What's new

Micromatic Monday

And we're off!! New day, new blade. Nice setup!

I am agonizing (well, more like idly musing) over whether to try to get another shave out of my Blue Star. I feel the pull of the fresh PTFE.
Hey, thanks!! Yup...time for a fresh blade for the new day...nice and smooth. I guess the blades are cheap enough to be ditched...however, I have never used a Blue Star...maybe it's special enough for some last few shaves?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, July 10th 2022

Razor : Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless model, MFG 1945, 17 nib safety bar, mid range, well built and designed for generations + a joy to use.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock blue barber, nice mid range scent + with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my MMCP with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD July 11 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem G Bar
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Cremo horsehair
Pre-shave: Proraso white
Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
Balm: Proraso white
Aftershave: Bootleggers Maduro

Nice result: DFS. But I wasn’t happy with the soap and brush combination. The lather just didn’t produce as nicely as I expect. Still no cuts or irritation.

The warnings about the first shave being a risk and then the blade settles down had me worried as I don’t have enough experience with the blades yet to predict the result. This is, I think, my third Gem blade. But the blade and razor produced for me.

3A45BC98-D193-43C6-B623-480FADAD561C.jpeg

Making the tough decisions to gain the hard historical yards.

BMMOC / Gem Blue Star (4)
Ever-Ready 600BN Badgerlon :eek2:
Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorns
Witch hazel, Stephan Bay Rum

With shower prep to rely on, I pulled out one of my least favored vintage-knotted E-R brushes. While I do have a 100% miracle nylon bright white fiber E-R brush, the Badgerlon can provide the full miserable nylon face-lathering experience under the cover of a badger hair cloak. That badger got its final haircut in vain.

The other question mark was the carbon Blue Star. Shave four, three weeks after it first dipped its edge in lather.

Comfortable blade, no visible corrosion (careful drying), but the efficiency has fallen way off. Uncomfortable brush, but the lather did the job anyway.

Spelled backwards, nylon and carbon both start with NO. My PAL Blue Carbon and GEM Carbon Steel blades don't deliver the longevity of stainless PTFE, but they far outstrip the Blue Stars and don't rouse my inner Luddite the way a nylon knot does. Nylon scared me off modern synthetic knots for a long time.

Fun shave for the wrong reasons. Enjoys your Mondays, all.

90A46E88-02E4-46EE-A05F-375C90A0319A.jpeg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20220710_082416.jpg

Attachments

• 481E200F-B55F-4AEE-A637-8C1D8EFEFAB5.jpeg
    481E200F-B55F-4AEE-A637-8C1D8EFEFAB5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday- July 18th 2022

Razor : Gem Featherweight Generation 1( original low profile top cap)- Mfg 1950-52,Generation 2 1953-54, (higher profile milder top cap installed) Excellent tame mid range, great handling, 1OZ, I really enjoyed my shave this morning with this excellent razor.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap :Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice vanilla scent with light tobacco scent with excellent lather qualities, I like the scent of the soap more than the Aftershave.
Brush : Yaqi Moka 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem Featherweight + a coated Gem blade.
SOTD July 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

MMOC / GEM PTFE (?) / Stirling Lemon Chill (glacial)+Proraso Green Pre-shave / Skin Bracer -- it's gonna be hot this week, so I biked several miles before the sun came up, so I decided to triple up on the menthol for the shave and it was oh so nice. The MMOC can bite/irritate WTG/ATG near BBS result with zero irritation or blood loss (unlike Friday's '08 Single Ring shave). It'll be hotter on Wednesday, so maybe I'll use a 1912, 1914 or a Lather Catcher with the menthol trifecta and add some cold water (maybe a few ice cubes thrown in as well).

@Tanuki, Your comment: "I pulled out one of my least favored vintage-knotted E-R brushes. While I do have a 100% miracle nylon bright white fiber E-R brush, the Badgerlon can provide the full miserable nylon face-lathering experience under the cover of a badger hair cloak." makes me chuckle as I reknotted a "Badgerlon-esque" lucite Century a few months back, for that reason. But my Ever-Ready full Nylon 500N trumps the Century as it looks really cool and seems soft to the touch when dry, but once loaded with soap transforms into all backbone with absolutely no splay, just scratch while at the same time being very floppy to where the "hairs" stick together and don't transfer much lather. Very frustrating, and definitely on the reknot list in the future!
B3 Red Tip.jpg

@Tanuki, Your comment: "I pulled out one of my least favored vintage-knotted E-R brushes. While I do have a 100% miracle nylon bright white fiber E-R brush, the Badgerlon can provide the full miserable nylon face-lathering experience under the cover of a badger hair cloak." makes me chuckle as I reknotted a "Badgerlon-esque" lucite Century a few months back, for that reason. But my Ever-Ready full Nylon 500N trumps the Century as it looks really cool and seems soft to the touch when dry, but once loaded with soap transforms into all backbone with absolutely no splay, just scratch while at the same time being very floppy to where the "hairs" stick together and don't transfer much lather. Very frustrating, and definitely on the reknot list in the future!
View attachment 1490183

You described the 'performance' of my E-R 600 to a T. It is labeled NYLON-LUCITE, two modern miracle materials. They should have suffixed an 'N' on the code as an extra warning. I am pretty sure pure nylon caused lots of bad lather in California, but no explicit warning is stamped on the handle.
D386243F-C3EE-43FC-A0ED-9A08DB23C0BA.jpeg

Thanks to a generous gift from @Tanuki, today I have both a Monday and a Micromatic! I took the new to me razor out for a spin, handles a lot like my Tech. This is the 7th use of the blade for a CCS. I still need to work on getting a close shave under the lip, a difficulty I have with all my Gem razors.

Attachments

• 4D0359D2-3864-443C-9D5F-6387C13BB0C6.jpeg
    4D0359D2-3864-443C-9D5F-6387C13BB0C6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Micromatic Monday while I'm in training for Shark Week. Opportunity for a side-by-side toothy shave off.

MMOC / Gem Blue Star (5) vs GameChanger JAWS .84 / Jaws Platinum (5)
CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Solid Set boar
Badger blends: Richard's Rub then Bimini B
A0FBB974-2E8E-4BD1-96E3-CF6A78F9BF80.jpeg

A fine shave all around, no complaints. But I did finally toss the Gem Blue Star. The Jaws combo did the final cleanup, a small notch above the Blue Star.

Top Bottom