What's new

Micromatic Monday

An especially happy 4th to you all! I have a new firecracker grand niece, just born on the 4th of July.

MMBT / Bullet Tip / Flying Wing / Guiding Eye
Gem Blue Star (3)
Lea Mentolada cream, finger lathered

1E5BEC63-D511-44CF-991B-C8BCF3C97290.jpeg

Fast shave, should be traveling soon.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well I saw that handle @GAW9576 and @Rosseforp had on their razors recently and thought why not make one for myself also to join the Micromatic handle conversion club brought back to use from the damaged razor bin. I had a Micromatic that was sent to me with a broken blade stop years ago and it was taken apart for pictures of what one looks like disassembled. So with my hand tools I hacksawed the nip off and filed it flat and drilled it out 4.2mm and hand tap it 5mmDia X.8 mm pitch with a old tap I had. It will make a perfect handle for steep (riding the bar) shaving because I like a short handle for that type of shaving(less leverage, less weight and easy to maintain angle near the collar bone area). Total length just under 2 3/4 inches which is perfect and we all know they have excellent grip who have used a Micromatic.
Gem Micromatic handle converted (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Happy 4th to those in the USA!
PXL_20220704_202913016-01.jpeg

GEM Safety Razor / GEM wedge blade
Tabac
Rudy Vey, 2020 B&B Contributors' Brush

A very nice shave today with this American razor. The edge was recently touched up on a Les Lat coticule and did it's job with aplomb. The DFS result was more than satisfactory, given my lack of practice with this gem.

I did a fifth run on my Gem (1912) Squathead and I almost have the same confidence as when I use my Tech. I have been using the light pressure and flat against the face technique (more or less), but found a variation: I used a little more pressure on the head, but tipping it up slightly so that the blade is only lightly touching my face. This seems to stretch loose skin and give a more effective shave. I only did this a couple of times, and I hesitate to make it standard practice, fearing I am going to risk cutting myself. Any comments or suggestions?

Ron R

I used my Sherline. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1482959
~doug~
Doug as a Machinist where you last worked & retired now I believe, you still like to tinker with the lathe and looks like you are enjoying that(envy you). I worked in that trade for a lot of years myself and last 25 years on the maintenance side as a Machinist Millwright keeping industry rolling and we had to improvise all the time and make 1 of kind parts so this was a nice little break from my daily routine modifying this handle. I have all kinds of measuring tools and going to let them go soon because of health issues that limit my working in one spot for any length of time or lifting. I have seen some of your other handles you have made and gifted to other B&B members and they are very nice. Were I worked we did Government work:biggrin1:and that keep folks happy who worked there doing small jobs for them also. Glad to see ya having a little fun with the hobby lathe still.

Ron R

ASRazor shave, July 5th 2022

Razor : Ever-ready 1912, made in England later model 1912-Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, very gripey handle with the raised corners, Proven razor for over 100 years of use by ordinary folks, state of the art manufacturing for it's time line.
Blade : Gem SS PTFE (3) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood, nice Bayrum scent(some clove) with excellent lather qualities, different lather foam but excellent protection when the blade hits the face IMO.
Brush : Yaqi Robin 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft spilt end bristle hairs, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood(some clove):001_wub: + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Ever-ready 1912 with a coated Gem blade.(one of those shaves it does not get better!)
SOTD July 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug as a Machinist where you last worked & retired now I believe, you still like to tinker with the lathe and looks like you are enjoying that(envy you). I worked in that trade for a lot of years myself and last 25 years on the maintenance side as a Machinist Millwright keeping industry rolling and we had to improvise all the time and make 1 of kind parts so this was a nice little break from my daily routine modifying this handle. I have all kinds of measuring tools and going to let them go soon because of health issues that limit my working in one spot for any length of time or lifting. I have seen some of your other handles you have made and gifted to other B&B members and they are very nice. Were I worked we did Government work:biggrin1:and that keep folks happy who worked there doing small jobs for them also. Glad to see ya having a little fun with the hobby lathe still.
Machining was in my blood from a very young age, Ron. I wanted to be a pilot like my Dad, but poor eyesight negated that, and I started reading my Grandfather's Roger's Machinist Guide when I was 8 years old, and took every machine shop class that was offered, starting with a sheet metal class in Junior High. I was single pointing threads on Logan engine lathe when I was 13 years old, and started working in Job-Shops after High School for about ten years before I got my Dream Job at 3M in the Air-Powered Orthopedic Division. That was a fantastic company to work for, but after 14 years they sold our division to Conmed, another good company to work for, where I stayed on till retirement.

