 which somebody else mentioned. If you compare it to the Tech you will see that they are very similar in design. I (among others) view it as the "modern" version of the Tech. The shave is very similar to me, and a Tech costs a lot less.

You mention that you like the thinner profile of the Razorock, and the Tech is similar in that regard. Not sure if it is critical to you but even the thinnest Superspeeds are noticeably thicker than the GC, ASD2, and Tech.
Another good point. I shave above my mustache, and a thicker head would be a problem.
I won't comment on blades other than to say: I've used a bunch and can't tell the difference. That's not to say there isn't a difference, but FOR ME changing the razor has more impact on the shave than changing the (brand of) blade.
Ha, that's funny! I was reading something to that effect here recently, what if all blades are the same? A few I've tried recently have been pretty darn similar, but the Bic Chrome Platinums, at least the batch I got, were sharp but HARSH, definitely different than the Astra I used today.

Another good point. I shave above my mustache, and a thicker head would be a problem.

Ha, that's funny! I was reading something to that effect here recently, what if all blades are the same? A few I've tried recently have been pretty darn similar, but the Bic Chrome Platinums, at least the batch I got, were sharp but HARSH, definitely different than the Astra I used today.

There are some that are sharper, some duller (milder?) but, to me, most fall somewhere in the middle.

The prevailing opinion here is that the Bic blades fall on the sharper end of the curve, to me they are just another blade.

I've got 1500 blades (?) half of which are Astra SP, and if I never buy another blade I'll die happy. 😄

I just went through my pile-O-razors and found this:

20230722_162222.jpg

It's an aluminum handle Tech with zamac cap. I was going to sell it here, but the configuration doesn't exactly match anything that I could find at mr-razor, so I think it's a mash-up of two genuine Gillette Techs: cap and base plate from one razor, handle from another.

Still, all Gillette Tech.

Anyway, if you want it, it's yours, just send me a PM.

Top Bottom