What's new

Mike's first date in a long time last night.......

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Have you ever strolled up to a display of food on a buffet or say a bakery glass counter and you scan the items...seeking out the items that appeal to you? The appearance, supposed texture, seasonings, sauce or lack of sauce... portion size, imagining the spice content, whether the item would be best served hot, room temperature, or chilled?

Ever go to a movie and arrive a bit early and you suffer through the previews of coming attractions....Action film....romantic comedy...indie surprise....chick flick?

Now.... in both matters you make your selection....you choose the food item that really appeals to you...it appears to have just the right level of spice and complexity... it looks like it is best served hot but you would be daring and try it at other temps as well. It comes to you on fairly nice tableware...you notice as you take it to your table that the china is in fact a cleverly disquised pressboard composition. The attendant hands you a fine napkin but inside is plastic "picnicware". You slice into your selection and it is bland.... no seasoning....no refinement at all....you've had Big Macs that resemble Beef Wellington compared to this offering. The meal just falls flat.

You see a particular "trailer" for a movie that is really interesting...it makes you laugh...it contains a bit of suspense and great dialouge. The actors seem to really counterbalance each other in an especially wonderful way. You decide you have to see this movie. When it premieres you attend the film and realize that the trailer was indeed the movie...that was all there was...somehow they built another 2 hours of totally unrelated waste of film around the 3 minute trailer. You leave unsatisfied.

Those scenarios in a nutshell describe my date last night. My first "date" in a long long time. I have discussed my dating here before so I appreciate being able to vent a bit. The woman that I took out I have admired from afar for months...we have been sort of friendly in business issues and I never really had the courage to ask her out. It turns out she has wanted to get together with me for a very long time but thought I was either not interested or was already in a significant realtionship. We both mutually discovered our interests in a brief way the Wednesday before Christmas when she asked me to attend a New Year's Eve party with her. I later suggested we might want to have dinner a few days prior to our first official date on New Year's Eve so as to break the ice.... she agreed. That was last night.... My feeling is that there is either chemistry or there is not...I wondered where that attraction chemistry escaped to as I spent dinner with her last night. I plan on attending the New Year's Eve party with her because apparently there will be some very interesting people there. That is unless she is simultaneously typing out a similar tale on her Facebook or blog this morning.

Yes, I have experienced the same. I write it up to the following possibilities:
1. Wanting and having are two different things.
2. You see a different person in the personal setting because you are much more focused on the person, both visually and mentally.
3. Sometimes, chemistry may need a couple of dates to brew.

Either way, enjoy the evening and a Happy New Year to you.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Here is an email I sent to my sister who I'm very close to and follows my dating adventures like reading a trashy novel, describing a bit of the "date"...

Well...she has a yippy Pomerainian AND a black cat...and a Persian cat... really nice house/villa home in Meadowpoint gated area... decorated like a rooms to go display....she is afraid to eat calamari because she is an animal lover and it looks like a baby animal...she had never had scallops until last night...she wanted sweet tea whilst we were waiting for our table barside...( Bonefish Grill)..I ordered a Heineken...told the barkeep I needed a sweet tea.... he kinda smirked and said they don't have sweet tea...I went back to her...tell her no sweet tea...she says...Tequilla Sunrise...I go back to the bartender and say tequilla Sunrise....He and I both thought that was a pretty far stretch from sweet tea...I think they had to f*****g get out a bartender's Guide from 1974 to actually make the drink.... Im trying to block the remainder of the evening out of my mind...I still plan on going to the party unless she never returns my calls because as she described the potential attendees...they seem very much straight out of a Fellini film and Im desperately looking forward to going....

Here is an email I sent to my sister who I'm very close to and follows my dating adventures like reading a trashy novel, describing a bit of the "date"...

Well...she has a yippy Pomerainian AND a black cat...and a Persian cat... really nice house/villa home in Meadowpoint gated area... decorated like a rooms to go display....she is afraid to eat calamari because she is an animal lover and it looks like a baby animal...she had never had scallops until last night...she wanted sweet tea whilst we were waiting for our table barside...( Bonefish Grill)..I ordered a Heineken...told the barkeep I needed a sweet tea.... he kinda smirked and said they don't have sweet tea...I went back to her...tell her no sweet tea...she says...Tequilla Sunrise...I go back to the bartender and say tequilla Sunrise....He and I both thought that was a pretty far stretch from sweet tea...I think they had to f*****g get out a bartender's Guide from 1974 to actually make the drink.... Im trying to block the remainder of the evening out of my mind...I still plan on going to the party unless she never returns my calls because as she described the potential attendees...they seem very much straight out of a Fellini film and Im desperately looking forward to going....

y'know - you can punt a Pomerainian a REALLY LONG WAY!