I was planning on retiring at 65, but a year early the company I had worked at for 34 years moved to Florida, and I took the severance package they offered me, but found that I really missed having a lathe to do Government Work on. The Sherline was very affordable and holds tolerances quite well, considering that the machines I ran at work were capable of holding .000040". I also have a 1920 Brown and Sharp turret lathe I got about 40 years ago that I just pulled out of storage, and I'm just about ready to start restoring to it's original glory.

I had a neighbor that was a Millwright for GM at the South Gate facility where they made Cadillacs, and I'm sure you have done many of the same things he did to keep the assembly line moving. Some pretty funny stories he used to tell me to be sure. Told me he once had to stand on a moving conveyor belt an entire 8 hour shift holding the chain together with pliers while they scurried about to make permanent repairs.:eek6: Gotta keep those cars moving.

~doug~

Well I saw that handle @GAW9576 and @Rosseforp had on their razors recently and thought why not make one for myself also to join the Micromatic handle conversion club brought back to use from the damaged razor bin. I had a Micromatic that was sent to me with a broken blade stop years ago and it was taken apart for pictures of what one looks like disassembled. So with my hand tools I hacksawed the nip off and filed it flat and drilled it out 4.2mm and hand tap it 5mmDia X.8 mm pitch with a old tap I had. It will make a perfect handle for steep (riding the bar) shaving because I like a short handle for that type of shaving(less leverage, less weight and easy to maintain angle near the collar bone area). Total length just under 2 3/4 inches which is perfect and we all know they have excellent grip who have used a Micromatic.
View attachment 1482874
Have some great shaves!

Good work Ron and welcome to the previously unnamed club. I really like the name you came up with too.
The two I made were both from damaged razors too. I have a chrome and a brass/gold wash.

I have been posting here but I don’t own any Micromatics. I have two variations of a Gem 1912. Are posts here appropriate?
@Whiterook beat me to it so I will second that sentiment. The thread was started by a gentleman who is no longer on this forum. He's a friend of mine who I still communicate with outside of the forums. Anyway he started it as a thread to show appreciation for the fantastic but many times overlooked Micromatics. Eventually he and the early group of members that frequented the thread decided to expand to any of the American safety razor brands ( Gem, Star, Eve-Ready and Treet.) that take a Gem blade. Even if they were made before the American Safety Razor (ASR) mergers. For instance Kampfe Bros Star I believe is older than Gem and the others. Eventually they all joined under the ASR brand.

I have been posting here but I don’t own any Micromatics. I have two variations of a Gem 1912. Are posts here appropriate?

As stated, all the ASR Gem bladed razors are very welcome.

Around my neck of the woods, Micromatics tend to be cheap and plentiful in vintage stores (some wildly over-priced of course).

If such is not the case where you are and you are at a US address, I would be happy to PIF you a user grade MM.

As stated, all the ASR Gem bladed razors are very welcome.

Around my neck of the woods, Micromatics tend to be cheap and plentiful in vintage stores (some wildly over-priced of course).

If such is not the case where you are and you are at a US address, I would be happy to PIF you a user grade MM.
Thank you so much for your generosity! Now I will have both, a Monday and a Micromatic!

Top Bottom