Hang in there, man.

If calamari look like baby animals... and are therefore inedible... cancel the suckling pig, eh?

Hang in there, man.

Jon

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
y'know - you can punt a Pomerainian a REALLY LONG WAY!

Jon

You know when I arrived at the house to pick her up...the DOG goes into something like a scene from the Exorcist....it was like the animal was seeing the Anti-Christ arriving to whisk his "Mommy" away to a certain death. Of course comments like "He NEVER freaks out like this with anybodyyyyyyyy!!!!!"
kinda set the tone for what would become quite ominous...

Dude...I wish I had the whole evening on film....

Have fun at the party and good luck finding another woman.

Sounds like you spotted a quarter on the street but once you picked it up you saw it was only a nickel.

You know when I arrived at the house to pick her up...the DOG goes into something like a scene from the Exorcist....it was like the animal was seeing the Anti-Christ arriving to whisk his "Mommy" away to a certain death. Of course comments like "He NEVER freaks out like this with anybodyyyyyyyy!!!!!"
kinda set the tone for what would become quite ominous...

Dude...I wish I had the whole evening on film....

I'm wondering what sort of Fellini-esque shindig she's going to lead you into - make sure the authorities know your itinerary. Maybe it will be an "Eyes Wide Shut" kinda thing... yikes! Not Fellini - Kubrick! Or... or... David Lynch. Definitely - keep your cell dialed 9-1-1, thumb on "send."

(Or not. Might be fun.)

Fifty bucks says you go to the party w/ her and leave w/ somebody else :thumbup1:......

........or else meet the next Mrs. Mike.....:wink:

Good luck buddy.

B

bluefoxicy

... wow.

I'm not even sure how to take a girl out on a date. I've never been on a date in my life.

Though, I'm half your age. Which around here means if I was a chick you'd probably try to date me too, at the same time as someone even younger and someone your own age just to keep things balanced (40 years total of teenagers, and a 40 year old wife... yeah that's balanced).

Huh... maybe I'm a couple decades too young to be dating yet.:001_huh:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm wondering what sort of Fellini-esque shindig she's going to lead you into - make sure the authorities know your itinerary. Maybe it will be an "Eyes Wide Shut" kinda thing... yikes! Not Fellini - Kubrick! Or... or... David Lynch. Definitely - keep your cell dialed 9-1-1, thumb on "send."

(Or not. Might be fun.)

According to her there is going to be at least one attendee with a fairly recent spectacular surgical "augmentation" and a woman she referred to as a "real ****" (edited for standards and practices). Her description of her boss reminded me of the Wall Street swindler Marty Frankel. A nervous type who surrounds himself with beautiful women. Watch this space for updates!

I'm concerned that everyone there will be wearing "I Love My Pomeranian" t-shirts. Make sure you park where no one can block you in. Dating at our age can be a real adventure can't it?

Post the address here. If we don't see a post from you by noon 1/1/10, we'll call animal planet.

http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=11195380

Last edited:
You'll have a lot more duds than good dates. Just gotta take the bad times with the good.

At least you know that if you do end up going to the party, you won't have any expectations or stress on you. Just relax and enjoy the evening!!

Hang in there bro -- keep fightin the good fight!

Mike, I am truly sorry you had such a miserable time. I agree with Tim G. above, "Sometimes chemistry takes a few dates to brew." Had that happen to me decades ago, ended up going out with her for a couple years. But she turned out to be insane, so bad example.

You and I are the same age - 48 for a few more weeks in my case. You might consider a recreational pursuit that appeals to women - like biking (sorry, it's what I know). Health conscious singles riding trails in the hills - oh sorry, forgot, Florida. Okay, you probably have some great trails around the beaches and inland.

You might also be geographically handicapped: I have a friend who moved to South Dakota and in his neck of the woods everyone his/our age is married - how is that possible?

I'd hang in there for the Fellini like New Year's characters, give her another chance, and see what develops. Who knows? She went from "sweet tea" to "Tequila Sunrise" - what if the second date has that kind of change? Happy New Year!

Sometimes its better if the chemistry takes awhile. That way, you can find out if they're crazy before you get attached. I've met and gone out with attractive women that I was glad I didn't develop chemistry or get involved once I got to know them.

Live2Ride may be right, she may go from "Sweet Tea" to "Tequila Sunrise" but then again, she may also go from "Sweet Tea" to "Bloody Mary".

Top Bottom